TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Lengthy query, short reply ;)

There is no reason a mage couldn't have a spell book with varying levels of spells. The mu-thief you mention could indeed find a trapped spell book with a symbol of death--but that would be a device that lessened the number of actual spells the book was able to contain.

Greyhawk Campaign PCs have indeed found both traveling and normal spell books--rarely, but on several occasions.

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks for answering my questions, Gary, I appreciate it.

However, there is one thing I'd like you to clarify if you could. Since you give limits to the number of spells contained in each spell book by the spells' level, how would you determine this number if the spells therein were of various levels more then the 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 groupings? E.g., could a standard spell book that already contained 5 ninth level spells (a great find, indeed) contain an additional 5 sixth level spells, or would this violate the level limit for the spell book?

Hope I'm making sense here.

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Thanks for answering my questions, Gary, I appreciate it.

However, there is one thing I'd like you to clarify if you could. Since you give limits to the number of spells contained in each spell book by the spells' level, how would you determine this number if the spells therein were of various levels more then the 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 groupings? E.g., could a standard spell book that already contained 5 ninth level spells (a great find, indeed) contain an additional 5 sixth level spells, or would this violate the level limit for the spell book?

Hope I'm making sense here.

Gray Mouser
Heh, and I'll quote yor earlier post:

"UA states that standard spell books can contain "up to 36 cantrips, 24 spells of 1st-3rd level, up to 16 spells of 4th-6th level, or up to 8 spells of 7th-9th level" (p. 79). Travelling spell books, on the other hand, have the following capacities: "nine cantrips; six spells of 1st, 2nd, and/or 3rd level; four spells of 4th, 5th and/or 6th level; or two spells of 7th, 8th and/or 9th level" (p. 79). "

A spell book can hold 8 spells of 7th+ level. If 5 are inscribed, that means it is at 5/8ths capacity, so it could indeed contain 6 additional spells of 4th-6th level, or 9 of 1st-3rd level.

Cheers,
Gary

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Sure, and Steve at TLG is up to his butt in production alligators, but what the heck, publishers need some flogging now and again :lol:

LOL I guess it's better to "get it right the first time" -- a phrase uttered often by my father whilst I was growing up. :heh: I did not catch the Nostradamus show, but I knew Darlene's husband is an historian.

How long before the Trolls just hook you up to some sort of mind-meld machine and go looking for all the ideas, memories, and RPG goldmines you've got bouncing around in your head? :eek: I guess they'd hook up Mr. Mentzer next to edit you. :p

Quite well thank you very much. My main complaint it lack of energy for long-haul projects. After a couple of hours work I get tired and need to kick back and goof off for a like period. I am doing a lot of most enjoyable reading though :cool:

Oh, you mean my posts. ;) Just kidding, of course. It's heartening to hear you're able to pretty much do what you want during the day. I am sure you'll get the endurance up to tackle the long-haul projects. Putting up with the likes of me and Peter on various boards has to be getting you in "shape". :uhoh:

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh, and I'll quote yor earlier post:

"UA states that standard spell books can contain "up to 36 cantrips, 24 spells of 1st-3rd level, up to 16 spells of 4th-6th level, or up to 8 spells of 7th-9th level" (p. 79). Travelling spell books, on the other hand, have the following capacities: "nine cantrips; six spells of 1st, 2nd, and/or 3rd level; four spells of 4th, 5th and/or 6th level; or two spells of 7th, 8th and/or 9th level" (p. 79). "

A spell book can hold 8 spells of 7th+ level. If 5 are inscribed, that means it is at 5/8ths capacity, so it could indeed contain 6 additional spells of 4th-6th level, or 9 of 1st-3rd level.

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks Gary, that's actually quite a bit clearer now!

Gray Mouser

PS
No wonder my namesake never made it as a mage, this stuff's troublesome ;)

Zudrak

Explorer
gideon_thorne said:
I? I rib someone for wishing to persue perfection in their craft? Perish the thought. *assumes angelic pose # 125*

Is that the pose where it looks like you're in a Sears or JC Penney catalog? :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
LOL I guess it's better to "get it right the first time" -- a phrase uttered often by my father whilst I was growing up. :heh: I did not catch the Nostradamus show, but I knew Darlene's husband is an historian.
A good motto to adhere to, that, but sometimes being expeditious takes precedence :heh:

How long before the Trolls just hook you up to some sort of mind-meld machine and go looking for all the ideas, memories, and RPG goldmines you've got bouncing around in your head? :eek: I guess they'd hook up Mr. Mentzer next to edit you. :p
Someone is actually working along those general lines in reagrds my memories...

Hooking Frank up would assuredly keep him occupied :lol:

Oh, you mean my posts. ;) Just kidding, of course. It's heartening to hear you're able to pretty much do what you want during the day. I am sure you'll get the endurance up to tackle the long-haul projects. Putting up with the likes of me and Peter on various boards has to be getting you in "shape". :uhoh:
Responding to posts, and some of the email messages I receive, is recreational and social.

Delving into a long project where all must be connected and fit correctly for me means keeping one's mind fixed on that work continuously until the work is completed. In all that means no less than six or more hours a day, seven days per week, until concluded.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Thanks Gary, that's actually quite a bit clearer now!

Gray Mouser

PS
No wonder my namesake never made it as a mage, this stuff's troublesome ;)
Careless of me not to go the extra step or two to make sure the matter was crystal clear in the first place :eek:

Having met Harry Fisher, the chap that Fritz Leiber used as the model for Gray Mouser, I suspect the reason for no progressing in magical ability was more do to revels and adventuring than other reasons ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Having met Harry Fisher, the chap that Fritz Leiber used as the model for Gray Mouser, I suspect the reason for no progressing in magical ability was more do to revels and adventuring than other reasons ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Heh, I see. So how close was Fisher to the Gray Mouser in your estimation?

As for the Gray Mouser's ability (or lack thereof) at magic, his disintegration of the mages in "The Lord's of Quarmall" is one of my favorite episodes, especially since they were the wrong mages :lol:

Gray Mouser

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Responding to posts, and some of the email messages I receive, is recreational and social.

Delving into a long project where all must be connected and fit correctly for me means keeping one's mind fixed on that work continuously until the work is completed. In all that means no less than six or more hours a day, seven days per week, until concluded.

Then I pray you continue to improve so that you can tackle said projects. Your activity here and on other boards and emails certainly seem to indicate you're mending well. :) I hope that continues. Thanks for your earnest responses, Gary.

dcas

First Post
Gentlegamer said:
Emergency vehicles, delivery trucks, and the like use the roads . . . all benefitting you . . .

Yes, and that's why they typically charge fees for their services, just like any businessman in Yggsburgh would. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads