TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Patryn of Elvenshae said:

Everything else I've posted is a reaction to others claiming that NPC, Hireling, etc., deaths aren't important.

That you've never heard from me as a player or as a GM. Hired men-at-arms or like follwers can be relatively inconsequential in loss, but never henchmen or associated NPCs. To a PC of strong Good alignment, any such loss should be lamentable.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
That you've never heard from me as a player or as a GM. Hired men-at-arms or like follwers can be relatively inconsequential in loss, but never henchmen or associated NPCs. To a PC of strong Good alignment, any such loss should be lamentable.

Of course! I agree wholeheartedly!

There were some, in this thread and others, however, who were questioning why I cared whether or not those "hordes" of NPCs died, and why it was important. They were, after all, just "Red Shirts," right? In fact, someone told me that I (or, presumably, my character) should "leave my morals at the door."

That sort of opinion strikes me as perfectly fine - and expected! - when coming from an Evil Overlord or Twisted Archmage or Goblinoid Warchief, but a bit incongruous when coming from the guys who are supposed to be the Heroes of the story. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax

That sort of opinion strikes me as perfectly fine - and expected! - when coming from an Evil Overlord or Twisted Archmage or Goblinoid Warchief, but a bit incongruous when coming from the guys who are supposed to be the Heroes of the story. :)
In point of fact, did the "heroic" generals blench when sending troops into battle knowing that losses would be horrendous? Considering recorded history, I think not, and many of those very persons are surely regarded as heroic...

Cheers,
Gary

trollwad

First Post
GG said "Well, the River Nemo could be considered as the Neen, and the Urt river likewise one seen on the World of Greyhawk map. there is also the City of Dunfalcon some miles west to Yggsburgh."

On the map, it is easy to see how the Nemo could fit the Neen. What I dont get is what might you make the Urt (the Ery)? Dont those two rivers meet up in the mistmarsh, not far from greyhawk. I always assumed Yggsburgh should be somewhere in the cairn hills to the west or southwest of the mistmarsh. What do you think is logical?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
trollwad said:
GG said "Well, the River Nemo could be considered as the Neen, and the Urt river likewise one seen on the World of Greyhawk map. there is also the City of Dunfalcon some miles west to Yggsburgh."

On the map, it is easy to see how the Nemo could fit the Neen. What I dont get is what might you make the Urt (the Ery)? Dont those two rivers meet up in the mistmarsh, not far from greyhawk. I always assumed Yggsburgh should be somewhere in the cairn hills to the west or southwest of the mistmarsh. What do you think is logical?
What the devil is the "Mistmarsh"?

Indeed the Urt could be the Ery, but again, Mistmarsh? Never heard of it.

:]
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
S'funny. I was thinking the same thing.
There is the Great Leech Marsh east of Bigfish Lake in the Eastmark, but that's a long way from the confluence of the Nemo and Urt at Yggsburgh :uhoh:

Heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh said:
In point of fact, did the "heroic" generals blench when sending troops into battle knowing that losses would be horrendous? Considering recorded history, I think not, and many of those very persons are surely regarded as heroic...

You think not? From personal experience (and, admittedly, a very small sample size), the admirals and generals I've talked to had quite the opposite opinion. Yes, they were willing - and did - order people to their [probable and / or actual] deaths, but they did not do so callously. Their men and women were not "Red Shirts."

Anyway, this is starting to smell like an alignment discussion, so I'll just thank you for the information and bow out until the next topic that catches my eye. Thanks again! :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
You think not? From personal experience (and, admittedly, a very small sample size), the admirals and generals I've talked to had quite the opposite opinion. Yes, they were willing - and did - order people to their [probable and / or actual] deaths, but they did not do so callously. Their men and women were not "Red Shirts."

Anyway, this is starting to smell like an alignment discussion, so I'll just thank you for the information and bow out until the next topic that catches my eye. Thanks again! :)
Callously or not, the cannon fodder was sent into the battle, eh? The scruples of the commanders made no difference to those who died.

The "Great Conquerors" had few if any qualms of the sort you mention.

As a point of order, who says that PCs need be of heroic stamp? that's a matter for the players to determine, they and none other, most assuredly.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads