TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Zudrak

Explorer
BOZ said:
i'd like to entertain the idea that, perhaps one day, there may exist at WotC the opportunity to have a "classic greyhawk" line. that is, get in the time machine, set the dial back a bit to say right around the time Gary and TSR parted ways, and re-make a classic world into something that hardline old WoG fans would really dig. :) this would be spearheaded by EGG, if he so desires, or by whichever old school luminaries fit the bill best if he declines. he would have carte blanche to do with the world what he likes, though with the possible stipulation that nothing intentional be done to make the "future" events written over the last 20 years impossible (so as to appease those relatively few who like WoG the way it is, and thus not stifle the setting's current timeline). i think that would allow for more possibilities than it sounds like at first.

would, could, should such a thing happen? would gary or anyone agree to work on such a project, or would WotC every consider allowing such a thing?

eh, who knows, it was just a thought. ;)

Like Coke Classic and C2, we'd have Greyhawk Classic and Greyhawk2?

As much as I would like to see Greyhawk reunited with EGG, why would EGG want to pay for an IP that was originally his to begin with? It's awfully close to IP kidnapping. That of course is just my opinion. YMMV. ;)

As soon as CZ: Yggsburgh arrives at my FLGS, I will continue to stick with my 1985 GH material and add in CZ there, per Gary's suggestions on location. I'll continue augmenting the Dungeon magazine GH material as I have since restarting my campaign in 2000. I simply change it to 576 CY and throw away the bits and pieces that don't fit.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
One of the greatest marketing blunders in history made good before it was too late...

The consumer audiences in question are somewhat disproportionate, of course :lol:

As much as I would like to see Greyhawk reunited with EGG, why would EGG want to pay for an IP that was originally his to begin with? It's awfully close to IP kidnapping. That of course is just my opinion. YMMV. ;)

As soon as CZ: Yggsburgh arrives at my FLGS, I will continue to stick with my 1985 GH material and add in CZ there, per Gary's suggestions on location. I'll continue augmenting the Dungeon magazine GH material as I have since restarting my campaign in 2000. I simply change it to 576 CY and throw away the bits and pieces that don't fit.
The outlay and effort for the return are likely the major factors. Of course, I'd also hate to distress a lot of Hawkers too.

Cheers,
Gary

Zudrak

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
The outlay and effort for the return are likely the major factors. Of course, I'd also hate to distress a lot of Hawkers too.

Good to know. :heh:

How's the health? Has the doctor prescribed the "fun" meds yet that play with your tastebuds? :\ I recall you saying something to that extent on an email or post a little while back.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
Good to know. :heh:

How's the health? Has the doctor prescribed the "fun" meds yet that play with your tastebuds? :\ I recall you saying something to that extent on an email or post a little while back.
Bah!

The medication isn't yet available, but all too soon, likely late this month or early next. I have a slow, efficient metabolism, so likely it will reduce my food intake desire to that of a proverbial jaybird, make all food rather tasteless in the process, even as it will remove all pleasure from having a cigar :]

:lol:
Gary

Zudrak

Explorer
I imagine then, Gary, that you will mostly be eating bread and drinking water since there's no sense in eating filets or drinking wine. I hope the side effects are mild while the meds do what they are supposed to do.

Now that summer is giving way to autumn, do you find that there is more or less time to write and create? Or do the Bears and Packers steal a little bit of your time?

I'd like to say I'm an Eagles fan, but I just can't get into football like I do hockey. (Go Flyers!) :D

bloggingonthefl.gif

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Zudrak said:

did i say anything about having to pay for it? they would be paying him to write it. ;)

which, of course, makes the whole deal that much more unlikely. :p

Zudrak

Explorer
BOZ said:
did i say anything about having to pay for it? they would be paying him to write it. ;)

which, of course, makes the whole deal that much more unlikely. :p

No, you didn't say that, but there was no implication either way. :)

If Gary writes material for WotC, he wouldn't really have full artistic license, as his work would be edited, scrutinized, and shaped by WotC before being published. After reading Sean K. Reynolds' articles regarding WotC, I have no faith in them to make the RPG hobby better. If/when Hasbro finally cuts RPG's loose in 5 - 10 years and the RPG audience is further fractured by still more settings and editions, perhaps the hobby can undergo a healing process or renaissance in the hands of the "little guys" once again (Troll Lord, Goodman, Necromancer, Mongoose, etc.). Of course, I think C&C (D&D/AD&D in spirit, if not name) and LA are the games that will lead the renaissance (in which, case it is actually already underway). But that's just me. ;)

*puts $.02 in offering plate*

Does anyone else think conjecture is a waste of time? :uhoh:

BOZ said:
i'd like to entertain the idea that, perhaps one day, there may exist at WotC the opportunity to have a "classic greyhawk" line.

On balance, after due consideration to the pros and cons, I would support such an idea. (Woo-hoo!)

Zudrak said:

Me too, but Erik Mona's Living Greyhawk is a big part of my home game too. I just edit the **** out of it to pare it down to something more like the original version, only more long-winded. So, very limited "From the Ashes" influence, but a little more text on what's going on in Blackmoor is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads