TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh said:
I just winged the next four hours, and only one of the group suspected that I was doing that. When I told them after the session ended what a gaff I had pulled, there was nary a complaint, for the adventure had been a good one...whew!

I'm shocked to here that Gary Gygax can wing a pretty good AD&D adventure.
:p

Col_Pladoh said:
a lot of new material created on the spot comes into play when i am using something written, regardless of the author, me or another ;)

That reminds me, I often "invent" personalities for NPC's who were just stats. As in orc #3, the guy with 7 hp, becomes Mr. Tough Orc when 3 hits can't kill him and he gets away. Or somebody else becomes some other kind of orc, Mr. Sneaky Orc or Mr. Cowardly Orc.

I guess everybody does that . . . you can't DM without giving the monsters a bit of personality, either before or during play. But I try to remember it, if the monster survives the encounter.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
I'm shocked to here that Gary Gygax can wing a pretty good AD&D adventure.
:p

Well, I do get a big "Duh!" for that, don't I? :uhoh:

As I made up all of the stuff I did winging it, it is rather obvious that I should be able to do so or nothing would have been done, eh?

:eek:
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
As a bit of brief commentary, I think the measure of a good RPG system is one that makes it easy for the GM to "wing it" if needed or prefered.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
As a bit of brief commentary, I think the measure of a good RPG system is one that makes it easy for the GM to "wing it" if needed or prefered.
With that statement I have complete agreement. the system should facilitate free innovation and intuitive play seem natural. That's a tall order when dealing with fantasy and magic.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Howdy!

I thought I should mention that I am currently coordinating a group of 18 (we need one more to completely fill the 19 slots) designers that are now at work creating modules detailing the entrie tonw desctibed in Castle Zagyg Yggsburgh Part I.

This is an exciting project, but it is keeping me pretty busy. My reading time has suffered accorfingly, and it took me a full week to finish Churchill's History of the English-Speaking Peoples, Vol. I. I am about to begin a two-volume history of the Old Northwest, even as I maintain my regular study of the Bible, then go back to reading fiction--fantasy, SF, and "Nero Wolfe" mysteries--for a while. I have about 25 books in the stack to be read.

So. now back to email, board posts, and hopefully a bit of history reading :D

Cheers,
Gary

Chaos Sword

First Post
Hi Gary

As I was growing up you were one of my biggest influences. I have played since the late 70's and continue to enjoy this game that you created. Many thanks.

Humbly,
Chaos Sword

Omand

Hero
Gary,

First, a thanks for the creating the genre and the game we all still talk and play (in whatever form).

Now a question. I know that you did not write the module White Plume Mountain, but did you have any input into its design? Did you run your gaming group through it? If so, do you have any tales about White Plume Mountain to share with us?

Thanks,

Cheers :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Chaos Sword said:
Hi Gary

As I was growing up you were one of my biggest influences. I have played since the late 70's and continue to enjoy this game that you created. Many thanks.

Humbly,
Chaos Sword
Heh...

An influence for the positive I do hope :uhoh:

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Omand said:
Gary,

First, a thanks for the creating the genre and the game we all still talk and play (in whatever form).

Now a question. I know that you did not write the module White Plume Mountain, but did you have any input into its design? Did you run your gaming group through it? If so, do you have any tales about White Plume Mountain to share with us?

Thanks,

Cheers :)
when i determined that TSR needed some in-house designers, I put out a call for applicants, and Lawrence Schick was amongst the few I considered, eventually hires. The work he submitted with his resume was White Plume Mountain. On the strength of that I put him on the payroll, and we proceeded to publish the adventure.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads