TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Edena_of_Neith said:
:)

Walks in with his 2nd level spell, Gemidan's Paralytic Missile, from the Waterdeep City of Splendors Boxed Set.
Locks. Loads. FIRES!

A bolt of greenish energy fires from Edena's fingertips, and unerringly (just like Magic Missile) strikes the target.
Only one missile is generated, and it inflicts no damage; instead, it paralyzes the target.
The target is entitled to a saving throw versus spell, for HALF DURATION.

Since Edena is at least 3rd level wizard (or maybe higher!), the paralysis will last for at least 1 round ... 1 minute, in this case, even if the saving throw is successful.
Helpless targets may be slain at the rate of one per slayer per round (quoting from the 1st edition DMG.)

So, Edena now walks up to the target, and ... being a Good character ... merely takes away the opponent's weapons, spell components, and anything else of interest. He then lectures him for the next 5 hours on the beauty, wonder, and joy of being Good aligned (poor fellow ...)

(Yes, Gemidon's Paralytic Missile actually did exactly what I described.)

With the power of Gemidon's Paralytic Missile (better than Power Word Stun, no? :D ) Edena the Wizard Jedi ends this destructive conflict, and brings order to the Galaxy! :)
As I said in my last post...mind altering :lol:

Of course I won't mention the dream I had the other night where I commanded a force of African Elephants and bulls, ran at their head and subjugated an exotic palace and its manifold inhabitants by a mere word.

Oops!

I just mentioned it :confused:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hey!

I just realized that this thread likely has greater readership that the local paper here in Lake Geneva does. Maybe I can sell adveritsements after my sig... :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
When we first attempted the infamous Tomb of Horrors (your creation, Gary :) ) my character was the only survivor of the battle against Acererak.
We all learned the hard way what Acererak could do to you simply by rising up and looking at you (I won't go further, since I would never spoil the surprise for those wishing to attempt the Tomb and the destruction of Acererak! :D )

Ok, this attack of Acererak: if it is a spell, what level would it be? If it's over 9th level - and I'm guessing it is well over 9th level - then does Acererak have access to 10th, 11th, and higher level spells from the Arcane Age that existed in the days of the power of the Suloise Imperium?
If the attack is an innate spell-like power, the same question applies: what level is it equivalent to, and if higher than 9th does it come from the Suloise Arcane Age?

Yours Sincerely
Edena_of_Neith

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Edena_of_Neith said:
When we first attempted the infamous Tomb of Horrors (your creation, Gary :) ) my character was the only survivor of the battle against Acererak.
We all learned the hard way what Acererak could do to you simply by rising up and looking at you (I won't go further, since I would never spoil the surprise for those wishing to attempt the Tomb and the destruction of Acererak! :D )

Ok, this attack of Acererak: if it is a spell, what level would it be? If it's over 9th level - and I'm guessing it is well over 9th level - then does Acererak have access to 10th, 11th, and higher level spells from the Arcane Age that existed in the days of the power of the Suloise Imperium?
If the attack is an innate spell-like power, the same question applies: what level is it equivalent to, and if higher than 9th does it come from the Suloise Arcane Age?

Yours Sincerely
Edena_of_Neith
Indeed!

The demi-lich is a terror. Roblilar assessed that at a glance (a few words of my description), scooped up the treasure, and ran away.

I envisaged the the terrible power Acererak possesses as coming from the nether planes deity he served, not from any human source. It is cleaner assuming such, for then there is no lost lore of super magic to be discovered.

that said, I do believe that 10th level spells, even 11th and 12th, are appropriate in high-level campaigns. such should be available only to mages of 19 or greater Intelligence at 20th, 22nd, and 24th level perhsps.

Cheers,
Gary

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Col_Pladoh said:
Hey!

I just realized that this thread likely has greater readership that the local paper here in Lake Geneva does. Maybe I can sell adveritsements after my sig... :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Sure. Drop a line to Zeitgeist or Goodman Games and see if they have anything new to . . .

;)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
Hey!

I had in mind something larger such as Capital One or the like :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

The idea is a capital one, but the chase of money that ensues leaves you to discover that lucre is not everything, even for a Citi dweller such as yourself. Trust commerce to show you the bankability of that fact. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
The idea is a capital one, but the chase of money that ensues leaves you to discover that lucre is not everything, even for a Citi dweller such as yourself. Trust commerce to show you the bankability of that fact. :)
That just plain excellent Henry :D

If I wasn't working I'd pillage my brain to attempt a comeback, but...

So, what's in your wallet?!

:lol:
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads