TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Anson Caralya

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
As the system isn't mine to alter, I have no plans to undertake the task, or to comment on how I would manage it.

Fair enough!

Col_Pladoh said:
I can say that a wish spell is hardly "all-powerful." Rather it is a likely disaster when employed by an over-weening PC. When I DMed I loved to have a wish used by the PCs,, and any error in its phrasing, including trying two wishes in one, made its intent go awry. All able DMs saw to that. Mordenkainen used wishes only in extremis to bring back associates that had met their end.

Sorry, I didn't mean "all-powerful" in the game-breaking, greedy-player way; more that it's the spell to call on when you have a problem without other solution, which I believe is the same usage you're citing from Mordenkainen's experiences (although I see how my post doesn't spell that out... "spell that out"... ouch). Perhaps "spell of last resort" would have been more accurate.

In my personal OAD&D experience, parties were of low enough level that a wish was extremely rare and never used in such a way as to invite a DM to create his own Arabian Nights tale in the interpretation.

Forgive me if I've missed this somewhere, but I've a question regarding Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh.

I just got the book yesterday, and it looks to be an amazing resource and wonderful written. But one of the things that struck me is that, in addition to the similiarity of name, the map of the city bears a bit of a resemblence to my current residence of Pittsburgh. Three rivers, a point, and bridges.

Now, am I just seeing things, or was that intentional?

ScottyG

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Bah!

The Wand of Force is not all that deadly, and there is no "Holy Vorpal Sword," except in your mind, perhaps :lol:

Cheers,
Gary
Not saying the wand of force was all that deadly, as compared to the other item discussed, just that it fit the description of a D&D light saber, and in OD&D (the Greyhawk Supplement), all vorpal blades, and swords of sharpness too, were listed as holy swords.
Scott

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Anson Caralya said:
Fair enough!

Sorry, I didn't mean "all-powerful" in the game-breaking, greedy-player way; more that it's the spell to call on when you have a problem without other solution, which I believe is the same usage you're citing from Mordenkainen's experiences (although I see how my post doesn't spell that out... "spell that out"... ouch). Perhaps "spell of last resort" would have been more accurate.

In my personal OAD&D experience, parties were of low enough level that a wish was extremely rare and never used in such a way as to invite a DM to create his own Arabian Nights tale in the interpretation.
Hail Anson Caralya!

Thanks for the added insight and the unintended pun :cool: Indeed, your explanation is very much the way I regard the wish spell.

In my campaign magic items granting wishes were quite rare and after a few hilarious times where the incautious PCs misused them, all such were saved for desperate situations. without potions of longevity, Mordenkainen will not use a wish spell, and there are only two item-cointained wish spells in the whole of the Obsidian Citadel's magic repository.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jyrdan Fairblade said:
Forgive me if I've missed this somewhere, but I've a question regarding Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh.

I just got the book yesterday, and it looks to be an amazing resource and wonderful written. But one of the things that struck me is that, in addition to the similiarity of name, the map of the city bears a bit of a resemblence to my current residence of Pittsburgh. Three rivers, a point, and bridges.

Now, am I just seeing things, or was that intentional?
What?

With all the grief I went through in grammar school learning to spell Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and Monongahela I should replicate that place of youthful misery?

While I am serious about the spelling, I jest otherwise :lol:

As a matter of fact, the resemblance is coincidental, as I have been to Pittsburgh only once in my life. Great football town though...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ScottyG said:
Not saying the wand of force was all that deadly, as compared to the other item discussed, just that it fit the description of a D&D light saber, and in OD&D (the Greyhawk Supplement), all vorpal blades, and swords of sharpness too, were listed as holy swords.
Scott
Perhaps the light saber resembles a wand of force, as the former predates the latter, no?

And why do you keep referring to OD&D Greyhawk Supplement when we all know that OAD&D essentially replaced it?

:lol:
Cheers,
Gary

ScottyG

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
What?

With all the grief I went through in grammar school learning to spell Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and Monongahela I should replicate that place of youthful misery?

While I am serious about the spelling, I jest otherwise :lol:

As a matter of fact, the resemblance is coincidental, as I have been to Pittsburgh only once in my life. Great football town though...

Cheers,
Gary
Speaking of football, being a fan of some of the more fabled NFL teams, Steelers/Bears, and Steerlers/Packers are games that don't happen often, but they're some of my favorite match ups, especially if both have good teams. That last victory over the Pack wasn't pretty, but I'll take it. The last time I remember playing the Bears, we were being pummeled. I turned off the game. Several minutes later I had missed the 20+ point comeback victory.
Scott

ScottyG

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Perhaps the light saber resembles a wand of force, as the former predates the latter, no?

And why do you keep referring to OD&D Greyhawk Supplement when we all know that OAD&D essentially replaced it?

:lol:
Cheers,
Gary
I wasn't sure on the dates, but I have wondered on just what came first.
I'm an OAD&D player for sure, but having played a few paladins, the dream of possessing a holy vorpal blade is just not that easy to give up.
Scott

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ScottyG said:
Speaking of football, being a fan of some of the more fabled NFL teams, Steelers/Bears, and Steerlers/Packers are games that don't happen often, but they're some of my favorite match ups, especially if both have good teams. That last victory over the Pack wasn't pretty, but I'll take it. The last time I remember playing the Bears, we were being pummeled. I turned off the game. Several minutes later I had missed the 20+ point comeback victory.
Scott
Heh...

Back in the 1940s my father used to root for the Steelers because they were so bad. It seems them days are gone forever :lol:

I am a Bears fan, although I don't hate the Packers--got to enjoy their fine play when Bart Starr was their QB. This year the Pack is pretty bad, and the mediocre Bears will likely win the division. Ortman is improving, so I believe if they keep him as their starting QB in 2006 the team will be a serious contender.

Watch out for the Colts!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ScottyG said:
I wasn't sure on the dates, but I have wondered on just what came first.
I'm an OAD&D player for sure, but having played a few paladins, the dream of possessing a holy vorpal blade is just not that easy to give up.
Scott
LOL!

When Erac with his two (honestly gained) Vorpal Swords and the Paladin Aylerach with his +5 holy Avenger two-handed sword accidently freed Fraz'urb-lu. he carried them to his Layer of the Abyss, and all three weapons became useless hunks of iron.

I honestly think that som Ernie and Mark Ratner have never forgiven Rob Kuntz and me for that adventure run back in the days of us playing OD&D and the Greyhawk supplement... :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads