TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Orius said:
Some of those really serious roleplayers would be truely offended by that statement, Gary. I salute you. :lol:

Some people really do take the games far too seriously.
:]

Those kind of people need to get a real life... Talk about giving oneself airs! If that offends anyone, then they surely should wear the shoe that fits :mad:

I can understand loving to play games, doing that to excess, but attempting to justify ones over-zealous attention to a hobby by inflating its importance is quite beyond the pale.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Orius said:
*shakes head* Some children have no idea of how much mythology and folklore have influenced the game. Yes, the Tolkien influence is there, but if anything, it seems was other designers in the early 80's that tended to strengthen the Tolkien influence (not that that is a bad thing, given that D&D can encompass a fairly broad take on fantasy).
:D

The broad range of fantasy encompassed by the D&D game was no accident, I assure you. Just consider the names for the class levels...a device to takle arrows from the quivers of would-be competitors :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hi Riprock,

It is good to know your audience and mission for you and the goal to reach in the process of imparting whatever it is that is to be taught to the group. So set forth your mission, the goals, objectives to be attained in the course of attaining the goals, and then you will likely know how best to motivate the audience being instructed. Imparting a desire to excel is surely an objective or a goal.

Anyway, salesmanship is indeed a factor in excellence of GMing.

Yes I do believe I developed my storytelling through listening to stories told by others...and reading a whole lor more of them :D

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Brooklyn Red Leg said:

If you want to read more about the Original Iron Brigade, may I suggest Googling an article by the name of 'Black Hats off to the Original Iron Brigade'.
Whoa, and thanks for the history lesson! I have read a good deal about the ACW, but never came across a single reference to the different entities named the Iron Brigade.

Of course as a "Westerner" who had about a dozen relatives enlisted in various Wisconsin regiments, I am sure the Iron Brigade of the West was the superior outfit... :lol:

I will indeed Google this as you suggest.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Frank Mentzer said:
Above 'twas a mention of Heinlein...

You may not know that Gary and I were going to create the game version of Glory Road. But alas, the dean passed on during the planning, and they put a hold on all current projects... which was never lifted during NIPI's lifetime. :(

Oh, Hi Gar, didn't see you there... Happy Birthday, old chum.

Frnak
Ciao Fronk,

Yes indeed, although I had quite forgotten the New infinities project until your post reminded me of that.

Appreciate your good wishes, and on Thursday I'll sip a tot of Armagnac in your name :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
My sincere thanks to all those wishing me a happy birthday :D

May each of you likewise enjoy a great time on your own natal day anniversary!

Cheers,
Gary

MutieMoe

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:

They aren't really roleplaying...yet...but they are surely entertaining. So much so that I refrain from getting started because I will ignore everything else for days or weeks if I do so. That doesn't keep my sone, particularly the youngest, Alex, from playing online many a night into the wee hours with a buddy, the two teaming up mainly in Warcraft.

Electronic games are a howling success, and I do believe that they will continmue to top the motion picture industry in sales volume. We are doing all we can to get a MMP RPG online ;)

Cheers,
Gary

"We are doing all we can to get a MMP RPG online ;) "

Are you working on developement of Massive MultiPlayer RolePlaying Game? Can you perhaps tell more about it?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax

I intend to enjoy a snifter of the Armagnac I opened to celebrate my 65th. It was at least 75 years old then, and I still have remaining something over half of the liter+ sized bottle!

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads