TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Colonel,

I was recently perusing the description of the Ring of Fire Resistance in the DMG and noticed this sentence:

A check of the MM reveals, however, that Hell Hounds only do 1 hit point of damage per hit die with their breath weapon, i.e., 4-7 hp's of damage per breath attack (1/2 if saved), depending on the hit die of the Hell Hound in question.

My question is: Which text takes precedence? If the MM is correct should Hell Hound breath be treated at red dragon breath, pryohydra breath, fire balls, etc (i.e., +4 to save and all damage done is -2 on each die roll)? This seems logical except that Hell Hound breath damage isn't generated with die rolls. Perhaps simply giving the +4 to save and damage from 2-5 points (depending on hit die)?

Thanks in advance.

Gray Mouser
The breath of one hell hound always inflicts 1 damage on someone with a ring of fire resistance. That breath weapons lasts only 1 segment. The save vs. a hell hound's breath weapon is at +4, but 1 point of damage is always done.

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
The breath of one hell hound always inflicts 1 damage on someone with a ring of fire resistance. That breath weapons lasts only 1 segment. The save vs. a hell hound's breath weapon is at +4, but 1 point of damage is always done.

Cheers,
Gary

Ah, gotcha. Thanks, Colonel!

Gray Mouser

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Col_Pladoh said:
Note that a character with an 18 that receives racial bonuses does not go above the 18. It is easy to be a loser, but most difficult to be so far superior to all other humans in some regard.

All fighters and paladins got the d% bonus for Strength, not just calaviers.

Although Cavaliers (and paladins) also got d% and +2d10(%) per level for improving other stats as well in UA; A 15(99) Con had no game effect over a 15 Con, but with the gain of a level, the Con would increase to 16.

It made Cavaliers (and paladins) quite unusual compared to other classes - their stats could improve when they gained levels.

Cheers!

dorentir

First Post
Violet Fungi

Hello Gary;
Hope you are well. I was reading another message board (dragonsfoot) where someone posted a question about Violet Fungi in the original (and my favorite) monster manual. The description says that the violet fungi rots flesh in one round but no one seems to be in agreement as to what form this "rotting" takes. In my own game I house ruled it so that characters would begin losing constitution (like the mummy's touch makes you lose charisma) but in all my years of play I don't remember anyone actually getting close enough to the fungi to get rotted. Other people seem to interpret it as a sort of poison --- save or recieve the appropriate cure spell in one round or turn into a pile of mulch on the floor.
Can you shed any light?
regards and respect
Stefan

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
Although Cavaliers (and paladins) also got d% and +2d10(%) per level for improving other stats as well in UA; A 15(99) Con had no game effect over a 15 Con, but with the gain of a level, the Con would increase to 16.

It made Cavaliers (and paladins) quite unusual compared to other classes - their stats could improve when they gained levels.

Cheers!
That's so. this did not allow for increase to 19, though.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dorentir said:
Hello Gary;
Hope you are well. I was reading another message board (dragonsfoot) where someone posted a question about Violet Fungi in the original (and my favorite) monster manual. The description says that the violet fungi rots flesh in one round but no one seems to be in agreement as to what form this "rotting" takes. In my own game I house ruled it so that characters would begin losing constitution (like the mummy's touch makes you lose charisma) but in all my years of play I don't remember anyone actually getting close enough to the fungi to get rotted. Other people seem to interpret it as a sort of poison --- save or recieve the appropriate cure spell in one round or turn into a pile of mulch on the floor.
Can you shed any light?
regards and respect
Stefan
Hi Stefan,

:lol:

As a matter of fact, as far as I can recall, no PC ever got zapped by a violet fungi in my campaign either. Anyway, as nearly as I recall the procedure I envisioned in regards its touch:

1. Subject victim makes a roll to save vs. poison:
2. Success means contact avoided and no damage occurs.
3. Failure means contact with the fungi and subject rots away at the end of the round.
4. A cure disease or neutralize poison spell cast immediately--within 6 segemnts of contact, will stop the effect.

Your ruling regarding loss of points of Constitution is an interesting interpretation, but some damage would have to be included with each point of Con loss, or no flesh would be rotting :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

dorentir

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
...but some damage would have to be included with each point of Con loss, or no flesh would be rotting :eek:

Yowsers! So the violet fungi as originally imagined is a lot deadlier than I had thought! Imagining it that way makes me think of a Ray Harryhausen animation, with the hapless adventurer turning to mulch in front of his comrades eyes! If ever I do have an encounter with violet fungi, I'm going to have to rig up some sort of miniature of a pile of mulch with a few bones as well as a bit or armor or weapon sticking out --- and when a player get's zapped, I can replace his mini with the little mulch pile!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
dorentir said:
Yowsers! So the violet fungi as originally imagined is a lot deadlier than I had thought! Imagining it that way makes me think of a Ray Harryhausen animation, with the hapless adventurer turning to mulch in front of his comrades eyes! If ever I do have an encounter with violet fungi, I'm going to have to rig up some sort of miniature of a pile of mulch with a few bones as well as a bit or armor or weapon sticking out --- and when a player get's zapped, I can replace his mini with the little mulch pile!

Thanks for the quick reply.
Good visual.

The positive side of violet fungi is that it eats only flesh--including leather--but leaves vegetable and mineral matter untouched. Of course a small amount of the stuff might remain in the pile of "leftovers"...

:eek:
Gary

Mycanid

First Post
Err ... the positive side? Thieves, wizards, etc. in big trouble....

The only time I ever remember encountering a violet fungi was in A4 ... and everyone was dressed in loin cloths only. Needless to say, we just walked away from the encounter and went elsewhere. ;)

dorentir

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Good visual.

The positive side of violet fungi is that it eats only flesh--including leather--but leaves vegetable and mineral matter untouched. Of course a small amount of the stuff might remain in the pile of "leftovers"...

:eek:
Gary

Yeah, but if I saw the guy next to me turn into a pile of rot right before my eyes, there is NO WAY I would dig through his remains to get his magic ring or dagger... maybe if I had a biohazard suit, a pair of tongs, several pairs of rubber gloves, a sterile shower and a cleric with the appropriate spells prepped standing by as well as about 400 gallons anti-bacterial solution --- maybe then... otherwise --- brrrrrrr! No way!

I'd pay my last respects from a distance -- perhaps using a flask of lamp oil and a torch to send his remains into the afterworld...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads