TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
khyron1144 said:
Hi Gary,
I apologize, if this has been asked before, but were any of the unique monsters in the orginal Monster Manual 2 intended to be lesser deities as the Deities and Demigods cyclopedia says the Archdevils and Demon Princes and Princes of Elemental Evil are?

In my campaign, I've always gone with the assumption that any unique monster from one of the 1e hardbacks that's tagged with the label Archdevil or Demon Prince is a lesser deity, as are the Princes of Elemental Evil, The Cat Lord, Anthraxus, and Primus.

Thanks.
Based on our world's actual mythology, such evil entities can be a lot more than lesser deities. Using the criteria mentioned, some are greater ones on a par with the benign deities.

Cheers,
Gary

RigaMortus2

First Post
Mr Gygax, I had just a couple questions...

Just curious if you have done any interviews recently (mainly TV or Radio interviews)? The reason I ask is, I think it would be great if you were a guest on the Colbert Report (since he is a D&D fan).

Do you watch Prime Time TV? And if so, what TV shows are you a fan of?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rossik said:
hey mr gygax, i quite dont get the "Grade 13 one" part...whats that?

(oh, btw, i just read the 3 first vol. od discworld...but one is enough to love luggage (Bagagem, in portuguese).

do you think is a good idea to make "itens" as npc?

or thats just good for comic storys?
FWIW,

Indeed Luggage is ultra potent, a great bit of interesting magic for a novel, and it is a baga--GEM in my estimation. I would love to have that item for one of my high level PCs :D

In my mind only the more powerful of GM-run NPCs are able to craft magic items. I hate to have to tell PCs that they should be out adventuring to gain magical goodies, not sitting cooped up somewhere trying to create their own.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
Of course there's that sticky problem of the paladin having now chopped down a publicly-declared "good" creature, but I have to admit I can appreciate the finality of the solution. :D
Hi Henry,

That should pose no problem with those folk of the same persuation as the paladin, as they will understand and agree with that most caring dispatch of a reformed miscreant to a better place.

Of course those of the same alignment as the "converted" will absolutely hate the deed and its doer.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
rossik said:
hey mr gygax, i quite dont get the "Grade 13 one" part...whats that?
Heh...

Sorry. Extraordinary Irems (magical objects) are graded in the Lejendary Adventure game. Originally I had 12 such divisions, but when Footlockers were added I made them a 13th category, rather more akin to artifacts in the D&D game/ Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RigaMortus2 said:
Mr Gygax, I had just a couple questions...

Just curious if you have done any interviews recently (mainly TV or Radio interviews)? The reason I ask is, I think it would be great if you were a guest on the Colbert Report (since he is a D&D fan).

Do you watch Prime Time TV? And if so, what TV shows are you a fan of?
Howdy,

I have done only a few local, magazine, and documentary interviews the past year--with another documentary slated for the spring. I am not much interested in traveling to make some studio appearance.

I usually watch little of so-called Prime Time TV. The exception is 24. Otherwise I;ll watch a movie, or someting on the History, Military, Science, several Discovery, or National Geographic Channelsl or football, boxing, of UFC matches...unless my wife is fed up with my selections and demands the Travel or HGTV channel, or some antiques program be switched on :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

RigaMortus2

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I usually watch little of so-called Prime Time TV. The exception is 24. Otherwise I;ll watch a movie, or someting on the History, Military, Science, several Discovery, or National Geographic Channelsl or football, boxing, of UFC matches...unless my wife is fed up with my selections and demands the Travel or HGTV channel, or some antiques program be switched on :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

I figured you for a 24 fan... Although I am not (never got into 24 myself). But I am surprised you didn't mention HEROES...

dcas

First Post
Henry said:
Of course there's that sticky problem of the paladin having now chopped down a publicly-declared "good" creature, but I have to admit I can appreciate the finality of the solution. :D
Same as the Spanish Inquisition executing offenders who confessed. . . . If the orc is unable to stop sinning, then executing him is doing both him and society a favor.

A paladin would not have our modern notions of the death penalty. . . . :uhoh:

gideon_thorne

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
I figured you for a 24 fan... Although I am not (never got into 24 myself). But I am surprised you didn't mention HEROES...

Or even Dresden Files. Now if there is any series that can be related to gaming, that one can. ^_^

rossik

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
FWIW,

... it is a baga--GEM in my estimation.
:D :D :D

Col_Pladoh said:
In my mind only the more powerful of GM-run NPCs are able to craft magic items. I hate to have to tell PCs that they should be out adventuring to gain magical goodies, not sitting cooped up somewhere trying to create their own.

its a good point, very interesting one...im having this problema right now with the 13lvl cleric in my 2e group.

BUT, as i wrote in poor english (sorry, im trying to learn better be reading more), i was asking what do u think of a Object as NPC.

like, a living chest , or a talking harp....do this make good role as npcs, or do you think is a little too weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads