TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
EvilPheemy said:
One of the things I remember about the stories surrounding the Greyhawk ruins was the epic consequences that occurred. The (unintentional?) release of Fraz'Urb'Luu and Graz'zt primarily. Though I've noticed that few of the old stories featured encounters with Dragons. Do you have any fondly-remembered dragon adversaries who matched wits with Bigby, Tenser, and company? I'd love to hear about them.
Actually. very few dragons were encountered by my PC team. I suspect that was to keep them from gaining yet more magical goodies.

Mordenkainen and his henchmen managed to subdue and capture an ancient red dragon (that Rob named Ghorki in spite) and then a second very young one (that Rob named Phorki). Ghorki remained behind to guard the Citadel, but little Phorki often accompanied expeditions into the surrounding terrain to rid the area of undesirable elements...and take their stuff. Uncorking him from a "merchant's wagon" was an effective diversionary attack ;)

The story of the two black dragons in the dungeons is well known. Not so widespread the tale of the young red dragon that had both spider climb and invisibility spells that used to ambush the unwary from the ceiling of his cave.

One day when I was feeling ornery, I had Robilar encounter an NPC that told him of a great red dragon sleeping on its horde of treasure, He volunteered to lead the way there for a slight reward, s apecial necklace he sought. When Robilar suspiciously agreed if the leather-clad fellow would lead the way, agreement was reached. Onve inside the cave, the thief slipped away into the shadows and vpoced a warning shout to awaken the firedrake. It did, and a battle royal ensued. Of course the thief was counting on the survivor being sufficiently weak to enable him to do him in so all the loot would be his. Robilar managed to exit the cave, lay in wait and slay the thief when he fled the place. The dragon remained unmolested thereafter.

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

thedungeondelver

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
It is soooo easy to assume that C&C is AD&D :eek:

It is also very easy for my original material to be expressed in terms of the C&C game system...especially when someone edits the material to make it conform :lol:

Ciao,
Gary

Gary, if you only knew.

:D :p :lol:

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
The story of the two black dragons in the dungeons is well known.

Well, maybe not so well known to some of us, Colonel :) Can you give a few details of this story for those of less in the know, please?

Not so widespread the tale of the young red dragon that had both spider climb and invisibility spells that used to ambush the unwary from the ceiling of his cave.

Yow, that's a lethal combination even for a young dragon. I'm sure my players will find it that way, at any rate :]

Gray Mouser

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey Colonel, there was a conversation about various authors a while back in this thread. Well, recently I came to learn that Lloyd Alexander had recently passed away, which got me to reading a colleciton of short stories he had written set in his land of Prydain (sort of a mythical Wales). They are geared towards kids of elementary school age and, in hind sight, were influential in me becoming interested in D&D. They also had some great stuff that could be adapted for D&D, AD&D, C&C, etc. such as the Cauldron Born. I was wondering if you have ever read any of the Prydain books (The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, etc.)? Like I said, geared towards kids, but can be a fun read if you have the right mind set.

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hi 'Mouser,

Last question first:

Although I do not scorn books written for a younger audience--such as Bellair's Face in the Frost and the "Harry Potter" novels, ir even the non-fantasy boys' adventure book series by Leo Edwards, "Jerry Todd" and "Poppy Ott"--I have never before heard of Lloyd Alexander's stories about the land of Prydain. My loss I guess...

As to the tale of the black dragons in Castle Greyhawk, I do not want to go into great detail now, as something similar will be found in the Castle Zagyg dungeons ro begin publishing late this summer and on into 2008. Here is a precis of the tale.

My excellent veteran players--Ernie, Rob, Terry, and one or two others explored a level of the dungeons and accidentally discovered a series of secret chambers in which were stored treasure and magic items. They looted all of these repositories. Of course being greedy they searched for a new secret room...and found and deleased a dragon instead of wealth.

After failing to subdue it, taking breath damage twice, they ran for their lives. Robilar slung his subdued gargoyle flunkie over his back, and when the dragos spit acid at him, the gargoyle turned to goo, but Robilar took only one-quarter damage. He then have the dragon the slip, used his Boots of Flying to ascend a vertical shaft, but by random chance a purple worm was descendiing ths same route. Roblilar dropped down in a hurry, went for a normal exit passage, and was spotted by the dragon. At that Robilar ran full speed, forgetting there was a black pudding on the floor ahead, and his flying boots were "eaten."

As the rest of the party had escaped without loss, they returned for more loot. Instead they released a second dragon. After that the mated pair of drakes ruled the level and the adventurers shunned it assiduously. That saddened me as the DM, as the lot of them had gained a full level and about half the number of XPs to go on to the next.

What annoyed me most was that all of the different repositories were discovered by luck, the mapper thinkingthat he was leading the party to the original place each tome, but actually being off course. Naturally, luck lead them to the ones with much treasure before their greed brought them to the ones holding a dragon in stasis :]

Cheerio,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Hi 'Mouser,

Last question first:

Although I do not scorn books written for a younger audience--such as Bellair's Face in the Frost and the "Harry Potter" novels, ir even the non-fantasy boys' adventure book series by Leo Edwards, "Jerry Todd" and "Poppy Ott"--I have never before heard of Lloyd Alexander's stories about the land of Prydain. My loss I guess...

I know you're busy and so a reading of the whole five volumes of the Taran Wanderer series is out (and so you'd sadly miss the Cauldron Born :( ) if you ever find a copy of The Foundling and Other Tales I'd strongly suggest giving it a read. It's short, just about 120 pp. and a colleciton of short stories revolving around characters who show up in the series. Kind of a (not really) prequel. A good read if you have time and find a copy.

As to the tale of the black dragons in Castle Greyhawk, I do not want to go into great detail now, as something similar will be found in the Castle Zagyg dungeons ro begin publishing late this summer and on into 2008.

Now this is a piece of good news :)

Here is a precis of the tale.

Ahh, breathe weapons, the acidy death of a gargoyle servant, the loss of magic boots, and the advent of a second dragon brought on by PC greed ... Good times! :)

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
What can I say but:

I'll look into the reading matter if and when I am seeking new books to read.

As for the outcome of the greedy series of dungeon delves, despite losses the group, robilar included, made out like bandits :\

Cheerio,
Gary

tzor

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
One day when I was feeling ornery, I had Robilar encounter an NPC that told him of a great red dragon sleeping on its horde of treasure, He volunteered to lead the way there for a slight reward, s apecial necklace he sought.

That reminds me of something that happened in a campaign I was in. We were supposed to be tracking this young black dragon when our ranger messed up on his checks and found an underwater entrance to another dragon, large green and apparently sleeping. We managed to bid a hasty egress. There afterwards, whenever there was a decision to be made the DM would always joke, "Well you can always kill the green dragon." Many levels later we decided to do just that. We went to the (still or so we thought) sleeping green dragon and attacked with gusto. By the time we started to worry about why the dragon hadn't the decency to attack back the draco liche came over and appeared quite annoyed at us hacking on his former hide.

Oops. Fun times those were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads