TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

ghul

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
:eek:

I believe that such a starship would need to be larger than the vessel that ended up in the Barrier Peaks. I viable breeding population would need at least 500 or so individuals methinks.

Cheerio,
Gary

What if the mind flayer males were as depicted in AD&D, but the females were some huge Cthulhoid eldritch horror capable of laying hundreds of eggs! That would be fun! :)

Regards,
--Jeff T.

Tarek

Explorer
IIRC, the intro to Expedition does say that this is only one module of the spacecraft in question... who knows where others might have landed?

Perhaps one crash landed, with robots and crew more or less intact, in the mysterious realms bordering the Black Ice, and another, larger segment with stasis pods containing "unclassified organisms" disappeared into the dark depths of the Hepmonaland jungle...

tintagel

Explorer
Holy Cow. I've been a long time lurker on EN World, but just found these Gary Gygax Q&A threads (yeah, I know... I know). I'm just giddy that Gary is answering questions!

First, I want you to know that I absolutely love the original T1-4 module, and have run it several times. I saw an old thread where you mentioned hanging out with Frank Mentzer, and if you still see him, please share my compliments with him on a masterpiece module.

Ok Mr. Gygax, this isn't as much of a question as it is a request for you to review my work - work that's a tribute to the Temple of Elemental Evil. Please don't be turned off - this is serious work that I hope you will find interesting - if not a bit nostalgic.

I'm running the Temple now for the 4th time since I purchased it as a kid. For the first time, however, we are converting it to 3.5E and using a virtual tabletop software (www.d20pro.com). This software lets us play directly on the maps, even over internet, and use the software to track initiative, hp, and effects. Well, I started mapping some with Dundjinni, and I got really into the artistic process of creating vivid and highly detailed maps.

I mention this only because it's what prompted me to start my project... To render the entire Temple of Elemental Evil module maps in high resolution (100 pixels / 5 ft), with details matching the Boxed text of the original module. To put things into perspective - the 1st Dungeon Level is 7,000 x 9,000 pixels in size. If printed at miniature scale, it would be 5' 10" by 7' 6" in size. Luckily, we project the image digitally, so we don't have to use that much ink... :p

These maps follow the original boxed text in the module pretty faithfully, even including small details like footprints in the Moathouse courtyard, the hidden broadsword behind a shelf in one room, and even items on tables. If the text has it, I try to include it. Our group has had a great time, and they love the details, but I thought you and Frank might be particularly interested. So far, I've mapped Nulb, the Moathouse, the Inn of the Welcome Wench, the broken tower, and the 1st dungeon level. I have also created a 3D model (& animated flyby) of the temple itself. Oh, and we also have put together a wiki for our campaign (warning: this is NOT canon!!).

Please take a moment to view my work and know that your work inspired a young kid to play this amazing game in the first place. I'm still playing, and revisiting my favorite childhood module in a new light.

My maps: http://www.danielrivera.org/maps.htm

Thanks for your consideration. This has made my day, week, and probably month. :)

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ghul said:
What if the mind flayer males were as depicted in AD&D, but the females were some huge Cthulhoid eldritch horror capable of laying hundreds of eggs! That would be fun! :)

Regards,
--Jeff T.
That idea is Alien to me...

:lol:
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Tarek said:
IIRC, the intro to Expedition does say that this is only one module of the spacecraft in question... who knows where others might have landed?

Perhaps one crash landed, with robots and crew more or less intact, in the mysterious realms bordering the Black Ice, and another, larger segment with stasis pods containing "unclassified organisms" disappeared into the dark depths of the Hepmonaland jungle...
Plausible, assuming that the Illithids were the makers and crew of the starship. Of course they could have been collecting other lofe forms in their voyage through the galaxy...looking for more nutrious brains perhaps... :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
tintagel said:
Holy Cow. I've been a long time lurker on EN World, but just found these Gary Gygax Q&A threads (yeah, I know... I know). I'm just giddy that Gary is answering questions!

First, I want you to know that I absolutely love the original T1-4 module, and have run it several times. I saw an old thread where you mentioned hanging out with Frank Mentzer, and if you still see him, please share my compliments with him on a masterpiece module.
Howdy,

Frank is in Minoqua, WI, about four hours drive north of here (Lake Geneva). He has attended all of the Lake Geneva Gaming Conventions (three so far, all in June), including the porch party here at our house, and I saw him at GenCon XL. I will try to remember to pass along your compliments to him when next I see Frank.

Ok Mr. Gygax, this isn't as much of a question as it is a request for you to review my work - work that's a tribute to the Temple of Elemental Evil. Please don't be turned off - this is serious work that I hope you will find interesting - if not a bit nostalgic.

I'm running the Temple now for the 4th time since I purchased it as a kid. For the first time, however, we are converting it to 3.5E and using a virtual tabletop software (www.d20pro.com). This software lets us play directly on the maps, even over internet, and use the software to track initiative, hp, and effects. Well, I started mapping some with Dundjinni, and I got really into the artistic process of creating vivid and highly detailed maps.

I mention this only because it's what prompted me to start my project... To render the entire Temple of Elemental Evil module maps in high resolution (100 pixels / 5 ft), with details matching the Boxed text of the original module. To put things into perspective - the 1st Dungeon Level is 7,000 x 9,000 pixels in size. If printed at miniature scale, it would be 5' 10" by 7' 6" in size. Luckily, we project the image digitally, so we don't have to use that much ink... :p

These maps follow the original boxed text in the module pretty faithfully, even including small details like footprints in the Moathouse courtyard, the hidden broadsword behind a shelf in one room, and even items on tables. If the text has it, I try to include it. Our group has had a great time, and they love the details, but I thought you and Frank might be particularly interested. So far, I've mapped Nulb, the Moathouse, the Inn of the Welcome Wench, the broken tower, and the 1st dungeon level. I have also created a 3D model (& animated flyby) of the temple itself. Oh, and we also have put together a wiki for our campaign (warning: this is NOT canon!!).

Please take a moment to view my work and know that your work inspired a young kid to play this amazing game in the first place. I'm still playing, and revisiting my favorite childhood module in a new light.

My maps: http://www.danielrivera.org/maps.htm

Thanks for your consideration. This has made my day, week, and probably month. :)
Well...not to disappoint you, but there is no way that I will actually review such a project in depth. I did have a brief look at the maps--very nice indeed! Note that old taverns in Europe did and still do not have seating at the bar. The bar is a plank that keeps the customers away from the liquor supply and provides a place where the barkeep can place drinks ordered. So do get rid of the barstools in the Welcome Wench ;)

I have no idea where that map purporting to be of Nulb came from BTW. It is not one that I did, nor do I believe that Frank did it. He did only the 3rd and 4th levels of the ToEE to the best of my knowledge, stepping in to complete the place when I was too busy to get to the project in a timely manner. Of course after more than two decades I could well be wrong. I'll have to ask Frank about this.

Your project is ambitious and certainly worthwhile. I congratulate you, and it is certain that your players will very much benefit from your considerable efforts.

Cheers,
Gary

Vargo

First Post
Gary,

The weird thing is I remember that map of Nulb - it was in the T1-4 "book" released in 1985. No idea who made it, though.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Vargo said:
Gary,

The weird thing is I remember that map of Nulb - it was in the T1-4 "book" released in 1985. No idea who made it, though.
That was after I was directing such matters at TSR.

Cheers,
Gary

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Hi Mr. Gygax,

In another thread around here some other posters and I are debating about how the D&D game came about. My own preference for running the game is as a modular, sort of "rules behind the screen" game where players learn as they go along. It's like using the core rules plus whatever additions the DM needs or group want to create based on actions taken by the players in the game. My thinking is D&D was created this way, that rules were added as to what was fun for the group and covered things as they became important throughout play. Things like overland travel, wandering encounters, new spells, magic items, and the like. At least this makes sense to me as AD&D grew from D&D and Mythus Prime led to many more rules.

The other side of the argument is better explained by others only that it is more of a rules focused game for the players vs. one based on simulating another reality. One of your famous AD&D DMG quotes was offered in defense of a game or rule oriented playstyle. I'm guessing you know the one, but here it is for your reference:

[sblock=AD&D DMG]A few brief words are necessary to insure that the reader has actually obtained a game form which he or she desires. Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly on adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author’s opinion an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. ADVANCED DUNGEONS 8 DRAGONS is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek to use imagination and creativity. This is not to say that where it does not interfere with the flow of the game that the highest degree of realism hasn‘t been attempted, but neither is a serious approach to play discouraged. In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which can fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be token too seriously. For fun, excitement, and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed. As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe, or even as a reflection of medieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the latter must search elsewhere. Those who desire to create and populate imaginary worlds with larger-than-life heroes and villains, who seek relaxation with a fascinating game, and who generally believe games should be fun, not work, will hopefully find this system to their taste.[/sblock]My thinking is you are referring to the golden age of wargames and the hobby D&D via Chainmail sprouted out of. As posters showed me in the other thread, there were quite a few RPGs out by '79 besides D&D. It's just none of them really strike me as the "realism-simulation" school you mention above. Am I wrong? Wargames seemed to be far more realism than other RPGs at the time. IMO at least. Maybe it's a little of both? Any comments you have will be appreciated.

I hope you're doing well and enjoying life. I know I am one of the many eagerly awaiting the Castle Zagyg books. Take it easy though. I'm just glad to know they are on the way.

-howandwhy99

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary, in your experience do Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World lend themselves to long-term campaign play? Or do they tend to be too deadly for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads