TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Forrester said:
A statement of support would go a long way towards healing the damage your 1st edition Monster Manual caused the Goblin race.

(Also -- what the hell was up with elves having beards in Chainmail?!)

www.goblindefensefund.org
Hmmm...

I do not recall anything about bearded elves in Chainmail. OTOH, we all know that Santa Claus is a "right jolly old elf," and he assuredly has a fine beard, no?

Now as to Goblins, check them out in the Lejendary Adventure game. They are really bad news for the average adventuring Avatar. Here they are from my original ms. dealing with creatures. Note Health (H) for a normal human is in the 20 range, for a player's Avatar 40-60:

Goblin: Alfar Humanoid: 1-6+ (Communities number from 100 to 400 individuals, all of whom will be combatants): The goblin race is the fiercest of the primarily nocturnal and commonly subterranean Malicious Alfar. Goblins look very much like big hobgoblins, with an average height of five and a half feet, a thick and rotund body, thin but muscular arms and legs, and a skin color ranging from dark pink to maroon. The goblin race has a most devilish look with a big head with bony forehead protrusions above the eyes, close-set and slanted pea-green or dull maroon eyes, long and hooked nose, huge and toothy mouth, and large pointed ears. Goblins tend to dress in purples and blacks.

The goblin race possess intelligence equal to human-average, and find their pleasure in raiding, killing, looting, and pillage. Much like their weaker kin, the hobgoblins, goblins are concerned mostly with ease, revelry, and sloth, almost always having slaves do their work, so they too are thus sometimes caught unprepared by wily foes seeking revenge. However, woe to the human intruder who stumbles unknowingly upon a band of goblins, let alone into one of their communities.

Goblin communities are concealed in wilderness places or underground in caves or old mines. The great goblin there will have a hoard of coins and Extraordinary items with a value whose sum is equal to the individual wealth of all his subjects combined, plus an equal value in precious objects ranging from gems to objects d’art.

Goblins have senses superior equal to the human norm, can see very well in pitch darkness, but light conditions are near the reverse of human, so full sunlight is like a dim twilight to their eyes.

Although they can neither transport themselves nor become invisible, goblins are naturally of very strong, can move quietly and likewise conceal themselves in ambush (80% stealth and waylaying Ability), and have a natural resistance to both heat (including fire) and cold such as to serve as a constant 25% (-5) protection against harm from either extreme.

All of this race is much alike and whether male or female are combatants. Immature goblins (called goblin imps) do not fight and will cower or flee if threatened. Individuals of all sorts possess physique Ability in the range of +1 to +8.

The goblin “harasser” is a sort of group leader, and one will always be present in any group of 4 or more common goblins, and in large arrays of them, one in 10 will be of this sort. Each harasser possesses a random Extraordinary enchantment-like Power, not conveying the general enchantment Ability. The Power can be activated usually once per day only, and it does not require either a memory tablet or AEPs, but is innate to the individual brownie. The great goblins also possess the ability to use these Powers, each having two. Typical Powers are:

1) Extinguish a small sort of fire (as large as a normal campfire, for instance) within sight and 80 feet distance in one second of time.
2) Start a small fire in combustible material within sight and 40 feet distance in one second of time.
3) Cause an oncoming individual within 20 feet to stumble and sprawl prone in one second of time.
4) Reverse in one-tenth second of time the flight of one normal missile in sight and within 100 feet distance so as to send it back at its launcher (but with the goblin’s Precision in regards to hitting).
5) Send a wave of nausea in one second of time to one individual within sight and not more than 20 feet distance so as to make any action attempted to be made at half-normal chance for success.
6) Create 2-5 illusory duplicates of itself that are indistinguishable from the actual goblin and which mimic the real one’s every action.
There will be one to three shamans in each community and at least one with any force of 20 or more goblins. A great goblin, one per community or leading a large force of 40 or more goblins, will always have maximum physique of +8.

Common Goblin: H: 41-60. P: 31-50. S: 10-13. A&A: typically any weapon such as a light crossbow with 20 quarrels, club and heavy knife, or short pole-arm and long dagger, spear and curved cutting sword, or cleaver and knife; 40% (-8) armor due to leather garb and a minimal preternatural energy that conveys 20% (-4) protection against even supernatural harm. Also 25% (-5) protection against fire as noted above.

Wealth in contemporary terms is in the range of $500-$5,000 in coins. There is no chance for an Extraordinary object.

Goblin Harasser: H: 56-75. P: 46-65. S: 12-15. A&A: one Power and such weapons as bolos and hatchet or lasso and cleaver all with +5-8 strength Ability bonus; buckler (30%/-6 vs. one opponent) and 60% (-12) armor due to leather garb and preternatural energy that conveys 30% (-6) protection against even supernatural harm. Also 25% (-5) protection against fire as noted above.

Wealth in contemporary terms is in the range of $2,000-$8,000 in coins and a like amount in crystals and gems. There is a 15% chance each for 1 very minimal, 1 minimal, 1 low moderate, and/or 1 moderate Extraordinary object.

Goblin Shaman: H: 41-70. P: 31-60. S: 14-17. A&A: from four to eight Powers of Extraordinary Ability sort of enchantment, geourgy, necrourgy, sorcery, and theurgy in any mix, plus weapon such as flail or thrusting sword with 1-4 strength Ability bonus; 70% armor due to leather garb and a preternatural energy that conveys 40% (-8) protection against even supernatural harm. Also 25% (-5) protection against fire as noted above.

Wealth in contemporary terms is in the range of $5,000-$12,000 in coins and a like amount in crystals and gems. There is a 40% chance each for 1-4 very minimal, 1-3 minimal, and 1-2 low moderate Extraordinary objects, and a 20% chance each for 1 moderate, 1 good, 1 good, 1 very good, 1 strong, 1 very strong, and/or 1 major Extraordinary object.

Great Goblin: H: 76-95. P: 66-85. S: 13-16. A&A: weapons such as a spiked club and great cleaver each attacking in an ABC, with strength Ability bonus of 9-12; 80% (-16) armor due to leather garb reinforced with horn plates and a preternatural energy that conveys 50% (-10) protection against even supernatural harm. Also 25% (-5) protection against fire as noted above.

Wealth in contemporary terms is in the range of $5,000-$30,000 in coin and like amounts in crystals/gems and in jewelry. There is a 60% chance each for 1-4 very minimal, 1-3 minimal, and 1-2 low moderate Extraordinary object; a 40% chance each for 1 moderate, 1 good, and 1 very good Extraordinary object; and a 20% chance each for 1 very good, 1 strong, one very strong, and one major Extraordinary object.

Goblins are not prone to associate with any other sorts of creatures, but they are known to band with trogs, trolls, and orcs when there is need.

There's sme respect methinks!

:lol:
Gary

JamesM

First Post
Mr. Gygax,

You've spoken at length over the years about the literary inspirations for D&D, but I'm not sure I recall your ever having specified a story or two (by an author other than yourself) that you felt really captured the spirit of the game better than any other. What I mean to ask is this: is there, say, a particular tale of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser or a story of Kothar or Kyric that you feel provides a good example of what you wanted to do with D&D?

On an unrelated note, I'd like to thank you for creating this hobby I've enjoyed most of my life. One of my prize possessions remains a copy of the French translation of the Basic set you signed with the phrase "May the Dice be with you!" I was tickled as a child to own something autographed by the Great Man himself -- and still am.

Thanks!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JamesM said:
Mr. Gygax,

You've spoken at length over the years about the literary inspirations for D&D, but I'm not sure I recall your ever having specified a story or two (by an author other than yourself) that you felt really captured the spirit of the game better than any other. What I mean to ask is this: is there, say, a particular tale of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser or a story of Kothar or Kyric that you feel provides a good example of what you wanted to do with D&D?

On an unrelated note, I'd like to thank you for creating this hobby I've enjoyed most of my life. One of my prize possessions remains a copy of the French translation of the Basic set you signed with the phrase "May the Dice be with you!" I was tickled as a child to own something autographed by the Great Man himself -- and still am.

Thanks!
While the adventures in a D&D game are evocative of many a tale or derring do, heroic or base, tragic or comedic, I did not attempt to design a game that would create such stories but rather give the sense of living one. So top the point, I can not point to any particular author or yarn that typifies the spirit of the D&D game. It comes from a mix of fable and fantasy fiction, mythology and mystery, action and adventure of factual and fairy tale admixture that transcends any one work, and any single author, myself included. In truth the D&D game belongs to game master equally with the source of the rules.

Now as to your words of praise, I humbly thank you. It is most encouraging to me as a game designer to be made aware of how much my efforts to share entertainment with others have succeeded.

Cheers,
Gary

Forrester

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Hmmm...

I do not recall anything about bearded elves in Chainmail. OTOH, we all know that Santa Claus is a "right jolly old elf," and he assuredly has a fine beard, no?

Now as to Goblins, check them out in the Lejendary Adventure game. They are really bad news for the average adventuring Avatar. Here they are from my original ms. dealing with creatures. Note Health (H) for a normal human is in the 20 range, for a player's Avatar 40-60:

Goblin: Alfar Humanoid: 1-6+ (Communities number from 100 to 400 individuals, all of whom will be combatants): The goblin race is the fiercest of the primarily nocturnal and commonly subterranean Malicious Alfar. Goblins look very much like big hobgoblins, with an average height of five and a half feet, a thick and rotund body, thin but muscular arms and legs, and a skin color ranging from dark pink to maroon. The goblin race has a most devilish look with a big head with bony forehead protrusions above the eyes, close-set and slanted pea-green or dull maroon eyes, long and hooked nose, huge and toothy mouth, and large pointed ears. Goblins tend to dress in purples and blacks.

The goblin race possess intelligence equal to human-average, and find their pleasure in raiding, killing, looting, and pillage. Much like their weaker kin, the hobgoblins, goblins are concerned mostly with ease, revelry, and sloth, almost always having slaves do their work, so they too are thus sometimes caught unprepared by wily foes seeking revenge. However, woe to the human intruder who stumbles unknowingly upon a band of goblins, let alone into one of their communities.

. . .

There's sme respect methinks!

Gary

Gary, Gary, Gary . . . well, I have to say that at least nobody can accuse these gobbies of being cannon fodder. And it's good to recognize that they are intelligent as humans, and the women fight alongside the men. But "devilish look"? With a "long and hooked nose"? Very offensive . . . was that really necessary? Not to mention that bit about how their young do not fight. It raises the possibility that goblin homes will be invaded by thugs/adventurers, and the innocent babes will be put to the sword.

And which is it - do goblins like raiding and looting, or are they concerned with ease, revelry, and sloth? Raiding and looting is hard work -- sounds to ME like you want to just dig at them as many different ways as possible (they're evil -- AND lazy!)

Tsk tsk, Gary. Tsk . . . tsk. I was hoping you'd see the error of your ways by now.

(By the way -- yep, you had elves with beards, back-in-the-day. http://www.goblindefensefund.org/beards.html)

JamesM

First Post
Another question, if I might, Mr Gygax.

Appendix E of the AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide is the "Alphabetical Recapitulation of Monsters (With Experience Point Values)." It's here that we first see certain names associated with the various types of demons. So, we get "vrock" associated with Type I and "hezrou" associated with Type II, etc. As a younger person, I must confess to being confused by these entries. The first three Types of demon have but a single word in parentheses after them in lower case letters, while the higher types (IV-VI) have several words with capital letters, which I took to be proper names of specific demons of their Type.

(Some of these names also appeared in the AD&D Monster Manual as well, although all the words in parentheses were capitalized, the higher entries also including "etc." The Type VI entry also noted that "Balor is a type VI demon of the largest size.")

Later editions of D&D tried to square the circle, so to speak, by taking the lower case parenthetical names of Types I-III as the proper name of the demonic Type -- its "species," if you will. They did the same for Types IV-VI, taking the one example name from the MM as the species and ignoring the other examples given in the DMG. Nowadays, we no longer have demonic Types at all: a Type I is simply a vrock and a Type V is simply a marilith.

With all that as preamble: What was your original intention here, if you recall? What did those parenthetical names represent? I am assuming the Types IV-VI names are just that -- proper names of individual demons -- but what about the Types I-III demons?

Thanks kindly.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Forrester said:
Gary, Gary, Gary . . . well, I have to say that at least nobody can accuse these gobbies of being cannon fodder. And it's good to recognize that they are intelligent as humans, and the women fight alongside the men. But "devilish look"? With a "long and hooked nose"? Very offensive . . . was that really necessary? Not to mention that bit about how their young do not fight. It raises the possibility that goblin homes will be invaded by thugs/adventurers, and the innocent babes will be put to the sword.
Justice is served to these vile humanoids thus :mad:

And which is it - do goblins like raiding and looting, or are they concerned with ease, revelry, and sloth? Raiding and looting is hard work -- sounds to ME like you want to just dig at them as many different ways as possible (they're evil -- AND lazy!)
Raiding and looting is far easier than earning an honest livelihood, and wretched Goblins, being both malign and bone lazy, indeed make marauding their primary occupation...unless thay are slave masters :]

Tsk tsk, Gary. Tsk . . . tsk. I was hoping you'd see the error of your ways by now.
Do not attempt to shift the blame for the degenerate ways of Goblinkind to my faultless shoulders, sir!

(By the way -- yep, you had elves with beards, back-in-the-day. http://www.goblindefensefund.org/beards.html)
Quote me chapter and verse, do :D

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JamesM said:

With all that as preamble: What was your original intention here, if you recall? What did those parenthetical names represent? I am assuming the Types IV-VI names are just that -- proper names of individual demons -- but what about the Types I-III demons?

Thanks kindly.
Feel free to address me as Gary if you like. We are fellow gamers after all :D

Anyway, the Type I through III demons being both rather stupid and also cannon fodder were not individually named, each sort being one of the vrock, herzou, etc. The higher ranking demons had no species name but rather personal names.

So calling all Type VI demons Balor is not what was meant.

Cheers,
Gary

JamesM

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Feel free to address me as Gary if you like. We are fellow gamers after all :D

You are very kind to place me in the same category as yourself. My younger self would have been ecstatic to have been told by the creator of D&D to call him Gary :)

So long as you don't mind the steady stream of questions, I have another for you.

I still consider the original World of Greyhawk Fantasy World Setting folio to have been one of the most evocative products ever produced for the game. It's a gem of verbal economy: in just 32 pages you laid out an entire continent for adventure, providing just enough detail to take some of the load off the beleaguered DM's shoulders, while still providing plenty of room for individualization and extemporaneous improvisation. It's a brilliant companion piece to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and represents a style of roleplaying game writing -- and publishing -- that has largely vanished from the earth.

My question is this: had you remained at TSR, would you have developed the setting further through gaming products (other than adventure modules, that is) or would it have only received sparse support, such as the larger boxed version of the folio? I ask because I can't help but think that roleplaying games took a wrong turn sometime in the mid-80s, as setting came to dominate the product lines, which is to say setting as a pursuit unto itself rather than as a "prop" for the Dungeon Master. The World of Greyhawk, in hindsight, is a rather empowering product for the DM, which is probably why I always liked it. Using it, I felt free to spin my own yarns with my players and not fret over minutiae not of my creation. Was this your intention?

Thanks again.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JamesM said:
You are very kind to place me in the same category as yourself. My younger self would have been ecstatic to have been told by the creator of D&D to call him Gary :)

So long as you don't mind the steady stream of questions, I have another for you.

I still consider the original World of Greyhawk Fantasy World Setting folio to have been one of the most evocative products ever produced for the game. It's a gem of verbal economy: in just 32 pages you laid out an entire continent for adventure, providing just enough detail to take some of the load off the beleaguered DM's shoulders, while still providing plenty of room for individualization and extemporaneous improvisation. It's a brilliant companion piece to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and represents a style of roleplaying game writing -- and publishing -- that has largely vanished from the earth.

My question is this: had you remained at TSR, would you have developed the setting further through gaming products (other than adventure modules, that is) or would it have only received sparse support, such as the larger boxed version of the folio? I ask because I can't help but think that roleplaying games took a wrong turn sometime in the mid-80s, as setting came to dominate the product lines, which is to say setting as a pursuit unto itself rather than as a "prop" for the Dungeon Master. The World of Greyhawk, in hindsight, is a rather empowering product for the DM, which is probably why I always liked it. Using it, I felt free to spin my own yarns with my players and not fret over minutiae not of my creation. Was this your intention?

Thanks again.
Heh,

You certainly understand my aim when writing the World of Greyhawk :D

To be succinct, I had thought that s series of sourcebooklets that dealt with the most interesting and exciting aspects of each state/area would be desirable to the fans. Eventually the whole os the continent and islands could be covered thus, but gamers would want and need only that booklet or booklets that pertained to their core campaign.

Those I would have begun writing around the time the remainder of Oerth was being mapped and detailed.

Cheerio,
Gary

JamesM

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Those I would have begun writing around the time the remainder of Oerth was being mapped and detailed.
Ah, so there was a plan to map and detail the rest of Oerth as well? That might well explain my dim recollection of hearing of "Oriental" lands for the World of Greyhawk setting around the time that Oriental Adventures was being published. When said book was released, I was surprised that the setting information included within it seemed to be self-contained and without any connection to Oerth or indeed any other fantasy setting.

'Tis a pity you were never afforded the opportunity to produce more material to flesh out Oerth fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads