TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
"Read" =/= "studied" :)

The demiurge is not described in Republic, though. It is found in the dialog, Timaeus.

Gary, you've mentioned some college studies. I recall that you had a description of your overall formal education at your old homepage . . . would you mind recounting it here please?
Nah...

It's too brief to bother with. Only about a year's worth of college credits...and acceptance to the U of Chicago that I turned down in favor of a position as an onsurance underwriter.

:lol:
Gary

Nagora

Explorer
JamesM said:
That's interesting. Would you mind expanding a bit on the level limits issue? I must admit that, while I had no problems with the demihuman level limits in AD&D and indeed would like to see them return to more common use, I'd always assumed you introduced them as a counter to the special abilities demihumans possess compared to humans. Obviously, I was mistaken about this and there's a deeper rationale behind it.

Notice that almost all the demihumans live much longer lives than humans. Imagine the effects of lifting the level limits. What levels would a 1500 year old elf have? How many human armies could withstand the attack of a platoon of 100th level dwarven fighters?

Without something to explain why it is otherwise, the lifespans alone of demihumans would reduce humans to a borderline existance in a world of magic and battle.

That's what I've always assumed was behind the level limits. Personally, I'd also cap the demi-human thief ability too, although it would be a very high cap.

Now to ask my first question!

I've just finished reading through the whole of these threads and I think I can just about remember my own name but at least I know what has been asked before.

Obviously, I want to congratulate Gary on writing such a successful game and creating a whole genre of entertainment; an achievement attained by very few per century. And thank him for years of enjoyment

I also don't want to ask about all the usual AD&D topics so...

Gary: how do you run initiative in shogi? :D

Perhaps not...

Seriously, though, I'd like to know how often do you get to play shogi? I played a human opponent until about 12 years ago and then moved on (due to my opponent moving) to playing the computer. Once I upgraded past 266MHz, though, the computer became too good for me and I've not played for a long time. There is little to be learned from losing EVERY time!

"Normal" Chess players seem very unwilling to try it - much as I find that lawn bowlers fear ten-pin in case it throws their eye out for their competition games - do you find this?

What about other Chess variants? Do you get any play in at all? Have you tried the Discworld's Thud (available in nice sets now)?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nagora said:
Notice that almost all the demihumans live much longer lives than humans. Imagine the effects of lifting the level limits. What levels would a 1500 year old elf have? How many human armies could withstand the attack of a platoon of 100th level dwarven fighters?

Without something to explain why it is otherwise, the lifespans alone of demihumans would reduce humans to a borderline existance in a world of magic and battle.

That's what I've always assumed was behind the level limits. Personally, I'd also cap the demi-human thief ability too, although it would be a very high cap.

Now to ask my first question!

I've just finished reading through the whole of these threads and I think I can just about remember my own name but at least I know what has been asked before.

Obviously, I want to congratulate Gary on writing such a successful game and creating a whole genre of entertainment; an achievement attained by very few per century. And thank him for years of enjoyment

I also don't want to ask about all the usual AD&D topics so...

Gary: how do you run initiative in shogi? :D

Perhaps not...

Seriously, though, I'd like to know how often do you get to play shogi? I played a human opponent until about 12 years ago and then moved on (due to my opponent moving) to playing the computer. Once I upgraded past 266MHz, though, the computer became too good for me and I've not played for a long time. There is little to be learned from losing EVERY time!

"Normal" Chess players seem very unwilling to try it - much as I find that lawn bowlers fear ten-pin in case it throws their eye out for their competition games - do you find this?

What about other Chess variants? Do you get any play in at all? Have you tried the Discworld's Thud (available in nice sets now)?
Sure, and doing what I did was a good deal of fun for me as well!

Initiative in Shogi? Why Rock-Paper-Scissors, of course :lol:

Sadly, I too have few opponents for a game these days, although back around 20 or so years ago there were several persons willing to have it on the Shogi board, I was even contemplating getting a proper board (with the wires underneath it) and men to march it back in those days. I had a couple of books I read to improve my game so I wasn't a total novice.

Last summer I taught a visiting grandson of mine to play, and he kept at if for over two hours...determined to give his grandpater a tough game. He did, for at one point a carelessly lost my rook and had to play most deviosuly to get it back...with interest of a bishop.

My two favorite variant--as opposed to national--chess games are Double Chess and my own version of the Courrier game--where the fool has the power of a king and knight combined, and the bishops (abbots in my game) are "hopping," but can move bit not take one square horizontally or vertically so as to change color. The sage next the queen is a silver general guardian piece. All the remainder of the pieces move as in modern chess. Because of the 12-file width of the board there are definate flanks as well as the critica; center board.

I wish I had some regular opponents around that would play variant and national games, but serious chess players know that doing that makes their regular game suffer. Once when I was seriously playing chess around age 20 I won two and drew one in a 10-game match against a USCF rated Expert, No chance of that now.

Cheers,
Gary

Vargo

First Post
Gygax plays Shogi? :eek: I shouldn't be surprised, but I seriously thought I was the only one who had heard of that game on these shores, and I haven't played for lack of an opponent in something like fifteen years. Ah, that was a fun game...

Nagora

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Because of the 12-file width of the board there are definate flanks as well as the critica; center board.

That reminds me of Dragonchess. I actually programmed my computer to play Dragonchess at the time when the rules were printed in Dragon #100 but the technology of the time meant that even a 3-ply search took something like 45 minutes, and with no openings book, that was for every move right from the start. That was too long to wait for a fairly poor level of challenge so I gave up on it and made a set with the boards layed out on the table in 2D. A bit of practise allowed us to map the boards up and down by eye okay and I had a few games with my friend Paul. I might have another go at writing a program; my computer might actually be up to it now.

Just glancing at Dragon 100 (the only issue I always have to hand) reminds me of the very silly London scenario - how we laughed! Horse-drawn hackney cabs and street urchins on the same encounter table as punk-rockers? It was a nice idea but designers of "real-world" scenarios should avoid cities they've never to, especially if they have a readership there.

But I digress. I do have a question about your players.

Obviously you play with what must be the most experienced role-players in the world at times. What's more, some of them have been playing with you right through from the start.

How do you think their playing styles have changed over the years? I've noticed that there is more roleplaying - speaking in character, separating character and player knowledge etc. - in our groups than when we started out (Judges Guild Thieves of Badabasker was the first commercial scenario/module I ever DMed). In the early days there wasn't a lot one could say really distinguished our Dungeon and Dragons play from our Dungeon! play. What changes have you noticed in your "old timers" play?

On a separate topic: I played the Western US board of Age of Steam at my brother's house last week (my fiancé won so there's a good chance we'll be playing THAT again). I know you have a liking for railroad games and I would say that I enjoyed AoS more than Ticket to Ride Europe. Have you played AoS?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Vargo said:
Gygax plays Shogi? :eek: I shouldn't be surprised, but I seriously thought I was the only one who had heard of that game on these shores, and I haven't played for lack of an opponent in something like fifteen years. Ah, that was a fun game...
I found a reference to it in what was then my grandfather's Eleventh Edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica back when I was about 15. (The entry mentioned "punt-shaped pieces," a piece known as "The shooter with two bows," and another that was the "angle-goer." I was intregued but could learn no more. That interest was spurred on because
i had discvered the rules for Double Chess and Circular Chess in The Boy's Own Book, 1890 Edition, from the same library at home. It mentioned there were many different chess games, and I wanted to learn them all.

Finally when I was around age 21 and back living in Chicago I came across a Japanese gift shop on Broadway, Uhara's. Therein I found a book on Shogi and bought it along with a small wooden board and pieces. It was easy to techh myself how to play then.

Since then I have taught the game to a fair number of persons, but I lack a regular opponent. I even queried the owner of the Japanese restaurant here in Lake Geneva, but he is a Go player. That game is not my cup of tea...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nagora said:
That reminds me of Dragonchess. I actually programmed my computer to play Dragonchess at the time when the rules were printed in Dragon #100 but the technology of the time meant that even a 3-ply search took something like 45 minutes, and with no openings book, that was for every move right from the start. That was too long to wait for a fairly poor level of challenge so I gave up on it and made a set with the boards layed out on the table in 2D. A bit of practise allowed us to map the boards up and down by eye okay and I had a few games with my friend Paul. I might have another go at writing a program; my computer might actually be up to it now.
The Dragonchess game gets a fair but of coverage on the Chess Variants boards.

Just glancing at Dragon 100 (the only issue I always have to hand) reminds me of the very silly London scenario - how we laughed! Horse-drawn hackney cabs and street urchins on the same encounter table as punk-rockers? It was a nice idea but designers of "real-world" scenarios should avoid cities they've never to, especially if they have a readership there.
London is a great and fascinating city. The second time I was there we were wandering around, and I said to Gail, "I've been here before." Sure enough, I spotted Veriswami's Restaurant and there was Bond Street. We picked up a great Camel's sweater and a matching muffler for Gail in one of the shops.

A few years earlier, the first time I visited London I recall being in Trafalgar Square enjoying the sights, wearing my levis, cowboy boots and a wide belt with a buckle that was a smiling full moon. A young Brit came by, eyed me up and down, and nodded his approval of my garb. I was most amused.

The last time we visited I made the error of staying at the Berkley Hotel for the evening rather than getting a room at The Duke's. The place was superb, a five star hotel for certain, but what a cost and cash only. Luckily I was planning on doing some shopping at Herrod's so I had the 650 pounds sterling to cover the one-day stay there :eek:

But I digress. I do have a question about your players.

Obviously you play with what must be the most experienced role-players in the world at times. What's more, some of them have been playing with you right through from the start.

How do you think their playing styles have changed over the years? I've noticed that there is more roleplaying - speaking in character, separating character and player knowledge etc. - in our groups than when we started out (Judges Guild Thieves of Badabasker was the first commercial scenario/module I ever DMed). In the early days there wasn't a lot one could say really distinguished our Dungeon and Dragons play from our Dungeon! play. What changes have you noticed in your "old timers" play?
As a matter of fact the "old-timers" seldom get together to adventure. When we do it is usually a session filled with a lot of nostalgia, and nothing approching serious campaign play.

Of course mature players are not averse to doing some role-playing--something with which younger gamers are often uncomfortable primarily because they are not really sure who they are yet.

All in all, though, because no one has an ongoing campaign hereabouts (the scourage of work and family demands), most of our RPG sessions are aimed at action and do not focus on character development.

On a separate topic: I played the Western US board of Age of Steam at my brother's house last week (my fiancé won so there's a good chance we'll be playing THAT again). I know you have a liking for railroad games and I would say that I enjoyed AoS more than Ticket to Ride Europe. Have you played AoS?
We played Railroad Tycoon last Wednesday at Ernie's place. I thought for sure Tom Wham was going to win, but in the end, three of us were about two to five points behind Ernie.

I won the last two games of TtRE we played, so I do like that game :lol:

Regretably, I have not tried Age of Steam as yet. I must see if Tom Wham has the game, and if not I'll see about getting a copy for Christmas. Thanks for the recommendation.

It seems a shame that the old Rail Baron game is not kept in print, as it is great fun.

Cheerio,
Gary

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Nagora said:

Just an aside, no need to Hijack, but the reason the London was "off" was because the scenario was not based on the "real world", but a children's book--something called "Boggarts", "Buggles", "Boggles", or something that began with a be, where children turned into faerie-like creatures--the street urchins, so it's off and has anachronisms because of that. It wasn't refered to in the adventure itself for copyright reasons, but a few issues later it was confirmed when a letter-writer wrote in with similar complaints.

EDITED: It was a book series called The Borribles: http://www.theborribles.co.uk/borrible.htm

Last edited:

Nagora

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
We played Railroad Tycoon last Wednesday at Ernie's place. I thought for sure Tom Wham was going to win, but in the end, three of us were about two to five points behind Ernie.

I won the last two games of TtRE we played, so I do like that game :lol:

Regretably, I have not tried Age of Steam as yet. I must see if Tom Wham has the game, and if not I'll see about getting a copy for Christmas. Thanks for the recommendation.

It seems a shame that the old Rail Baron game is not kept in print, as it is great fun.

I did like RB; had a nice feel to it. Alas, my copy was destroyed years ago in a house moving accident.

As to Age of Steam, though: if you've bought Railroad Tycoon you might want to try AoS before buying it. RRT is by the same designer and is billed as "Age of Steam lite", so you might not want to invest in both if you already have one or t'other. I've not tried RRT yet myself, but that's what I've been told.

JohnRTroy said:
Just an aside, no need to Hijack, but the reason the London was "off" was because the scenario was not based on the "real world", but a children's book--something called "Boggarts", "Buggles", "Boggles", or something that began with a be, where children turned into faerie-like creatures--the street urchins, so it's off and has anachronisms because of that. It wasn't refered to in the adventure itself for copyright reasons, but a few issues later it was confirmed when a letter-writer wrote in with similar complaints.

EDITED: It was a book series called The Borribles: http://www.theborribles.co.uk/borrible.htm

Huh. I just assumed the author was setting it in the 1930's to early 1950's (when horse drawn beer wagons and milk wagons still existed), possible with some later elements added as an eclectic after thought.

I thought a lot about this scenario of D&D to the real world over the years, not the actual adventure itself. Certain elements for "cross-over" softness between worlds have occured to me:
-- St. Cuthbert himself.
-- The British Museum. Where else should the Mace of St. Cuthbert be stored, along with spellbooks, etc. I mean, the Rosetta Stone, surely that links worlds, not just languages?
-- Tolkien and Oxford. IIRC, he claimed he found "The Red Book of West March" in his garden or on a walk, and "his" work in English is really just a translation from the Elvish. That must be true. :) The fact that certain loonies learned Elvish from his books is definitely to be used too -- I love Elvish as the common language between worlds, not Common = English, and the PC's having to find Tolkien fanatics to translate and help with spells to return, much like the plot of "Galaxy Quest".
-- The Stargate. Weird accidents have been known to happen.
-- Lake Geneva, WI, as a place where there's thin world-barrier cross-over. In my version, it would probably only be in the dead of winter in the worst Wisconsin white out blizzards, when Lake Geneva co-exists in both our world and Greyhawk, where of course it's the City of the Gods in the Land of Black Ice. :) If the players show up though and look for Mr. Gygax, he's off at a convention, because it's just funnier and less weird that way. :heh:

Enough of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads