TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can I get one of these?

jgbrowning said:

now the doorknob idea may be workable....... :)

"Open the door on a new realm of fantasy adventure!"

joe b.

Heh, that reminds me!

Somewhere I have the original painting for the old "Gateway to Adventure" ad that TSR ran back back around 1979 and 1980.
Now that is likely to bring a fair bit if offered for auction ;) Of course I don't care to part with it, I add hastily!

Cheers,
Gary

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can I get one of these?

Col_Pladoh said:

Heh, that reminds me!

Somewhere I have the original painting for the old "Gateway to Adventure" ad that TSR ran back back around 1979 and 1980.
Now that is likely to bring a fair bit if offered for auction ;) Of course I don't care to part with it, I add hastily!

Cheers,
Gary
WOW I am too old I remember that ad campaign :0
ken

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can I get one of these?

Col_Pladoh said:

:( :( :(

Just where i feared this digression would lead...

That'll teach me to expand on things:mad:

Gary

You knew what would happen with all this egoboo.:p

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
diaglo said:
but do you have the sound bite from the Morley the Wizard ads?

No, but I think I have a video tape or two of some early TSR commercials. I'll see if Dave Dimery--who conceived "Morley the Wizard" as TSR's spokesman back then--can locate a copy of that. Dave is an old friend and headed up advertising when TSR did its best stuff IMO.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can I get one of these?

mythusmage said:

You knew what would happen with all this egoboo.:p

Alan Old Top!

If you seriously believe offering paper plates attributed to me is in any way something other than grotesque in my mind, I have a fine bridge for you--cheap ;)

Ciao,
Gary

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can I get one of these?

Col_Pladoh said:

Alan Old Top!

If you seriously believe offering paper plates attributed to me is in any way something other than grotesque in my mind, I have a fine bridge for you--cheap ;)

Ciao,
Gary

This from a man who once said, "As long as they spell my name right.":D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can I get one of these?

mythusmage said:

This from a man who once said, "As long as they spell my name right.":D

Heh,

That's an old show biz quote that I happen to agree with. It has nothing to do with ego, but rather with publicity. "There is no such thing as bad publicity," eh?

Cheers,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Gary, given your apparent interest in Egyptology (based on your epic adventure "Necropolis"), I was wondering if you'd gotten a chance to see the recent "Mummy" movies - "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns"? I love these films, for their breezy nature and old-fashioned derring-do - plus, there is something very reminiscent of a good D&D session about them.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Gary, given your apparent interest in Egyptology (based on your epic adventure "Necropolis"), I was wondering if you'd gotten a chance to see the recent "Mummy" movies - "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns"? I love these films, for their breezy nature and old-fashioned derring-do - plus, there is something very reminiscent of a good D&D session about them.

Howdy Colonel:)

I've loved Egyptology since I was about five years old and my father took me to see the large exhibit in the Field Museum in Chigaco. Next to the Lincoln Park Zoo, that was my favorite Sunday outing. I have not really pursued Egyptology other than as a dilitant, but I have a fairly large collection of reference books on Ancient Egypt.most of Budge's old works amongst them, as well as some issues of KMT magazine...

Indeed, I did see the "Mummy" movies, includng the original Boris Karloff ones;) thus I have both many tanna leaves handy as well as a cat. those flesh-eating (as opposed to dung-eating)scarab beetles in the new flicks are absolutely horrible. A swarm of those could take out most D&D parties in a trice, I fear.

Speaking of films that recall D&D sessions, "The Deep," is in my estimation a great one for a modern equivalent of same.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads