• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Q? about Grim-N-Gritty and Size modifier.

timfire

First Post
For those of you who have tried out the GnG HP system, I was thinking about trying it out, but I have a question about the size modifier.

Small = x1/2 and Large = x2?

That seems a bit extreme. In particular, I would think that the 1/2 HP for small characters would discourage players from playing the smaller races. Did that ever cause issues for those of you who have tried it?

I thought I might soften things up, but thought I should ask around first about other people's experience. An idea for changing the scale might be:

Fine - 1/10 (vs 1/12)
Diminuative - 1/6 (vs 1/8)
Tiny - 1/3 (vs 1/4)
Small - 2/3 (vs 1/2)
Medium - 1
Large - 1.5 (vs 2)
Huge - 3 (vs 4)
Gargantuan - 6 (vs 8)
Colossal - 10 (vs 12)

Thanks in advance!

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
I've used it, but only in a d20 modern game. I'm planning to use it again, but not in a standard d20 world (so no halflings).

You solution seems pretty good. My thought was to keep the size modifiers the same, but seriously buff that stats. If you consider how important Dex is, for example, giving halflings mods of something like -2 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Wis (or something like that) might help make up for the really crappy hitpoints.

But mostly, I just got the feeling that GnG just wasn't meant for the type of fantasy that included hobbits. :p Maybe that's just me.

Kemrain

First Post
Not only would it make small creatures more viable as characters, it would make large creatures more playable as well. If you make an ogre, and end up with 40 HP at roll in, the human fighter who's had to scrape and kill for their 20 points will be quite discouraged.

However, I tend to agree with Thomas Hobbes in that GnG games tend to discourage the type of play that makes Small characters really viable. To me, it's no true loss. Never touched them small lil' buggers anyways. For others, though, it's a big loss. Playing a small character in a GnG game is a great way to force the system to live up to it's name.

- Kemrain the Unofficial Grim and Gritty Spokesbeing.

Remove ads