• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger action question

Rackhir

Explorer
Kemrain said:
I'm afraid to ask, but... Bucket of Puppies? Whisky Tango Foxtrot?!

- Kemrain the Confooooosed.

It's more commonly refered to as a bucket of snails. It's for a combination Imp Cleave and whirlwind attack, so you whirlwind attack hitting the BBEG, which also kills a puppy which lets you cleave, which lets you do another whirlwind attack hitting the BBEG.... rinse wash repeat. I know I've got the exact sequence wrong, but it does get across the idea.

disgruntledarcher - If you are looking for a good move attack combo. Mounted Archery works terrifically. Since your attack is taken at the mid point of your mounts movement and you aren't yourself moving. You can effectively move in, do a full attack and then move out. Works best if you have some sort of exotic mount that can survive in combat.

Thanks Pendragon. I'll have to ask my DM about aquiring a horse somewhere. Hope they don't cost alot. I'll have to replace a feat, which seems difficult. my plan was to use my Close Combat shot feat to be able to adequtely engage combat within a 30 foot range. Our group's a combat group as a whole and i'm the only ranged fighter. I'll try to keep it in mind though. Thanks again.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Rackhir said:
It's more commonly refered to as a bucket of snails. It's for a combination Imp Cleave and whirlwind attack, so you whirlwind attack hitting the BBEG, which also kills a puppy which lets you cleave, which lets you do another whirlwind attack hitting the BBEG.... rinse wash repeat. I know I've got the exact sequence wrong, but it does get across the idea.

We switched to puppies with 3.5, because the bucket o' snails no longer works.

Whirlwind Attack prohibits bonus or extra attacks from feats, y'see.

So we use a bucket of puppies... when you dump them out, they tend to either run back to you (entering your square and provoking an AoO), or run away (leaving a threatened square, and provoking an AoO). Instead of Whirlwind Attack and Great Cleave, it's now Combat Reflexes and Great Cleave.

-Hyp.

sfedi

First Post
Silveras said:
Which one to use will depend on the foes you're fighting, of course. Manyshot looks darn good, though, especially coupled with Shot on the Run.

Remember that Manyshot has a 30 ft range and can only have one target.

disgruntledarcher said:
Thanks Pendragon. I'll have to ask my DM about aquiring a horse somewhere. Hope they don't cost alot. I'll have to replace a feat, which seems difficult. my plan was to use my Close Combat shot feat to be able to adequtely engage combat within a 30 foot range. Our group's a combat group as a whole and i'm the only ranged fighter. I'll try to keep it in mind though. Thanks again.

You'll need to either make your horse your animal companion or take Wild Cohort (from the WotC site), so that's an extra feat on top of what you have to spend.

Rackhir

Explorer
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
You'll need to either make your horse your animal companion or take Wild Cohort (from the WotC site), so that's an extra feat on top of what you have to spend.

You only need to do either of those if you want something better than a normal Warhorse. A regular warhorse doesn't require anything other than ride skill (at least if you wish to be able to use it well) and money to buy it.

niastri

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
We switched to puppies with 3.5, because the bucket o' snails no longer works.

Whirlwind Attack prohibits bonus or extra attacks from feats, y'see.

So we use a bucket of puppies... when you dump them out, they tend to either run back to you (entering your square and provoking an AoO), or run away (leaving a threatened square, and provoking an AoO). Instead of Whirlwind Attack and Great Cleave, it's now Combat Reflexes and Great Cleave.

-Hyp.

Not to mention the puppies that otherwise would have just sat there confused *will* start to run when they see their friends getting whacked.

Somehow snails seems a little less gross, maybe cause you don't usually cuddle a snail.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
niastri said:
Somehow snails seems a little less gross, maybe cause you don't usually cuddle a snail.

That's why it's usually done with Zombie puppies.

Nobody really cares if you Cleave a Zombie puppy.

-Hyp.

Remove ads