Ransom for Retirement (El Jefe Judging)

SlagMortar

First Post
"That is why we must be quick. I think I avoided detection, but I can't be sure. Lily is 12. We are not sure who did it. Probably some thugs looking for money. The meeting place is around 50 miles east of Orussus and 50 miles south towards Lathirn where the road crosses the river. It is a well known campsite."

OOC: Map

Findlefarb

First Post
"My, my..." Fenwick begins. "This is terrible news! The kidnappers would actually expect a man to travel a hundred miles with no one but 2500 crowns for company? That's suicide! Surely, someone would have to be expected to come, as guards for the ransom, if nothing else, like traveling companions."

Fenwick pulls out a pipe and checks the bowl. He tamps down the inside of the bowl with a miniature tool.

"Where was Lily last known to be? And is there an available sketch of her?"

Fenwick's brow furrows as he continues tamping.

SlagMortar

First Post
"Well, the note does not say the entire journey must be made alone, only that Mr. Hessen must arrive at the site alone. Lily is 4' 5" with short brown hair, brown eyes and fair skin. She was in school not far from the Hessen's home. Her nurse went to get her at the end of the day, but neither returned.

"They would often go out after school so it was not unusual for them to arrive home late. It was not until after dark that Mr. Hessen realized something was amiss. The nurse has been in Mr. Hessen's employ since before Lily was born so we think she is a victim, but who can know for sure?

"Since you are not connected to Mr. Hessen, you should be able to ask around and try to figure out what happened. Try to be a little circumspect. If you need to contact me again, Mr. Hessen has a friend named Rilithorne, a wizard with a tower near here. Leave a message with him. Are there any other questions? I must be off soon so any watchers will not suspect."

He reaches into his cloak and pulls out another purse. "Here is an advance in case you need to procure supplies." The purse contains 250 gp.

OOC: Also, could everyone edit their first post to include a link to their character if not already included in a signature? Thanks.

D20Dazza

Explorer
Kyle Widebelly

Kyle almost flops through the door in his haste to get into the room, his stubby, porky legs pumping as furiously as they can, travelling much to fast for his upper body which seems to lag behind, his arms wildly flapping to try and force his top half to catch up with his bottom.

*Puff, Puff*

The dwarf skids to a halt just before banging into the heavily scared wooden table that occupies the centre of the room.

*Puf, Puff*

"Sorry, so sorry" the corpulent dwarf breathes heavy *Puff, Puff* as he speaks "Got caught up in the rush".

Seeing the letter being passed around the dwarf waits patiently for it to make its way around to him.

OOC: Invisible Castle three + 0 =3 ;)

Having been cloistered in his God's temple much of his life Kyle doesn't feel that he can add anything meaningful to the conversation at the moment so he takes a step backwards and nods sagely at the words of the others.

OOC: Sorry missed the link in the original post.

Kyle Widebelly

IcyCool

First Post
"Will Mr. Hessen be leaving for the meeting point? If so, when? We could accompany him as guards at least for a little while, which would make your being here much less suspect, and if he isn't leaving for a few days, we'll have time to ask around."

Deos glances at the pouch of gold that is their advance. "In order to travel that far in two weeks time and still have the opportunity to have a look around, we'll need to travel by horseback, or by river barge."

He hefts the bag and says, "This will not quite cover the purchase of such transportation for the six of us, though we may be able to arrange some sort of rental agreement. Unless, of course, Mr. Hessen will provide us with transportation. We'll also need food." His eyes dart over to the Priest of Geoth, "Lots of food."

Knight Otu

First Post
"If we are going to try for information first, it might do well to know the nurse's name. We, or at least a few of us, could claim to be friends of hers, worried by her absence." Noting Lupic's worry, he adds "We'll tell you who to smash. If we recognize them. And assuming they don't try to smash us first. Though then... well, usually it is a good sign that countersmashing is appropriate. Usually.

Er, what was I talking about?
"

SlagMortar

First Post
"The nurse's name is Melinda Hoewenfeld. The meeting place should be a two day trip by horseback. Mr. Hessen plans to leave in 10 days if you have not found Lily by then. You can accompany Mr. Hessen if you have no luck in the mean time. You can use the advance to help purchase horses if you think that's best and Mr. Hessen will buy them back at full value when this is all said and done."

At a second glance and appraising eye, he guesses you may all be a bit strapped for cash He produces another purse, "On second thought, here's a loan to help purchase horses."

"And now, I think I had best be off."

Findlefarb

First Post
Fenwick bows.

"Thank you for your information. We shall find good Lily."

Fenwick looks around at everyone. "Well, I suppose I should find stabling for my shop while we search and perhaps travel. I'm sure my cart would only slow down the caravan."

He considers the situation a little further. "I can do the shopping for the expedition. I know of a few people in town who might be amenable to a good deal. Now then, what will we need? Horses, to be sure. There are 6 of us, that's five horses and one pony. We'll all need saddles and the like. My mule can serve as a pack animal, but they aren't particularly fast...

What other items would people feel the need for?"

D20Dazza

Explorer
"Ride a horse? the fat dwarf blusters as he hears the suggested plan "But I've never ridden a horse before. Can we not take a cart, I would travel much better in a cart - with pillows, and a couple of kegs, and a brace of rabbits and we'd best get some herbs and spices, we'll also need a" his voice trails to silence as he looks around at the determined faces that stare down at him "Welllll, a cart at the least?" he says meekly.

Remove ads