Request: Move the Optimization Section back into the General 5e Section

thalmin

Retired game store owner
So that's what happened! Is there a way to still view the 5E threads without all the home brews and optimizations?

Fanaelialae

Legend
The D&D 5th Edition Forum appears to be displaying the D&D Houserules Forum. It's not that the Houserules forum is mixed in, I can't see any threads from D&D 5th Edition, even ones that were posted in more recently than ones in the Houserules forum.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I think that may be too..."cluttered", I guess. You will start to see comments being left only to be told "Well this is the Optimization forum, so we don't care about that" type posts. Or, maybe, someone will come to Meta now to ask why all of these "other" threads are in the 5e forum.

But an interesting and creative compromise that should prove enlightening, I'm sure. I feel fairly confident that it will bare out that Agamon and myself are not the "only two" people who share our view here and, in fact, out preference will outnumber the one voice calling for merging by a significant margin. The threads, almost certainly, will see an increase in views. More than one place to click on them is going to effect traffic. But will that, necessarily, translate into longer threads/more comments? I really don't think, necessarily, so. Should be interesting to hear how it goes, if you'd care to share the data after some time to observe, Morrus.

I will grant it is entirely possible that myself and Agamon might be the only two who do a casual pass of the Meta forum from time to time to see if there are any large[r] issues happening we should be aware of. hahaha..and in this case, especially, I'm very glad I did and I'll stand by my preference for "it's better this way."

As you say, Morrus, there are more threads now than there were before the split. That's great! It's doing exactly what it should (and presumably you wanted. Get more folks making posts.). People will learn about/find/look at it as they do and, if they are interested in that element of the game, I am certain given time traffic there will increase.

There are, of course, always other theories for reasons why certain threads might not get a significant number of views or comments. I can think of at least three off the top of my head.

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I can find no 5E threads anymore that are not optimization/house rule types. I just tried starting one, it doesn't show up on the first page at all.
I am posting from my iPad, if that matters.
Seems like you broke something here.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
LOL. Um, Morrus...look like an "Oops" may have occurred in the showing threads in multiple forums thing.

All that's showing up in the 5e forum are threads from the customization and homebrew forums. The original 5e board is...effectively gone and, according to thalmin and my test post I just did from my laptop (so it has nothing to do with your iPad, @thalmin), posting threads to the 5e forum are not showing on the page.

EDIT: THe title shows up in the "forum view", not sure what you actually call it, where you see the subforums listed. But when you click on "5e Discussion" all you get are the optimization/homebrew threads. Clicked pages 1-3, 5 and 10, it's allll optimization or homebrew stuff. [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION] must be thrilled! lol./edit

Sure you are working on it. Good luck. :)

Last edited:

thalmin

Retired game store owner
The regular 5E threads are still out there somewhere. When I check my subscribed threads, those I can still get into. But only through my settings.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Here's an idea - it's actually possible for me to make threads in one forum "appear" also in another forum, while still remaining in their original forum. That might be a way to test it without doing something irreversible. I've flicked that on for the moment to see how it looks. Check out the 5E forum now.

Alternatively, one could just show all 5E-tagged threads across the entire forum, like this.

So that's three possible solutions which don't require actually merging anything.
OK, using the link in the second paragraph, I can at least see the 5E threads. And reply to them.
Also, I see that new threads can be created, but without the above trick, no one can see them.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So that's what happened! Is there a way to still view the 5E threads without all the home brews and optimizations?

The D&D 5th Edition Forum appears to be displaying the D&D Houserules Forum. It's not that the Houserules forum is mixed in, I can't see any threads from D&D 5th Edition, even ones that were posted in more recently than ones in the Houserules forum.

I can find no 5E threads anymore that are not optimization/house rule types. I just tried starting one, it doesn't show up on the first page at all.
I am posting from my iPad, if that matters.
Seems like you broke something here.

LOL. Um, Morrus...look like an "Oops" may have occurred in the showing threads in multiple forums thing.

All that's showing up in the 5e forum are threads from the customization and homebrew forums. The original 5e board is...effectively gone and, according to thalmin and my test post I just did from my laptop (so it has nothing to do with your iPad, @thalmin), posting threads to the 5e forum are not showing on the page.

EDIT: THe title shows up in the "forum view", not sure what you actually call it, where you see the subforums listed. But when you click on "5e Discussion" all you get are the optimization/homebrew threads. Clicked pages 1-3, 5 and 10, it's allll optimization or homebrew stuff. [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION] must be thrilled! lol./edit

Sure you are working on it. Good luck. :)

Yep. Just checked from my laptop. Same results. 5E forum no longer has plain 5E threads.

The regular 5E threads are still out there somewhere. When I check my subscribed threads, those I can still get into. But only through my settings.

Right. Yes. Me too.

OK, using the link in the second paragraph, I can at least see the 5E threads. And reply to them.
Also, I see that new threads can be created, but without the above trick, no one can see them.

Forgot a switch. Oops. Fixed!

Remove ads