Request: Move the Optimization Section back into the General 5e Section

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Then I'm all for the solution proposed by Agamnon.

Remove all inclusions from the current main 5e board, so that only threads from that particular board shows up.

Then create a new "all of 5e" board, which shows not only its own threads, but the 5e tagged threads in home-brewed, charop, and so on too.

I've no way to do that, either. I can 'virtually' include a forum in another, but not filter it by tag; or I can do a virtual search for a tag in a single forum or on the boards overall; but I can't do both.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've no way to do that, either. I can 'virtually' include a forum in another, but not filter it by tag;
To clarify: is this how you've included the 5e char-op and houserules forums into 5e general?

If it is, I can see what Agamon's getting at and it uses the same steps you've already used (assuming what you did can be undone).

It would go:

Step 1: undo the inclusions you've already done (so 5e general, 5e char-op and 5e houserules each become their own separate forums again)
Step 2: create a whole new forum in the D&D section, let's call it 5e master forum
Step 3: reassign the three pre-existing 5e forums as subforums of 5e master
Step 4: create another new forum - 5e Adventurers' League - as a subforum of 5e master
Step 4: virtually include all four 5e subforums into 5e master (like you've already done with char-op and houserules into general)

That way, those of us who only want to read 5e general (without char-ops, houserules and AL) can, by just going to the subforum.

Lanefan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
With all due respect, guys, I'm hella busy right now and can't spend time explaining stuff like this in multiple threads. As I mentioned in Mistwell's new thread on the subject, we are in an atypical period, and I'm not going to consider anything until after the migration of members and content from WotC's forums.

Bad timing! I'll look at the situation again in November or December, but until WotC actually closes, there's little value in my doing so right now.

So, without wanting to be rude or have folks think I'm ignoring them, I'm not going to comment on forum arrangement topics until then. Takes up too much time and mindspace! :)

Thanks for the time and explanations, all. I understand we're in a holding pattern until after October 29, possibly even later. When you are ready to think more about the boards' organization, Morrus, please include me in the column of folks who prefer that the charop and homebrew stuff go in a forum separate from the 5e general discussion. I'm having a hard time finding threads with everything all mixed into one large forum. Thanks!

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
[note: I wrote most of this post and saw that [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] had already said basically the same thing already, but I'm going to post it anyway because maybe it's valuable to explain it in different words or whatever.]

I think the solution we're looking for is to make General 5e into a sub-forum (on the same level as "D&D House Rules, Homebrews, & Conversion Library" for example). Then, the super-forum that shows threads from all the sub-forums (what "D&D 5th Edition" is now) can't have new threads created in it. Therefore, a user can choose to view the General 5e sub-forum, the Homebrews sub-forum, the CharOp sub-forum, the General Older Editions sub-forum....or the super-forum that collects all of them.

Tags will work fine (e.g., if you're looking for 3.5 homebrew, you can go to the Homebrews forum and filter by the 3.5 tag).

SailorNash

Explorer
If the Optimization section isn't under 5e, there should at least be a 5e (and 4e, etc.) section under Optimization. Would help to keep different systems separated, doubly so for D&D where you'd probably not be playing multiple different editions at once, and wouldn't really care about 4th anymore after making the jump to 5th.

Agamon

Adventurer
I've no way to do that, either. I can 'virtually' include a forum in another, but not filter it by tag; or I can do a virtual search for a tag in a single forum or on the boards overall; but I can't do both.

Okay, that's understandable. I was just hoping the old "All D&D" link could have been made into an "All 5e D&D" link. If that's not possible, I understand. Also, speaking for myself, I don't mean to sound impatient. Just throwing out some ideas.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Shut down all the garbage mashers on the detention level!

[video=youtube;RZnQxEFJE_c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZnQxEFJE_c[/video]

OK, I surrender! Displaying all the optimization and house rule threads in the General forum during the WOTC Message Board transition of threads is a bit of a disaster. The General board is becoming unusable as 3e, 4e, and 5e character builds, optimizations, house rules, and other general threads are moved over and then they all get displayed in the general 5e forum (though half are not even 5e threads).

I think maybe turn it off...make it the way it was before, for now, until we can sort out how the forums will be split?

Remove ads