• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Revolution!, Part I

dpdx

Explorer
Padraic has a question, but considers whether it should be asked - it's the same question he always has - do we get to kill the Ashkians? What the others hear is:

"Are we authorized to use lethal force on the guards, or shall we just subdue them to free our brothers and sisters?"

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
"I'm afraid I'm not able to answer that question," The elf says. "Riltyn will give you the specifics on what you will be authorized to do."

Jemal

Adventurer
"Then we should speak to Riltyn with all haste" April says, her voice taking on a calmness like that before the storm.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Meeting with Riltyn

A few more moments pass in silence, and you approach a small stone building. The elf opens a rough wooden door for you, but does not enter.

Inside, you find a few chairs and stools. A table is set in the center of a large square room, which has maps and mapping tools sprawled upon it. A small halfling woman - Instructor Riltyn - stands upon a wide stool near the table.

"Dralin 18." She says as you begin filing into the room. "Sit down." She indicates the chairs and stools.

Once you are seated, she picks up a long stick that was leaning against her stool. "You will be journeying quite a long way." She says. "It is estimated that it will take you five days to get to the Ashkian compound. In six, Dralin 16 will be interrogated, and our whole operation will be revealed and destroyed by the end of that day."

"You will be riding roughly north-west. Along the way, you will find scouts who have been sent ahead to hold fresh horses for you. You must ride as hard and as fast as you can. You will rest only as long as you need to. Anything more, and all of our efforts will be lost."

"You must break into the compound by cover of night. You will break Dralin 16 out of their cells, and you will escape the compound. A contingent of archers, which will be sent after you, will cover your escape - but they will not be there until dawn. If you must leave earlier, or enter the compound too early, you will not have support. The archers will be there for one hour - after that time, they will assume that all is lost, and will scatter."

"Make as little disturbance as is possible. We don't want to give the Ashkians any hint that we are as organized as we are. If you do use force, you must kill all who see you, so as to prevent any information leaks. The Ashkians are suspicious enough as it is - anything that could hint at our existence would be a very bad idea."

"Use common sense while you are there. Don't do anything stupid. Don't show off. Go in, free Dralin 16, and get out. There is nothing complex about this exercise. So far as we know, no magic-users are at the compound - they are primarily incompetent guards who are useless for anything but guard duty."

"When you get your final set of horses, you will be given exact directions to reach the compound. All of the other scouts will give you simple directions and rough distance to the next set of horses. Should you fail to follow these directions, you will become lost, your horses will be fatigued, and you will lose time... and you cannot lose time in this venture."

"Do you understand? Do you have any questions?"

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Storm Arrow looked to the others of Dralin 18, having no questions of her own. She face did not betray that she considered there were a lot of 'ifs' in this plan.

She then thought of a question, "When do we leave?"

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Riltyn nods. "Yes, it would be best if you left right now... which is why you are going to. You have five minutes to gather your things. Show up outside this building when you are ready. I will greet you and take you to your horses, then you will leave."

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Storm Arrow looks herself over, realizing that she currently has everything on her at the moment. Anything that she didn't have, wasn't worth the time to get. She walks out of the building, turns, and leans up against it, chewing on a piece of straw.

When the horses arrive, Storm Arrow will look for a gentler horse, one not too spirited. Hopefully, it will give provide a better ride and will be less likely to burn itself out early on.

dpdx

Explorer
Padraic, also fully equipped, follows Storm Arrow out. Looking over the horses when they come, he will select whichever one isn't unnerved by his manner.

Urthadar makes a quiet curse and says. "I'll be right back." Then he starts trotting, cursing all the way back to the barracks to gather up his things as fast as possible. Dammit. I should have backed after all in the morning.

Remove ads