Rhun's Greyhawk ALPHA Campaign (ToEE) - Part II - CLOSED!

Legildur

First Post
Kurt scowls as their quarry escapes. Looking around at their situation, Kurt realises that they were not in the best position to pursue in any case. "Make sure the rest are dead," he suggests. "And then carefully make your way over here," he adds, gesturing towards the doors at the back of the temple."

Once he satisfied that the guards and acolytes are truly dead, Kurt will activate the power of Heironeous' Sacred Purification to help heal the party without resorting further to the wands.

ooc: Kurts uses Sacred Purification three times (each use heals 1d8+2 hit points to all living creatures within 60ft).

"And we'll talk later," Kurt says sternly to Trevor. "In the meantime, we have some doors to deal with."

Kurt will watch the rear while the others see to the doors.

Leif

Adventurer
Trevor Champlaign

"Yes, of course you're right, as usual. Please forgive my hastiness. We have much work ahead of us yet."

OOC: I hope that by the time Kurt finishes with his healing and everything, the Spike Stones have returned to normal (?) and that we can proceed with our exploration without worrying about such (at least until we find our quarry again).

OOC: And thanks for the healing!

Rhun

First Post
"We showed them cultist what for, eh?" says Ragnok, carefully following after Kurt to reach the southern portion of the Temple of Earth, the portion NOT filled with magically sharp, spiked stones. The doughty dwarf slaps Trevor on the shoulder as he passes, smiling at the soldier. "Ye remind me o' a dwarf. Impulsive. I likes that."

Coraine looks about at the corpses, considering. "We have done a great deed today. Depsite the escape of the high priest, it appears that we have broken the power of the Earth Temple."

Looking about the area, the only thing that Trevor sees that qualifies as loot is the sacrificial dagger, apparently dropped, lying upon the stone pyramid near the victim it was so recently used to slay. The sharp, blood-covered blade is made of bronze, but the handle is crafted of ivory and chased in gold.

Those that are magically inclined among your group realize that the area covered by the spiked stones is likely to last for hours, depending on the power fo the high priest.

To the south are three sets of doors. The two lesser doors are crafted of thick bronzewood, and banded in dark iron. The massive double doors set in the center of the south wall are quite different, though, appearing exactly as the main doors that seal the entrance to the Temple proper above: Massive portals of beaten bronze (Twenty feet wide, and at least that high), held fast by huge iron chains. All of the cracks and seams in the doors have been filled with what appears to be soft iron, and strange runes are engraved on their bronze surface. You note that the writing glows and seems to burn with a silvery radiance, making your eyes water as you look on.

All are fully healed, except Dara who is down 3 points.

PC Status
Dara 26/29
Verdis 22/22
Trevor 30/30
Kurt 31/31
Coraine 36/36
Ragnok 41/41

Experience Points Earned: 1300 each

- MAP -

Last edited:

Legildur

First Post
Kurt strokes his goattee with his right hand as he ponders the doors. Reading more carefully of the runes, he tries to make sense of it all.
ooc: Knowledge (religion) check +7.

"Any magical auras?" he asks of Verdis.

Rhun

First Post
Kurt moves to approach the great doors closer, looking upon the strange, burning runes. As he moves within ten feet of them, he suddenly finds himself unable to approach closer. The overwhelming urge to retreat away from the doors strikes the cleric like a sack full of bricks, and Kurt stumbles away from the great portal, back toward his friends.

[sblock=For Kurt]
Will save vrs DC?? 18 (failure)
Spellcraft Check 13 (failure)
Religion Check 27 (success)

Although Kurt does not recognize the nature of the magical force keeping him away from the door, he can certainly tell that it is a spell of some type. Many of the symbols and such appear to be arcane, but Kurt knows that several of them are also representative of good faiths of Oerik: Pelor, St. Cuthbert, Heironeous, Kord, and others. Perhaps, during the original seige of the Temple over a decade ago, these faiths worked in conjunction with wizards and sorcerers serving the Light, and put these wards into place to keep anyone from passing beyond the doors?
[/sblock]

- PIC OF DOORS _

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Trevor Champlaign

Trevor, stunned at Kurt's inability to reach the great portals, says, "I don't know that it's such a good idea for us to meddle with those big ol' doors right now. Maybe we should go a different way?"

Legildur

First Post
"Aye," agrees Kurt, as he maintains a respectful distance from the double doors. "I'd be reluctant to allow you to open these doors until I sought guidance from The Invincible One. Alas, I cannot do that until tomorrow."
ooc: i.e. he doesn't have Augury prepared.
ooc2: bit what's worse is that he did have it prepared, but dumped it for a CLW.

The cleric then moves to examine the lesser doors either side.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Trevor Champlaign

Trevor approaches the westernmost door leading out of the room to the south, and listens. If he hears nothing, then he will go to the single door on the eastern side of the same wall and also listen. On the other hand, if he hears something, well, we'll just see.

Rhun

First Post
Trevor takes a few minutes to listen at each of the lesser doors to the right and left of the great sealed portals, but he hears nothing beyond. The only noise in the area is that of himself and his companions...

Remove ads