RIP: Good Music Albums

Vigilance

Explorer
bento said:
Questions for you:
What albums do you consider great from start to finish? (not a "greatest hits")
Do you know any artists or groups recording today that have albums that are "great" all the way through - each song is memorable and catchy, with no filler?

Thanks!

Albums I consider great: 2112, Moving Pictures (Rush), Little Earthquakes (Tori Amos), Jagged Little Pill (Alanis Morissette), Girlfriend (Matthew Sweet), I've got that old feeling (Alison Krauss)

New albums I consider great all the way through (in answer to the second part of your question):

Straight outta Lynwood (Weird Al) maybe his best album ever, certainly in years

Why should the fire die (Nickle Creek) Maybe the best album I've bought in 10 years. An amazing group that defies being pigeon holed into those AOR boxes radio stations love so much (I would probably say Bluegrass if pressed)

Lonely Runs Both Ways (Alison Krauss)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
bento said:
But at the same time, if everyone only purchased the "hot hit single" they would never really find some real gems that an AR person didn't feel had enough hooks.
The music industry's gotten decentralized. An A/R guy has no say as to whether or not a band puts a song on their MySpace page or in their podcast for fans or whatever. Yes, they can decide to not push it as a freebie iTunes single of the week, but that's only one of a host of options available nowadays.

The album concept opens you up to deeper music that while it may be more challenging, can be infinitely more rewarding that sampling the one or two songs that were hits.
There's certainly good albums out there, and I've continued to buy good albums in the iPod era. But it's nice that I no longer feel compelled to not buy an album when I know I'll only like a single song: I just buy the single instead. The artist wins, the recording industry wins and I win.

bento

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
There's certainly good albums out there, and I've continued to buy good albums in the iPod era. But it's nice that I no longer feel compelled to not buy an album when I know I'll only like a single song: I just buy the single instead. The artist wins, the recording industry wins and I win.

Peter Gabriel's "So" album convinced me of that - I bought the album and never listened to it because the songs I liked on it were driven into the ground by local radio, and the remaining were meh. Dire Straits' "Brother in Arms" runs a close second in that department.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Whizbang Dustyboots said:

The trouble with this is, you don't know you'll only like the singles or that the other songs won't grow on your. Where would a song like "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" be without "Have a Cigar" or "Wish You Were Here" driving album sales? Or for that matter "Great Gig in the Sky"? All excellent stuff, but not the singles driving their respective albums.

I like the other stuff on albums, sometimes even more than the singles. Sinead O'Connor's "Jump in the River" is, I think, a far superior song to "Nothing Compares to U", which is dead boring.
I would argue that if people are just buying the singles, since they aren't exposing you to the rest of their musical ideas, the artist isn't really benefiting. Not if they have more complex musical ideas that aren't easily fitting into the single format. "Thick as a Brick" and "Passion Play" by Jethro Tull fail under that model, as do songs like "Echoes" by Pink Floyd.

Pants

First Post
bento said:
Questions for you:
What albums do you consider great from start to finish? (not a "greatest hits")
Led Zeppelin - IV (ditto on the cliched part, but hey this album rawks)
Iron Maiden - Number of the Best and/or Powerslave
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Pink Floyd - Dark Side...
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet

Do you know any artists or groups recording today that have albums that are "great" all the way through - each song is memorable and catchy, with no filler?

Thanks!
I really dig 'Wolfmother,' but their CD has maybe one or two tracks that I kinda half-listen to. Still good listenin.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Pants,

They do have a mandatory Metallica here in Morgantown. They manage to play some songs from Master of Puppets.

Darth Shoju

First Post
ShadowX said:
Then again, part of this is the music audience's fault. Take a look at Darth Shoju's list. Not to offend Darth, but his list enunciates the lassitude of most people towards music. The band's album with the most popular singles translates into their best with no effort to discover the rest of the catalogue. I know for most people Rush begins and ends with Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves, this even goes for self-proclaimed Rush fans. God forbid the band's singles stop receiving airplay; then they drop right off the face of the Earth.

Did I somehow give the impression that I limit myself to a band's most popular album? The question was what do you consider a strong album with little filler. I listed albums from my personal experience that I felt answered the question and were recognizable. I could have listed others that few people have heard of outside my neck of the woods (Our Lady Peace's Naveed, Men In Kilts' Commando to name a couple) but where would the point be in that for such an exercise? I suppose a few people could end up looking into some of these bands, thereby giving them more exposure, but without details on what kind of music they represent I don't see that as being terribly likely.

I agree that mainstream music is often "safe" or "processed", but it is also often very good. I find it fairly irritating when people jump into discussions like these and decry mainstream music and rattle off some obscure performers in an effort to look knowledgeable and discriminating (not that I am accusing *you* of this...someone out there must know what they are talking about and you could very well be one of those people...I'm certainly not going to pretend to be). I had a friend in highschool who loved to find undiscovered bands and tell people about them until they became popular, then abandon them and mock them as "mainstream". Its in the same vein as people who slam Hendrix or Clapton as hacks and then tout some unknown studio/session musician as an under-appreciated genius (not that there aren't talented session musicians out there I imagine). I guess I can appreciate recognizing the talented performers who don't get the exposure they deserve, but deriding music just because it is popular makes little sense to me (again, not that I am claiming that is what you are doing, I guess your post just struck a chord with me).

And up here, Rush songs always get airplay.

;)

Steel_Wind

Legend
An interesting thread. Here's my take:

In the 50s and through to the mid 60s, the emphasis was on singles - not LPs. Albums were quite incoherent until the LP became the favored media.

Mid 60s though the 70's to about 1985 or so was of course very much an Album Rock period, where there seemed to be an emphasis on the overall product at 22 mins a side or so.

If you think about it though, technology had its hand in this. You put on an album on the turntable in those days - and you let it play.

It was a pain in the ass to change it. Up needle -over arm - new album - over arm - down needle. And that's never minding a swipe with a brush on the vinyl or degauss the needle or whatever.

The concept still played out a bit from the established artists and producers who were used to the older traditions - so that as vinyl died, vinyl styles persisted. Tapes were a pain in the ass to forward through too - until the tech came out for fast forward cueing to compete with the news CDs. For a time in the mid to late 80s, we were in a transition between styles as vinyl, tape and CDs were all on store shelves.

Soon enough, vinyl was dead, the CD ascendancy over tape was complete by the end of the 80s and it was over. We were in a song centred approach to music, away from the album rock of the 1965-85 period. CD "albums" became more of a collection of singles than a coherent whole because the technology facilitated that approach.

And because hit singles are damned hard to write, its pretty rare that you get a disc with a lot of em on there in a row - let alone all of em.

So by 1990, we had come full circle. We were back to the 50s, essentially.

With the Mp3, it's even worse. It's Sesame Street on bennies. ADD reigns supreme. We're lucky to make it through listening to the whole song, let alone the CD.

So - for those listing "albums" from the 90s and onwards: nope. Sorry. I know you may love your particular CD or band - but it doesn't count. It just doesn't. By then a complete CD was an accident of production - not the result of focused intention. Not only were you born too late and missed the boat - but you have missed the point, too.

To add to the list:

AC-DC: Back in Black. There is no need - and generally no desire - to skip songs on this album.

Kansas: Leftoverture: Art rock meets album rock. Like Dark Side of the Moon - meant to be played at the beginning and left to the end.

Kiss: Music from the Elder: Now - this is neither a great album nor a very good example of Kiss. It's pretty iffy stuff. But it is an excellent example of making an album to be an album - and not a collection of songs.

Pink Floyd: Add in everything after Dark Side of the Moon up until The Final Cut and the departure of Roger Waters. It all counts as the essence of album rock.

Boston: Boston: Do you really need to skip songs on this album? Nope. You don't.

Sting: Nothing Like the Sun (better than Ten Summoners Tales because a) it is; and, b) it's coherent. Ten Summoners Tales was CD era and Sting getting lucky after swinging for the fences.)

Rush: Hemispheres to Hold Your Fire and all else in between: as examples of album rock - with Moving Pictures being the most popular and Grace Under Pressure as the most coherent.

U2: Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire.: These were released at a time when you could still get em on vinyl. The end of an era, indeed.

Last edited:

bento

Explorer
Steelwind,

I think you're right about history and ideas behind the movement.

Do you think if artists today continued to follow the practice held 20 years ago (trying to make a full album with all the tracks rating a point or two around 7 rather than one that has two songs at 9 and the rest around 3) that the music industry might improve? It seems like the music industry has little to lose by pushing both approaches.

I guess I wanted to hear from folks like Darth Shoju as well as us old foggies if they still bougth albums from newer artists that they thought still held this practice. I had heard that bands like Rage against the Machine and Tool still put out consistenly good LPs in the past 10 years or so.

Most of my purchasing today, the little I do, is either soundtracks, greatest hits or esoteric stuff from the 1950s (jazz & lounge). The last full "rock" album I bought was Tom Petty's "Damn the Torpedoes" and it left me feeling like I should have bought the GH instead. :\

Darth Shoju

First Post
bento said:
Steelwind,

I think you're right about history and ideas behind the movement.

Do you think if artists today continued to follow the practice held 20 years ago (trying to make a full album with all the tracks rating a point or two around 7 rather than one that has two songs at 9 and the rest around 3) that the music industry might improve? It seems like the music industry has little to lose by pushing both approaches.

I guess I wanted to hear from folks like Darth Shoju as well as us old foggies if they still bougth albums from newer artists that they thought still held this practice. I had heard that bands like Rage against the Machine and Tool still put out consistenly good LPs in the past 10 years or so.

Most of my purchasing today, the little I do, is either soundtracks, greatest hits or esoteric stuff from the 1950s (jazz & lounge). The last full "rock" album I bought was Tom Petty's "Damn the Torpedoes" and it left me feeling like I should have bought the GH instead. :\

It's been a while since I've bought an album that I thought was more killer than filler. Since you mentioned Rage Against the Machine...I bought their Battle of Los Angeles album and thought it was pretty decent alltogether. It didn't jump out at me to list but it had a pretty good ratio overall. Makes me hope that they stick together after this summer's reunification gigs. Other than that, the last full albums that I bought were The Beatles and older Metallica, so I don't think that really helps to judge the modern album.

Remove ads