RIP: Good Music Albums

death tribble

First Post
To my surprise and joy someone else reckons that Siouxsie and the Banshees Tinderbox has no duff tracks.

I also back Nirvana's Nevermind, Soundgarden's SuperUnknown, Alannis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill, Radiohead's OK Computer and Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.
Others I would pick are Enema of the State by Blink 182, Parklife by Blur, Out of the Blue by the Electric Light Orchestra, Garbage by Garbage, Employment by the Kaiser Chiefs, Hopes and Fears by Keane, What's the Story Morning Glory by Oasis, Americana by Offspring, J Ju by Siouxsie and the Banshees, Soul Mining by The The (Tape version), Eye to the Telescope by K T Tunstall, Get Behind Me Satan by the White Stripes and Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails

BadMojo

First Post
Some of my favorite best albums:

"OK Computer" - Radiohead
"Raindogs" - Tom Waits
"Aenima" - Tool
"Robot Hive/Exodus" - Clutch

Each one, IMO, perfect from start to finish.

ghettognome

First Post
There was a favorite music thread in the off topic forum, here seems to be posting more just good cd's.

Gogol Bordello - any of it is good, but the Underdog World Strike is a great one to start with.
The Exies - Head for the Door
The Union Underground - An Education in Rebellion
The Knife - Silent Shout
Juno Reactor - Bible of Dreams (though pretty much all of it is awesome)
Metallica - Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets
Primus - Frizzle Fry
Lorenna McKennit - The Visit
Chicago - sndrk from movie
Bloodhound Gang - One Fierce Beer Coaster
Bouncing Souls - (the recent one, can't think of name)

there are more, just can't think of them right now.. will add later.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
billd91 said:
The trouble with this is, you don't know you'll only like the singles or that the other songs won't grow on your.
I listen to 30 second clips of all the songs on iTunes. Amazon typically has a different set of 30 second clips from each song. From there, I usually have a pretty good idea.

I don't buy the singles that the record company thinks are singles. Ugh, that would be nuts! I pick the songs I like from having heard them in podcasts or from my own previews of the album online.

I would argue that if people are just buying the singles, since they aren't exposing you to the rest of their musical ideas, the artist isn't really benefiting.
Making some money instead of no money is a benefit in my book.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
bento said:
Do you think if artists today continued to follow the practice held 20 years ago (trying to make a full album with all the tracks rating a point or two around 7 rather than one that has two songs at 9 and the rest around 3) that the music industry might improve?
You need to define improvement. The singles-driven sales are shooting up -- iTunes is now one of the largest retailers of music in the world. If you want CD sales to return, making better albums might help, but I think there's many more reasons that CD sales are in the toilet, among them high prices, narrow genres that aren't marketed to all the people who might like a group if they were exposed to them (once upon a time, people bought botht he Rolling Stones and the Temptations, and today, they'd never be on the same station) and many more issues.

It seems like the music industry has little to lose by pushing both approaches.
More studio time costs more money. At least a segment of the music industry would fight that tooth and claw, even if everyone else thinks the end result would be better (and more salable) music.

And folks not finding good new artists out there need to change their approach. Even if you only listen to it on your computer, start downloading music podcasts. They tend to focus on lower profile acts and you will be exposed to a lot of variety very quickly, much of it extremely good.

Tauric

First Post
I don't want to talk about the record industry, but yay! a list!

My 'no skip' albums

The Cure: Disintegration
Rush: Caress of Steel, Power Windows, and Presto
Tori Amos: Little Earthquakes
NIN: Pretty Hate Machine
Metallica: Master of Puppets
Weezer: Make Believe and the Blue Album
Beatles: Abbey Road
Steve Earl: I Feel Alright
Son Volt: Trace
Dwight Yoakam: Last Chance for a Thousand Years
Crash Test Dummies: Ghosts That Haunt Me
10,000 Maniacs: Our Time in Eden
Barenaked Ladies: any record
Cake: any record
A Perfect Circle: Mer De Noms

Glyfair

Explorer
billd91 said:
Fleetwood Mac Rumors - a truly amazing album

I agree. Also, I think this helps point out part of a reason why great albums are becoming rarer.

Look at Say You Will, Fleetwood Mac's album from a couple of years ago. IMO, it had an album's worth of great songs on it. However, because it was on a CD, they didn't feel the need to edit the songs down to the best. That was mandatory in the days before CDs. Sure, some bad decisions might leave a great song of an album (witness "Silver Springs" being left off Rumours). However, you'd usually get that song somewhere as a 'B' side.

The best album I have that came out since 2000 was Peter Gabriel's Up. IMO, it had one clinker of a song, and the rest is amazing. Keeping with PG, "Melt" (aka Peter Gabriel III) hits my list as a true no skip album.

If you want a lesson on how to make a great album, look at the Beatles. They have a number that have no weak songs on them (Sgt. Pepper's, Abbey Road come to mind).

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
bento said:
Steelwind,

I think you're right about history and ideas behind the movement.
Most of my purchasing today, the little I do, is either soundtracks, greatest hits or esoteric stuff from the 1950s (jazz & lounge). The last full "rock" album I bought was Tom Petty's "Damn the Torpedoes" and it left me feeling like I should have bought the GH instead. :\

Damn the Torpedoes was what... 1979? Youch. This isn't about a lack of good music. Dude, you are just an out of touch old fogey. :D

Just because the vinyl album rock style has pretty much vanished does not mean that those who started in the vinyl tradition don't manage to maintain it.

Sometimes, vinyl means coherency as opposed to Album Rock too. Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Welcome to the Pleasure Dome had nothing to do with album rock, but it was still coherent and not a bad song on there. But yeah - it was still very much a vinyl era product.

As recently as last year, Green Day's American Idiot maintains that old-skool consistency. (GD's Nimrod in 1997, even more so).

Arguably Trent Reznor's Nine Inch Nails have always bucked the trend and approached each disc as a coherent whole. Maybe that is fair to say - but NIN are the exception to the rule in about everything that they do.

The Tragically Hip's Day for Night managed little more than middle of the road interest in the USA. In Canada though, The Hip they packed stadiums coast to coast on that album. Even moderate sized Canadian cities filled the stadium fields to bursting. Not one damn song on that disc was bad - but the disc was born of another tradtion and not that of album rock. I actually used to be roommates with the Hip''s lead guitarist, but that album was... lucky.

Ditto with Alanis' Jagged Little Pill - in the post vinyl era, some artists swing for the fences with a collection of songs approach and get lucky.

Last note: as for the "Why can't they just be like the Beatles?" uhmm... they try. They all try sir. As well ask the playwright to "just be like Shakespeare" or "why not that GB Shaw guy, why can't they be more like him?"

400+ years ago, Shakespeare's work graced the stage at the Globe. It's still performed today, whereas Marlowe is mostly ignored (and some of his works were lost too).

400 years from now, I expect they will still be performing the Beatles in some way, shape or form. Little else from the cultural history of the 20th century will be of interest in 2407 I expect, but the Beatles are a true moment in cultural history where the rules changed and artists were so gifted as to become living history that cut across language, culture, taste, fashion and economic status.

And they still do. And I expect - they still will, in some measure.

Music buffs in the 25th century wil visit McCartney's tomb at Westminster Abbey's Poet's Corner and sigh.

You won't see something like the Beatles again in your liftetime. Lightning like that strikes once a few centuries... if you are lucky.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Glyfair said:
Look at Say You Will, Fleetwood Mac's album from a couple of years ago. IMO, it had an album's worth of great songs on it. However, because it was on a CD, they didn't feel the need to edit the songs down to the best. That was mandatory in the days before CDs. Sure, some bad decisions might leave a great song of an album (witness "Silver Springs" being left off Rumours). However, you'd usually get that song somewhere as a 'B' side.

I think this is only a factor because you can fit a bit more recording time on a CD than you could on vinyl. There is, however, still a limit. If a band has more hot songs than they can fit in that time, sure, they'll have to make some tough choices. But I think it's not a different process than it was under vinyl.

Eonthar

Explorer
There are a couple that I have to add:

Green Day - American Idiot (Great album full of great songs - you should listen to it from beginning to end)

Evanescence - Fallen

Remove ads