• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rogue's Cunning action: Double dash, etc.

LioMurasaki

Villager
I have a question regarding a Rogue's Cunning Action ability: It states a rogue can use their bonus action to use a Dash, Disengage, or Hide option; does this mean it's possible to use dash twice? If so, with an example of 30 feet walking speed, does that give you 90 (30 + 30 + 30) or 120 (30 *2*2) walk speed?

In addition, would the rogue be able to use hide twice? Say they use hide as a regular action and fail, would they then realistically be able to use their cunning action to try again (perhaps in a slightly different location).
Yes, you actually get 120ft with a double dash, as dash states, "You get a bonus to your walking speed equal to your current speed after modifiers" if a modifier increases your speed, like a class feature, you can double the final result, and the first dash is doubling your walking speed, so now you can move four times your current walking speed

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Yes, you actually get 120ft with a double dash, as dash states, "You get a bonus to your walking speed equal to your current speed after modifiers" if a modifier increases your speed, like a class feature, you can double the final result, and the first dash is doubling your walking speed, so now you can move four times your current walking speed
Good answer, but the question was asked in 2015. ;)

FarBeyondC

Explorer

Incorrect. Dash does not increase your speed, it gives you extra movement on that turn (the turn you use the dash action) equal to your current speed.

jgsugden

Legend
@FarBeyondC is correct.
Dash
When you take the Dash action, you gain extra movement for the current turn. The increase equals your speed, after applying any modifiers. With a speed of 30 feet, for example, you can move up to 60 feet on your turn if you dash.

Any increase or decrease to your speed changes this additional movement by the same amount. If your speed of 30 feet is reduced to 15 feet, for instance, you can move up to 30 feet this turn if you dash.

auburn2

Adventurer
I have a question regarding a Rogue's Cunning Action ability: It states a rogue can use their bonus action to use a Dash, Disengage, or Hide option; does this mean it's possible to use dash twice? If so, with an example of 30 feet walking speed, does that give you 90 (30 + 30 + 30) or 120 (30 *2*2) walk speed?

In addition, would the rogue be able to use hide twice? Say they use hide as a regular action and fail, would they then realistically be able to use their cunning action to try again (perhaps in a slightly different location).
You severely nerf the rogue if you take away double dash. A Rogue with 30 speed can move 90 if he takes dash as a BA and an action.

I would say that yes he can use hide twice, but normally as he does not necessarily know if the first hide is successful I would question why he would.

Cunning action makes the Rogues really tough to pin down and prevent escape, which is what it is supposed to do.

Arial Black

Adventurer
I know this is old, but, it's actually 120ft,not 90, because dash doubles your speed after EVERY MODIFIER AND MULTIPLIER which means a dash doubles it and another dash after that doubles that dash speed
Dash does NOT increase your speed!

Dash lets you move your speed, in addition to moving your speed anyway.

Arial Black

Adventurer
I agree - that with RAW this argument doesn't stand, but RAW also says nothing about characters having the ability to breathe. Interpreting the rules then --- characters can't breathe. And RAW states follow suffocation rules - and then we won't be having this conversation. My dislike for RAW is another topic. I'm sure there are plenty of headscratching involved when running the game as RAW.

But I still maintain that the game is intended to be run with characters being able to breathe (even without the express RAW that they are able to), and that sometimes we just have to RELY on our DM's to make judgment calls on fuzzy logic, and hopefully still have a blast doing it.
This is a fundamental misunderstanding of the role of the game's mechanics (rules) in running the game.

In D&D (and any other RPG I've ever seen) there are some things the rules do cover, and some things the rules don't cover.

For the things the rules don't cover (like....breathing without being suffocated, eating, shaving, excreting....), that's what the DM is for. The expectation is that these things work just in the game world just like they do in our world, and the DM is expected to rule as such if it ever comes up in play. These things are also not covered by rules because they are not interesting in the fantasy genre.

But for the things the rules do cover (moving in combat, attacking, etc.), then the rules are permissive; meaning they do what they say they do, and you can't claim that your 1st level fighter can cast wish at will on the grounds that there are no rules that say I can't!

As a rules question, yes, you can Dash twice per round if you can Dash as a bonus action.
So SUMMARY - RAW, double dash looks to be allowed. RAI - fuzzy for me.
RAI has also been solved. JC has answered this specific question, and yes they can Dash twice per round and yes this is intended.

Remove ads