• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGXPlorer - anyone tried it?

PhineasBoggs

First Post
Sleeping is for wimps. :) (Not really, I just have screwed up hours, plus when else am I going to watch the a&e 24 24hour marathon I DVR'd? Otherwise I'd have to wait until January for day 4 to come out on video.)

Last edited:

ladyofdragons

First Post
I'd like to add another thumbs up for RPGXplorer.

I helped out with the data entry for wondrous items using the free beta (aka RPGXplorer database edition), and was surprised at how easy and fast it was to enter a relatively large number of items. The component-oriented ideas behind the program make it easy to figure out what to do. No scripting needed! While there were a few roadblocks to entering prestige classes, the development team listened to the issues, and has been very open to discussion on possible bugs, feature requests, and ideas for future versions on all areas of the application.

theprofessor

First Post
I too volunteered to do some data entry and had no trouble entering many wondrous items and several prestige classes. Like all these sorts of programs the massive complexity of the rules makes it difficult to anticipate every kind of required functionality but Anurien and his mates (minions? :) ) have a great idea with the building block approach. The "demo" available now is essentially a database of the SRD with an unlimited capacity to add your own anything. The character generator and GM tools components (due in the first and second released versions) look very promising.

Check it out. :cool:

Mynex

First Post
Anurien said:
Although RPGXplorer datasets (coming soon) will of course be a very cost effective way of saving yourself the trouble and will not need re-installing every time a new patch comes out unlike *ahem*......certain other products.

p.s. Phin - you really should get some sleep man! :)

Very nice, very subtle, I almost missed this... Not. Just have a pair and say e-tools or PCGen sheesh. *rolls eyes*

As to why updates/reinstalls are required, that's been hashed out so many times it's not funny, but if someone still doesn't know and wants to, please start another thread here or on our forums.

Ya know, I don't take pot shots at other software, never have either. I'm actually very supportive of other software programs. Why? More is better. Competition breeds improvement, and that's only good for the end user.

Anyways, to stay vageuly on track here, the demo looks nice, I'll refrain from full judgement until the final is released.

Anurien

First Post
Mynex said:
Very nice, very subtle, I almost missed this... Not. Just have a pair and say e-tools or PCGen sheesh. *rolls eyes*

Ya know, I don't take pot shots at other software, never have either.

You're right of course. Very childish of me. I can but apologise. I've edited the post accordingly.

See you on the field :)

Mercule

Adventurer
I haven't had much luck entering in the data I want to. I just can't seem to find the right spot and the labels for the sections use language that isn't intuitive to me. In fairness, though, I've only had about an hour, maybe two, to look at it. Even that was back with the first pre-release version. So, don't take what I say too seriously.

The thing is really, really nice looking, though. Even if I'm having data entry issues, the interface leads me to believe that it'll be much easier for a player to use than anything out there now -- by a long shot.

Since the developers are here, I've got a couple of specific questions for you guys: Is this going to support psionics/spell points? Obviously, it'll take some data entry on my part, but I'm curious whether it'll even be supported, since IMC every caster class has spell points instead of slots.

The other things I'm using in my game that I'd like to be able to implement are action points, class defense bonus, armor as DR, and the UA weapon group proficiencies. I've got all these figured out in PCGen, so it's definitely something I'm looking at in any new product.

PhineasBoggs

First Post
What were you trying to enter in? When I first started playing with it, it took a little while to figure out which things were features or system componants, but most everything was there to do what you wanted to....if you knew where to look.

Mercule

Adventurer
PhineasBoggs said:
What were you trying to enter in? When I first started playing with it, it took a little while to figure out which things were features or system componants, but most everything was there to do what you wanted to....if you knew where to look.

That's what I'm assuming. I just need to take the time to learn it. It'd be awesome if there was a sample for "this is how to enter a new feat/weapon/class".

Specifically, I was trying to figure out the spell-point thing. I couldn't even figure out how the spell slots were stored, let alone how to coopt them into points. All I turned up was the HTML description of the class (and things like the hps, skills, etc.). I also had a hard time getting Swashbuckler to get set up correctly.

Oh, another question: Will multiple campaigns be possible? For example, my homebrew is heavily modified, with different races, spell points, etc. But, we also are starting an Eberron campaign, to be run in parallel, that uses 100% standard rules. Will I be able to use RPGXplorer to handle characters for both?

PhineasBoggs

First Post
Alternate rules sets aren't supported yet, but the guys are taking feedback and suggestions on it right now, so it's in the works.

Yeah, no help files as of yet...it's still the beta so rest assured the full version will have one.

For spells, not sure if you can convert them to spell points.

For help, not sure if you even wanted it, but you can ask in the "Help" forum or even here I guess. I'll refrain from explaining how to add the spells levels as you'll either figure it soon enough, or weren't asking.

Swashbuckler was one of the classes I actually entered in, so I know you can do it all. The easiest way I found was to first create the features, either by scractch or copying existing features and renaming them. Then add the features level by level to the class.

Mercule

Adventurer
PhineasBoggs said:
For help, not sure if you even wanted it, but you can ask in the "Help" forum

Yeah. I keep thinking that I should register over there. I read some of it. But, as I haven't had much time to try the software, some of the specific questions are hard to follow.

Hopefully, I'll have time to try the latest build soon.

Remove ads