D&D 5E Ryoko's Guide to the Yokai Realms 5E

Reynard

Legend
It’s not hard to see why. A popular YouTube channel. A Japanese folklore and pop culture book. Subsystems for harvesting, crafting, and companions. Kaiju. Made for 5E. It was almost destined to do well.
There have been 100 crafting monster hunting 5E books and they have done kind of OK? I guess it is just a perfect storm. Maybe the Asian element is that strong with the market, with the importance of anime and anime adjacent stuff for Millenials and GenZ.

Scribe

Legend
It’s not hard to see why. A popular YouTube channel. A Japanese folklore and pop culture book. Subsystems for harvesting, crafting, and companions. Kaiju. Made for 5E. It was almost destined to do well.

The only shock is that Wizards hasnt tapped into this stuff, but if they want to continue to watch money walk out the door? Fair enough.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
There have been 100 crafting monster hunting 5E books and they have done kind of OK? I guess it is just a perfect storm. Maybe the Asian element is that strong with the market, with the importance of anime and anime adjacent stuff for Millenials and GenZ.
...and Gen-Xers like me. I grew up playing Zelda and Final Fantasy on the Nintendo, and watching Space Battleship Yamato, Akira, and all the Godzilla movies and television shows I could find. There's plenty of us 70s and 80s kids who love anime, kaiju, and wuxia. :cool:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
...and Gen-Xers like me. I grew up playing Zelda and Final Fantasy on the Nintendo, and watching Space Battleship Yamato, Akira, and all the Godzilla movies and television shows I could find. There's plenty of us 70s and 80s kids who love anime, kaiju, and wuxia. :cool:
Absolutely. Hell, look at the sales numbers from the AD&D OA book. It sold better than any other setting book. There's a long...long history of geeks being into Asian-themed media. It hasn't lessened over the decades, only grown stronger. Especially with anime, manga, light novels, JRPGs, etc exploding across western pop culture.

Reynard

Legend
Yeah but we have had multiple solid Asian inspired games during our run.

Today Asian speculative fiction (manga, anime, manhua, donghua, manhwa...) is a great source of inspiration among lots of players from the last generations, and this is not wrong, we shouldn't reject this. Gary Gygax and company enjoyed different sources of inspiration, and this also is right.

I shouldn't give an opinion about the right market strategy in Asia if Hasbro knows about this more than me thanks their own experiencies. I guess before they would rather to licence inD&DB and await to see the reactions by the players.

How would be a D&D "cultivator" class in D&DBeyond?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Today Asian speculative fiction (manga, anime, manhua, donghua, manhwa...) is a great source of inspiration among lots of players from the last generations, and this is not wrong, we shouldn't reject this. Gary Gygax and company enjoyed different sources of inspiration, and this also is right.

I shouldn't give an opinion about the right market strategy in Asia if Hasbro knows about this more than me thanks their own experiencies. I guess before they would rather to licence inD&DB and await to see the reactions by the players.

How would be a D&D "cultivator" class in D&DBeyond?
They're definitely not going to license this project

Remove ads