• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rystil's Next Game--You Pick!

Which Game Should Rystil Make Next (Read Descriptions Below!)

Rystil Arden

First Post
MonsterMash said:
I voted Arthurian as my luv of Arthurian romance kno no limit.
:)

Actually the homebrew sounds good too, but I've not got any great love for the published settings listed.
Well, technically the only 'published' setting listed is Planescape, since I never published my Gestalt worlds and Eyros hasn't been published yet :p

But I do admit that I also have a soft-spot for Arthurian legend and literature (pre-Mallory as well as the recent stuff, see my earlier post on the matter)

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
a) Just take six. Simple, easy, straightforward.

Will this option be selection through character concepts (as in we all post one and you pick the party) or will you pick the players up front and then those selected get to come up with characters?

Rystil Arden said:
b) Run mirrors of Kiss of Darkness
Pros: More people get to play Kiss of Darkness
Cons: I'm running two of the same game, People can try to peek

Believe it or not - that's how my Mightier than the Sword and Clutches of Evil games started out. But they didn't last as the same game for very long ... :)

Rystil Arden said:
c) Run two different adventures in the world
Pros: Two different games and more people get to play
Cons: Second adventure may not be as cool as Kiss of Darkness, though my players always did like my sidequests...

This is a viable option. If you are worried about coming up with a fluid side adventure (although my understanding of your DMship is that you really have no reason to worry) you could always take the more experienced gamers and put them in the side quest so that the adventure you already have written out is with the less experienced group (allowing you to focus on getting people into PbP format) while the more experienced players will be much more forgiving - and probably even helpful - in making the "side quest" cool - as you put it.

Rystil Arden said:
d) Run Kiss of Darkness and the runner-up as an either/or for players where you can only pick one
Pros: More people get to play, more different concepts
Cons: Someone who really wanted to play Kiss of Darkness *and* the runner-up as well can only play in one, whereas if I just choose option (a) and do the runner-up later, they could play both.

Also viable, but since I only voted for the Homebrew it wouldn't matter as much for me... :)

Personally - as if my opinion realy mattered! - if you've got the time, I like option C the best. I would volunteer for the sidequest or the main game as you saw fit. Of course, it is totally your game and your decision, so I'll just shut up now!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
b) Run mirrors of Kiss of Darkness
Pros: More people get to play Kiss of Darkness
Cons: I'm running two of the same game, People can try to peek

c) Run two different adventures in the world
Pros: Two different games and more people get to play
Cons: Second adventure may not be as cool as Kiss of Darkness, though my players always did like my sidequests...

d) Run Kiss of Darkness and the runner-up as an either/or for players where you can only pick one
Pros: More people get to play, more different concepts
Cons: Someone who really wanted to play Kiss of Darkness *and* the runner-up as well can only play in one, whereas if I just choose option (a) and do the runner-up later, they could play both.
These 3 are the best I think, though honestly, I would prefer D and you run a Planescape adventure for 1 of them. You know my concept, (though for Kiss of Darkness, I'm tempted to do something similar to Mel form Scion, though not the same character or temperment, but similar skill set), and it works realy in either game. I am just more interested in trying Planescape as something new than Kiss of Darkness (Hense why I didn't vote for Kiss).

Ultimately though, it's up to you what to do. B means the least number of people miss out on Kiss, and I realy don't think people are going to peek in one thread to find out about the other (That's pretty cheasy, and should be fairly obvious for you to spot), especialy since one is likely to move faster than the other.

As far as how you select players, I think that if you do B or C, you just have everyone create characters, and you pair up the groups yourself.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Personally - as if my opinion realy mattered! - if you've got the time, I like option C the best. I would volunteer for the sidequest or the main game as you saw fit. Of course, it is totally your game and your decision, so I'll just shut up now!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Thanks for your opinion--I actually did know that you started up your first two games as mirrors (I was peeking a bit at that recruitment thread what seems like a long time ago but didn't respond), and I've used something similar to option C in the past as well in my Twin Infinities recruiting thread :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
These 3 are the best I think, though honestly, I would prefer D and you run a Planescape adventure for 1 of them. You know my concept, (though for Kiss of Darkness, I'm tempted to do something similar to Mel form Scion, though not the same character or temperment, but similar skill set), and it works realy in either game. I am just more interested in trying Planescape as something new than Kiss of Darkness (Hense why I didn't vote for Kiss).

Ultimately though, it's up to you what to do. B means the least number of people miss out on Kiss, and I realy don't think people are going to peek in one thread to find out about the other (That's pretty cheasy, and should be fairly obvious for you to spot), especialy since one is likely to move faster than the other.

As far as how you select players, I think that if you do B or C, you just have everyone create characters, and you pair up the groups yourself.
Well one good thing (for Planescape lovers) about my Homebrew games is that it is rare for one of my games to not wind up going to the Planes at least a little :), and I use the basic Planescape cosmology and staunchly refuse to change to the 3e specs (a pox on coterminous Astral and Ethereal planes! Infinite and all-encompassing but never overlapping I say! :])

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Well, I have honestly never done Planescape - so that would interst me, although I didn't vote for it. I personally love getting into other people's worlds the best - hence why I voted homebrew. But if you do choose up a game and do "Kiss" and "Planescape" you could put me where you needed me - if you even select me at all!

Eluvan

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Well one good thing (for Planescape lovers) about my Homebrew games is that it is rare for one of my games to not wind up going to the Planes at least a little :), and I use the basic Planescape cosmology and staunchly refuse to change to the 3e specs (a pox on coterminous Astral and Ethereal planes! Infinite and all-encompassing but never overlapping I say! :])

I want to play in one of your games. I really do. :D

Lord_Raven88

First Post
I'd be interested in whatever option you choose, also I only voted for 1 option in the poll, my second choice would be planescape, as I like the idea of travelling the planes. I'd have to have a clueless character though, as I just don't know enough about the setting.

doghead

thotd
If I were you, I'd go with option B. The most players for the least amount of work. And in my experience, if you ask people not to peek, most people won't. As someone said, doing so is pretty cheasy.

But if you were me you would go with D and choose the post Arthurian game cos I think it sounds really cool :D

thotd

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads