(S)Entry - Nights Black Agents - Recruitment thread (2 spots left, jump in whenever)

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I picked up Nights Black Agents a couple of months ago, and given that my face to face group has pretty much self destructed due to personal drama, I decided, after having been run through a brief scenario by [MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION], to attempt to run a campaign via play by post.

In case you are wondering, here is the box quote for Nights Black Agents:

The Cold War is over. Bush’s War is winding down.

You were a shadowy soldier in those fights, trained to move through the secret world: deniable and deadly.

Then you got out, or you got shut out, or you got burned out. You didn’t come in from the cold. Instead, you found your own entrances into Europe’s clandestine networks of power and crime. You did a few ops, and you asked even fewer questions. Who gave you that job in Prague? Who paid for your silence in that Swiss account? You told yourself it didn’t matter.

It turned out to matter a lot. Because it turned out you were working for vampires.

Vampires exist. What can they do? Who do they own? Where is safe? You don’t know those answers yet. So you’d better start asking questions. You have to trace the bloodsuckers’ operations, penetrate their networks, follow their trail, and target their weak points. Because if you don’t hunt them, they will hunt you. And they will kill you.

If you are asking yourself, "Am I signing up for James Bond vs Dracula", you would be right.

From a different thread, there are some people who have already reserved spots:

[MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION]
[MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15341]Committed Hero[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1656]Hypersmurf[/MENTION]

I also had interest from [MENTION=1231]Kaodi[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6705529]tunafish[/MENTION] in the thread. They will get right of first refusal for the two spots that are left.

Characters
On the Nights Black Agents page over at Pelgrane Press, there is a set of pre-generated PCs. We will be using those with one important caveat. The stats will be kept the same, however, I would like people to feel free to re-skin the details, backstory, etc should they desire. However, the current crop of PCs have integrated backstories...

Posting rate
I will endeavor to post at least once a day, and will try to go faster if you guys manage it. Weekends, OTOH, are pretty busy and computer time is limited most of the time, especially with the summer coming up.

Game thread
The game thread will be up in a couple of days. Watch this thread for links.

Dice
When [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] gets the dice roller up, we will use it. Until then, you can either use something like Invisible Castle or your own dice and report the results, whichever you prefer.

Last edited:

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Here are the original characters, and it will also be used to provide links to the posts where they have been reskinned:

Gabriella Castellanos (thief): [MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION]
Dr. Felix DuBois (assassin):
Hung-Ke Lee (hacker): [MENTION=15341]Committed Hero[/MENTION]
Mace Hunter (con man): [MENTION=1231]Kaodi[/MENTION]
Oliver "Ashcan" Quinn (wheelman, explosives expert): [MENTION=1656]Hypersmurf[/MENTION]
Persephone Cardiff (Analyst):

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
I was definitely interested in keeping on. That is why I asked, ;) .

If [MENTION=1656]Hypersmurf[/MENTION] is planning on keeping Gabriella I will stick with Mace. Otherwise I may give choice of character a second thought.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Also, I will use the second post as a way of tracking how much you have used from your various pools. As you use points from one of your abilities, mention it in a way that lets me know the pool, the number of points you are using, and the total number of points in the pool. So, if you have an 8-point Explosives pool, and are using 3 points, then something similar to "Explosives 3/8" so that it is easy for me (and for you) to keep track of how much you have used and have left. Also, there are certain abilities that you can use to get pool refreshes, or by doing a techno-thriller monologue. If you do so, let me know in an OOC comment so that I can adjust the points and am aware of what you are doing.

Finally, have fun. I am going to try to give a basic description of the situation and i will also do my best to let you draw in the environment, within reason. If you can justify (using action/spy movie logic, not Simpsons logic) something being in the room, go for it. If I am unsure, I will ask.

Finally +1 - I am completely inexperienced as a DM. Please feel free to offer any advice or suggestions.

Edit to add - In the IC thread, please try to remember to keep your sigs from being shown.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If [MENTION=1656]Hypersmurf[/MENTION] is planning on keeping Gabriella I will stick with Mace. Otherwise I may give choice of character a second thought.

I can do - I'm just feeling a hankering to blow some stuff up. I've played Gabriella a few times now, but haven't had a chance to try Ashcan before.

But I know I can have a lot of fun with Gabby. Hmm. How about - if anyone has a particular yen to play the sneak-thief, I'll cede Gabriella and take Ashcan. But if nobody's especially enthused to give her a spin, I'll keep her on.

-Hyp.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
(S)Entry - Nights Black Agents - Recruitment thread

Kaodi, you cool still playing H-K if I switch with Hypersmurf and take Gabriella?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Characters
On the Nights Black Agents page over at Pelgrane Press, there is a set of pre-generated PCs. We will be using those with one important caveat. The stats will be kept the same, however, I would like people to re-skin the details, backstory, etc.
Ha! I can tell I have pride of ownership. I'd argue that stats are ephemeral, but the backgrounds are the things that make those characters work. Clearly, I'm prejudiced. :)

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Ha! I can tell I have pride of ownership. I'd argue that stats are ephemeral, but the backgrounds are the things that make those characters work. Clearly, I'm prejudiced. :)

The backgrounds *are* awesome, and the pictures to go with it are great, I just want people to have the opportunity to make them their own should they desire.

Remove ads