S1: Tomb of Horrors - OOC

kinem

Adventurer
I don't know what became of Ballistic but I think it's safe to say by now that he has proven to be unreliable. We will proceed without him.

[MENTION=49929]Scott DeWar[/MENTION], in place of a bonded item or familiar, I will let a wizard choose a bonus feat at 1st level. Let me know if you want to do that or not. As usual for wizard bonus feats, the feat must be a metamagic feat, an item creation feat, or Spell Mastery.

kinem

Adventurer
There are certainly no guarantees that any kind of party will be OK in the ToH, but I'd say a rogue is more important than a fighter. There are a few tough combats though.

I will open recruiting for one more PC. He may end up joining you later.

The "other adventurers" that might be sent to join your quest were intended to allow an opportunity to replace dead PCs (with the same players, if you want).

Myth and Legend

First Post
Scott you don't need to pay full scroll price for your spells in 3.5, not sure if PF messed with this, but you can pay a fee to copy the spell in your spellbook at 50 gold per spell level. It's in the DMG and SRD.

In most cases, wizards charge a fee for the privilege of copying spells from their spellbooks. This fee is usually equal to the spell’s level × 50 gp.

Also if you're starting at a level where you can afford it, always get a blessed book instead of a plain old regular spell book. Memorize your spells and hide the BB in your handy harversack. Carry a fake plain spellbook on your person, trapped with explosive runes and sepia snake sigils for when the DM decides to have it get snatched.

kinem

Adventurer
I don't know how most people do it, but I've always seen scroll buying being used to stock a wizard's spellbook when creating PCs above 1st level. That is the method I'll use (and for NPCs too). Copying from another wizard's book is possible but must be done in play as it implies a degree of trust and alliance between the wizards.

It may be moot though since this game has seen no activity for a week.

Scott Dewar unfortunately has more important problems to deal with.

[MENTION=54955]WarShrike[/MENTION], [MENTION=24609]Strahd_Von_Zarovich[/MENTION] : SRD shopping overload? The opportunity to add a few more items didn't go over as well as I expected :erm: Strahd, I see you didn't pick spells yet either.

No new recruit. I could probably get one from another site, but I'm thinking it may not be worth it.

Should we call off the game?

It could be a long time before Scott's back in the game.

Could we begin with 2 players? Sure; even a 1 PC game is possible. Encounters could be scaled down if need be. But no game can work if the players are just not into it.

Myth and Legend

First Post
I love the Tomb of Horrors. If you concede to making it a 3.5 game I would join despite being so busy it's coming out of my nose :D

For players, you could always get people from the Giant in the Playground forums. Or you could host the game there, I have an account there as well. But the percentage who know and have played the module will be higher, and the powergaming will be much more emphasized.

As for playing full scroll price for spells - that's a common mistake, one I made when I rolled my first character here (a level 20 Wizard, lol was that a lot of work for a newbie). It's absolutely fine if you want to make this a house rule (Wizards need a nerf) but it's not a universal one and most experienced 3.5ers will know about this. But there are so many issues with starting above level 1 anyway, it can't really be equated with a regular 1 to x game.

kinem

Adventurer
Strahd, I was referring to the IC thread where the option was given of taking out a loan against the fee you're getting. WarShrike asked about it.

He hasn't been here in over a week though. This is not a viable pace. Adding more players would result in more activity but not a faster game in cases where a decision needs to be made by all (which is pretty common), or everyone needs to act in combat.

Sorry, guys, but I am calling off the game. I may try again to run this module some time in the future. Thanks to everyone for giving it a shot and for a short but fun bit of RP.

I may soon try to start a different game that might attract more interest.

Remove ads