• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sacred Cows for any edition

Which Sacred Cows are required to feel like D&D?

• Six Ability Scores

Votes: 144 87.3%
  • Alignment

Votes: 61 37.0%
  • Hit Points

Votes: 141 85.5%
  • Armor Class

Votes: 132 80.0%
  • Saving Throws

Votes: 87 52.7%
  • Cleric Domains

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Eight Schools of Magic

Votes: 16 9.7%
  • Levels

Votes: 155 93.9%
  • Skill Ranks

Votes: 13 7.9%
  • Other (post your sacred cow below)

Votes: 41 24.8%

Roman

First Post
Levels, classes and races are an absolute must. I really don't consider having six ability scores as essential at all - D&D not only had different numbers before, but I would outright prefer having a few more.

There are many other mechanics, however, that I consider quasi-essential to D&D. This means that losing one of those other mechanics wouldn't break the D&D feel for me on its own, but if more than a couple were replaced with something else or changed substantially, the game would lose its D&D feel to me.

Mercule

Adventurer
If the specifics do not matter, then Tunnels & Trolls -- which also has six ability scores, and saving rolls -- is D&D.
IMO, the six stats are str, int, wis, dex, con, chr and have a normal range of 3-18 for humans.

Also, classes as archetypes and multiples races. A humanocentric default world is important, also, with other races primarily defined by how they differ from humans.

I voted "eight schools of magic", but I really just mean "schools of magic". I don't know how else I'd break it down, but I don't think seven or nine would break it for me.

AC and HP also made my list, and I'd add XP, too.

Though I really enjoy 4e, there are obviously some elements of it that force me to agree it's not so much D&D, anymore. I don't think it's diverged so far that a 5e based on 4e couldn't pull it back, but I'd like to see humans starting with a 20 stat and the creature canteena removed, with the schools of magic added back in.

I also realized recently that the existence of an alchemical sunrod that throws light to 100' breaks the "D&D" feel more than having power cards and pipecleaners at the table do. At a gut level, I'm grouping that with "resource management" of a specific nature because I think the root issue lies that way.

And throw in multiple kinds of dice, with an emphasis on the d20.

IanArgent

First Post
Class/level-based system, stats based on the 3-18 curve, Hit Points, Armor Class, polyherdral dice with an emphasis on the D20.

Invisible Stalker

First Post
I have a herd.

Using a Dungeon Master
The four classic classes: magic-user, cleric, fighter and thief
Six ability scores: STR, INT, WIS, DEX, CON & CHA
Races: humans, elves, dwarves, halflings
Levels
Hit Points
Armor Class
Saving Throws
dice rolling/ element of chance
magic spells
magic items
various monsters with dragons at the top of the list
Alignment
medieval European setting

TwinBahamut

First Post
Since you quoted me...
If the specifics do not matter, then Tunnels & Trolls -- which also has six ability scores, and saving rolls -- is D&D.
No.

Just because A implies B does not mean that B implies A. You are making a basic logical error. D&D would not be D&D if it didn't have races, classes, and levels, but that doesn't mean that everything with races, classes, and levels is D&D. For example, countless videogames use a race/class/level divide and I would never call them D&D.

Just because some things may be similar to D&D does not mean that they are forms of D&D. D&D is not defined by some quality of "not resembling anything else".

Erekose

Eternal Champion
I have a herd.

Using a Dungeon Master
The four classic classes: magic-user, cleric, fighter and thief
Six ability scores: STR, INT, WIS, DEX, CON & CHA
Races: humans, elves, dwarves, halflings
Levels
Hit Points
Armor Class
Saving Throws
dice rolling/ element of chance
magic spells
magic items
various monsters with dragons at the top of the list
Alignment
medieval European setting

Another vote fpr this list!

Doug McCrae

Legend
I have no problem with the idea that Tunnels & Trolls is D&D, in the broader sense of systems whose rules and gameplay closely resemble those of D&D. Palladium Fantasy is D&D also.

Until 4e I would've said alignment was a possibility as an essential, but now my attitude has changed, it's no longer a contender. Even though 4e technically has alignment it's been disconnected from all other rules and can be houseruled out at will. For me new editions really do change the definition of 'D&D'. It changes over time, no different from any other word or phrase.

Remove ads