Sailors on the Starless Sea

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Kurl steps back in horror. "By the Dark Mother's teet, what is it?"

Tender guffaws as he rushes forward, "You're the dark arts expert. Shouldn't you know? Nice that you find religion now, though I find your choice of deities suspect." He attempts to smack the ooze down with his crowbar.

Happy shouts, "Tender, don't let the thing touch your skin! We don't know what black sorcery is at work!" He swings with his longsword, trying to slice the pseudopod off."

"Stay back, Betsy," Boral says. He goes to another side of the creature and pokes it with a pitchfork.

"I don't know if your weapons will have an effect," Kurl admits as he continues to move further away. "Fire... fire may be of use here, too." He looks around for something flammable, like an unlit torch.

Dogmatron

First Post
Oblivious to the fight brewing by the alter, Brom pulls the coffer from the debris, after rubbing some of the dirt off it he will try to open it.

"That's not a teat," quipped Fendrik, "Maybe something that dripped out of the Dark Mother teat, but that's no teat!" The halfling hefts the rock he picked up earlier and throws it at the black goo...

Geoffrey picks up one of the maces, and with it shakily held out in front of him, backs towards the door.

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
"Spew of the Swamp Giants!" Alaric curses, and leaps back with his sword before him. Though brave, he has no desire to feel the touch of death just yet. "This for you

Borok pulls out his vial of holy water, uncorks it, and runs forward to splash the slime. His other hand holds his warhammer, ready to strike.

doghead

thotd
Narančasta, Siva

Alaric, moving with less caution towards the fountain than Kurl, also sees the gemstones and feels the increased heat as he moves up closer. As he steps up to search around the fountain for hidden things the black, tarry ichor drips out of the basin and flows up into a mass that stands half the height of a man and looms threateningly towards the squire. Embers seem to flicker and fade throughout the flow of the ooze and a pseudopod begins to stretch out from the main mass towards Alaric...

Siva takes a shot at the monstrosity if she can get a clear line of sight through the others in the room.

[roll0][roll1]

"I don't know if your weapons will have an effect," Kurl admits as he continues to move further away. "Fire... fire may be of use here, too." He looks around for something flammable, like an unlit torch.

"Fire I suspect," says Narančasta as he crossed the room to close with thing, "will have little effect. "See the embers inside it. The heat in the room still is its doing I think."

"This for you." Borok pulls out his vial of holy water, uncorks it, and runs forward to splash the slime. His other hand holds his warhammer, ready to strike.

Narančasta attacks the monstrosity with either his sword or the holy water, depending on which seems the more effective. [roll2][roll3]

GlassEye

Adventurer
Tender is the first to react to the presence of the ooze and Happy is moving along right behind him. When Tender strikes the ooze it splatters tar onto the toad fountain and the ooze recoils from the blow. Happy’s sword, however, seems to pass through it with a minimum of tarry splatter. Boral’s pitchfork misses its mark entirely.

Fendrel flings a rock across the room at the ooze but in the shifting chaos of battle it misses the ooze and careens off Happy’s helmet.

Borok’s holy water splashes the ooze but seems to have no effect on it. Unfortunately, Death disregards Alaric’s desires. As the squire leaps back he momentarily leaves himself exposed and the ooze lashes out with its pseudopod delivering a crushing blow to Alaric and coating his chest with tar. Alaric falls to the floor of the chapel with lifeless eyes staring at grey sky. The tar on his chest ignites.

Siva takes a chance when a clear sight-line opens. The arrow flies across the room and straight through the ooze’s pseudopod but it is difficult to tell whether the arrow damaged it or not. Narančasta moves up into the melee and attacks with his sword. The blade does better than Happy’s but not quite as well as Narančasta thinks it should have.

The ooze mindlessly lashes out. Its pseudopod knocks Happy spinning and his helmet clatters across the floor. Happy falls dead and, like Alaric, bursts into flame where the tarry creature struck him.

Brom (now aware that a fight has broken out) discovers the coffer is locked.

GM: Round Two: everyone is up.

[sblock=OOC]Ouch! Two dead. RIP Alaric & Happy.

Tender: Tender atk (1d20=14) for Tender dmg (1d3=3)

Happy: Happy atk (1d20=18) for Happy dmg (half) (1d8=3)

Boral: Boral atk (1d20=4) MISS

Fendrel: Fendrel atk (1d20-1=3) MISS
Friendly fire? low=yes (1d100=6)
Attack vs. Happy: AC 10 (1d20-1=7) MISS

Atk on Alaric: withdraw atk (1d20+4=17) for ooze dmg (1d4=4)

Atk on Happy: ooze atk (1d20+4=11) for ooze dmg (1d4=4)

Ooze (AC 10) damage: 8/? Hp[/sblock]

doghead

thotd
Narančasta, Siva

Narančasta screams as Alaric and Happy are killed by the black monstrosity. A wordless howl of frustration, a battle-cry, a roar of defiance; it is hard to tell.

"Blunt weapons! Use the maces and throw rocks!" he yells as he switches grip on his sword and attacks again using the flat of the blade. As a young squire in the yards he experienced plenty bruises and the odd concussion from the weapons master wielding the flat of a blade; enough to know 4 feet of flat steel can still do damage.

[roll0] Damage? :erm:

Siva pulls another arrow, nocks and draws. She understands Narančasta's instructions, but still thinks a yard of iron tipped wood will have have more effect than thrown rocks. Once again she waits for an opening before shooting.

[roll1] Damage? :erm:

[sblock=OOC]Not sure how using the flat of the blade will go. So I just rolled the basic dice and thought I would leave it up to you :)

The up side of the plan is it avoids having to drop and pick up another weapon. Mace and flails do 1d6, so it seems a 50/50 call.[/sblock]

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Siva's arrow again punches through the ooze but this time it appears to have affected the creature.

Narančasta shifts enough to use the flat of his blade. It does less than the edge in normal circumstances but this is not a normal circumstance and the flat squelches through the center of the ooze. The thing slumps into a sticky, black puddle that is no longer a threat to the lives of those in the chapel.

All is quiet now.

doghead

thotd
Narančasta, Siva

Narančasta slumps for moment, leaning on the point of his sword. He is motionless for a moment, before drawing himself back upright.

"Right, lets get what we came for and get out of here. Move!"

He proceeds over to the fallen, knowing what he will find but hoping for it to be otherwise. He performs the increasing familiar ritual over each body.

Siva slings her bow and helps with the removal of the armour and collection of weapons.

OOC: I so thought he was going to die.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Tender mutters to himself, upset at Alaric's and Happy's deaths. "There's fewer and fewer of us with every other breath."

Boral also grabs a mace, and says whiningly, "If by any chance I fall, Mr. Tender, I want you to promise you'll take care of Betsy. She can't manage on her own."

Kurl grimaces and growls, "Enough! Narancasta is right. Let's make a quick search and get out of here before something else oozes forth." Kurl looks quickly at the iron coffer and checks its condition.

OOC: Does the chainmail look usable? What about the state of the coffer; is it open?

Edited to update Happy's death. Missed that somehow.

Last edited:

Remove ads