Sailors on the Starless Sea

Dogmatron

First Post
Brom studies the tumbled blocks. "Let me take a good look...maybe there is a way through." The dwarf walks back and forth across the top of the fallen wall, occasionally stroking his beard, trying to determine if there is a safe way through.

Geoffrey tugs at the ill fitting suit of armor while the mafe he picked up threatens to fall from his belt. He just wanted to earn enough coin to be able to marry his sweet heart and now it looks like he was going to be on "the front line". He wasn't sure waht that meant but it didn't sound very safe.

Meanwhile, Fendrel will sit off to the side and try to open the iron chest that Brom found in the temple. If he can find something like a bit of wire he will try to jimmy the lock otherwise he finds a good size rock and bashes it a few times.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Brom studies and paces and eventually decides that it is possible to ascend or descend the precariously stacked blocks without causing an avalanche so long as that someone knows what they are doing (and he wouldn't trust anyone but a dwarf or a miner or another stonemason to know) or have someone point out the safest path for them. One misstep or miscommunication, however, would be disastrous.

And as four people step out of the forest and into the sun those at the top of the hill in the keep recognize the brightly colored silks of Franko the fickle, a jester fairly new to Krivstad. Likewise, Franko, Jakob, Homar, and Hank see a group clustered about the top of the tumble of stones examining the jumble that are probably those citizens of Krivstad who came to the keep to rescue their fellow villagers.

The lock proves resistant to Fendrel's attempt to pick it and nearly proves resistant to rock-bashing as well. It takes several strikes before the halfling manages to spring the lid and pry it open. Inside is a bundle of cloth stitched with the golden sign of Chaos. Wrapped within are three cones of incense.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
The late comers
Franko "Uh, well I could be wrong there. Look at the tumbled stones. Isn't that them?"

Jakob "See, I told you so."

Homar "Huh. If its ok for them, the we should join them. come on then."

Hank "Well never mind the other side then, since I see they are at that spot."

The four late comers start up the path to the precariously balanced stones.

doghead

thotd
Narančasta, Siva

"Perhaps we could use stones to mark out a path, incase we need to get out this way later." Narančasta suggests.

But otherwise he leaves the task of getting the newcomers safely to the courtyard in the hands of Brom.

Siva keeps a wary eye out on the courtyard.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Boral moves forwards with Betsy, causing the cow's bell to ring as he looks at the cloth with the symbol of chaos etched into it. "A terrible thing to look at, isn't it? Maybe we should burn it lest we attract wicked spirits."

"Nonsense," says Kurl. "Any chaotic spirits that wish to kill us would be out to do the deed regardless of what we might wear. Besides, I think it's darned fashionable," he says as he holds it in his hands.

"Stop teasing the lad," demands Tender. "You can see he's ready to go off his rocker any moment now." Turning to the newcomers, Tender says in an apologetic voice, "I'm sorry about our behavior. We've been quite a bit high strung from recent events."

Dogmatron

First Post
When Brom sees the newcomers start to climb up the tumbled blocks he waves his arms and starts to yell.

"Stop you fools! You'll bring the whole lot tumbling down. Wait there and I'll see if I can guide you up!"

He starts to work his way down the blocks, carefully taking note of any unstable blocks to avoid on the way back up.

Fendrek carefuly sniffs the incense before wrapping them back up in the cloth and stuffing them in the backpack. "It's just a bit of cloth with a design on it. Don't mean it's a thing of evil. Besides, that gold thread has got to be worth something and if we're carefull we can pick it out...then it's just some thread and a black cloth."

Geoffrey finally gives up trying to adjust the suit of armor and starts clumsily swinging the mace around in an attempt to get used to its weight.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

The late comers
Franko Franko freezes in his steps, "So where to first?"

Jakob "How long has this keep been like this, I wonder."

Homar "Ha! I know the blocks were dangerous."

Hank "Oh hush homer." Hank rolls his eyes at Homer.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Suspecting that the colossal stones could tumble with a misstep is much different than actually knowing where they should step to avoid that deadly avalanche. Luckily Brom has taken it upon himself to lead the newcomers up the hazardous, giant's stair into the keep, and descends to guide them.

[sblock=Brom Rollason]I made the Int check for Brom earlier but forgot to link the roll. Brom can descend and ascend the pile and point out the safe spots to the others. The gods of Law look favorably upon him for his service to his fellows: +1 to Brom's Luck score.[/sblock][sblock=Scott DeWar]I need a DC 10 Int check for each of your characters. Add your Int modifier (notice that they calculate differently than 3e/PF) and a +2 modifier for Brom's assistance.

Also, since you're new to DCC, let me explain about Luck. Any time you roll a die you can spend luck to modify the roll. Say you miss what you think is a vital roll by two, you can spend two points of Luck to give you a +2 bonus and thus make the roll. However, that is a permanent expenditure and your Luck score will be lower by however many points are spent. But, impress the gods and you might just earn some back in the form of Luck awards.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

The late comers

dc 10 int check
Franko
1d20+2=7 +2 from Brom = 9
use 1 luck point

Jakob
1d20+1=15 made it!

Homar
1d20+4=7 bad roll :(
use 3 luck

Hank
1d20+3=6 a worse roll ;(
use 4 luck

ooc: Wow, internet is buggy today. lost a few rolls in this.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Brom is about ready to pull his beard out by the time he gets the four up the tumbled mass of stone. He was certain several times that missteps were going to send the stones, and him with them, down in an avalanche. Apparently luck was with them all and they all step from the stones to the safer footing of the courtyard.

Remove ads