[Savage Worlds] ¡Los Californios! (OOC)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Ok.. I'm not going to quote because answering the questions based on the quotes is derailing my thought process.

I assume this world exists like the one in Neil Gaimen's American Gods and Terry Gilliam's movie the Adventures of Barron Munchausen. Meaning that the supernatural exists but the forces of civilization (largely reason) and the abandonment of belief weakens the strength of the supernatural and hinder's its ability to function.

What this means is that:

Nature spirits, the "Manitous", and the Gods themselves exist and have never retreated;; however, as a result of the Age of Reason and the Enlightenment, people are in the process of abandoning them in favor of science, reason, and logic. As such, the powers of the supernatural seem to be diminishing.

As for believing in a supernatural history, "Logic and reason dictates that everything can be explain by science. That which cannot either does not exist, cannot or did not occur, was a figment of an individual's imagination, or should be relegated to myth, legend, tall-tales, and superstition. Only romantics, heathens, primitives, the superstitious, or the ignorant would believe in the existence of the supernatural."

In public, most "civilized/enlightened" people will tend to err on the side of skepticism over any talk about supernatura; however, in private many believe the supernatural possible.

Last edited:

HandofMystra

First Post
Ti'at I need some interpretation in how the Holy Warrior Edge works in Deadlands.
Relique - when you say behind the Orange Curtain do you mean Orange County CA? That is where I grew up

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
So this divergent from teh Weird West. I assume that things are mechanically the same. Are there fear levels like in Deadlands?
Yes, it's divergent from Deadland's Weird West, and mechanics of the game are the same.

In terms of the "Weird Western slider" scale, the game is more on the pulp fantasy side then it is on the supernatural horror side. For this reason I don't plan on using the Fear Levels on a regional level (Assume a Universal 1 or 2). Areas with high Fear levels do exist, but they are localized and influenced by certain events (the group *Will* experience at least one location with a high fear level.)

Ti'at I need some interpretation in how the Holy Warrior Edge works in Deadlands.

From the looks of it it would work normally because Ti'at is a shaman. So it "kills/destroys" evil supernatural creatures. I will assume that a 1 result against a person will not kill them. I will "purge" them of evil influence and put them into a coma. I will also allow it to rebuke "Black Magic" backgrounds like Blessed with the power are able to due are able to do.

FYI, it will be very handy.

Deadlands said:
Shamans still begin with two powers, but they get 15 Power Points instead of the usual 10 and are able to recharge them faster than other arcane types. As long as the shaman is in the wilds, sleeps under the stars, is warmed by an open fire, or otherwise away from “civilization,” he regains Power Points at twice his usual rate (subject to the limitations imposed by his “sins,” of course).

That said, all you have to do is select your powers and your character will be finished. :)

Relique - when you say behind the Orange Curtain do you mean Orange County CA? That is where I grew up

Yup. Huntington Beach to be exact.

Last edited:

HandofMystra

First Post
oops. I read the shaman description (two powers and PP) and then I read the Blessed description (pray for miracles) whihc is clearly superseded by the shaman description. I need to rethink my build ( I was assume roll faith tests for miracles)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I think I like the changes I did to John Forster's speech.. :D (it sucks sending when you have to leave and then having your phone reboot mid post).

I'm pretty sure Ti'at can see the irony of his vision and what was announced. Surely, this can't be connected.. ;)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
A random fact I just discovered.

The Mexican dollar and the Spanish dollar was legal tender in the United States up until 1857. For much of the 1800s $1 American = $1 Mexican (un peso)= 8 Spanish real (un peso duro/ "Piece of 8").

This of course answers why Deadlands uses "$1 of local currency"

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Alright... rather then go through the annoyance of putting a some points onto a Google earth map and say "Imagine that the LA metropolis isn't there..." due to the annoying fact that the best maps of 1800s Californian rancheros are either under lock and key or are hard to find. I'm going to put together a map in illustrator based on a 1890s map of the area. :D

Only thing that sucks is that it won't really have an accurate depiction of the various ranchos locations or the haciendas and rancherias (due to the fact that many of them were lost to history, and because of the hand drawn nature of the map I'm creating) .

[MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION]
You can change the bolt power to blast.

Remove ads