Scales of War #1 Rescue at Rivenroar (Full)

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Right then,

A brief introduction, I've been 30+ years playing D&D in various guises, that doesn't mean to say I'm any good at it- I do not have an encyclopaedic knowledge of 4e, I have a DDi subscription and am prepared to look things up.

My point I am bound to make a mistake or two on the way, gently nudge me in the right direction if I do.

And it needs to be said I have never DM'ed a Shaman or a Psion, so new territory.

Next

I work as a lecturer in higher eductaion, I teach degrees, at present I am finishing my marking and handing back of work, at which point- well, I'll have less to do.

I can generally answer queries and post at work, what I can't do is run combat and maps via maptools- well not as of yet; sometimes you'll have to wait for me to get home and get fed before I do my updates. However every day I am available I will post updates as needed, although probably not much on Thursday- I GM a Maptools game on a Thursday evening and spend a few hours in prep before and after, this more or less rules me out for the evening.

Also

I'd like the game to go swiftly, if possible, if you're going to be away then tell me and we'll come up with a solution- I can bot your PC or another player or... we'll come up with a solution. If I don't hear from you for 24-48 hours, and you're expected or needed then I will begin messaging you, depending on the situation I may even bot your PC- if it's preventing lots of people getting on. I hope that is fair, I promise not to kill your guy- unless the dice say different.

Also, please try to couch your actions in combat something like this-

Move
Minor
Standard
Free

With as much explanation as necessary.

If you're moving then tell me what square too, I will presume you will take the route of least OA, unless you state differently.

In combat is also good to have your character sheet sblocked somewhere, just so I can see if need be, obviously it's your job to keep it up to date with the action- I'll help you along with an sblocked combat blog, you'll see.

Lastly- House Rules

1. You can use multiple Action Points in an Encounter, if you have them, but only one/turn.

2. Stunts, you can try something not covered in the book by use of a stunt, a stunt is generally using a Skill Check (as a Minor Action perhaps) to augment a power or an action.

Example- Character A wants to charge/attack Character B. B is on the other side of the room and down a floor (ie on a lower level).

Character A decides to leap to a chandelier, swing furiously and launch himself in a Charge style attack attempting to cover the extra distance and perhaps augment his charge by just landing on B.

Character therefore states-

I leap on to the chandelier (Movement phase with Athletics check)
Swing furiously on said chandelier (Minor with Acrobatics check)
And land on B with my sword drawn (Standard Charge attack with maybe another Skill Check thrown in- examples- Acrobatics again to avoid damage get aim right, Athletics to get extra impetus, or whatever).

Sounds complex, it doesn't have to be-

Character A is standing on a table Character B is before him.

Character A decides to distract B by kicking a flagon/plate of food, or whatever at B (Movement phase with a Bluff or Stealth check, or some other).

The result of the first example, with reasonable rolls is Character A getting bonuses to hit and damage, and maybe taking a little damage himself.

With great rolls character A has all of the above and if he hits he knocks B prone, or dazes him or worse.

The result for the second example would most likely be a bonus to hit with decent rolls.

You may think this is a lot for a little, at times you'd be right- but if you know what skills you are good at then... well, I've seen it work. The Halfing rogue leaping from on top of a statue on to the head of a demon, on to the head of another demon and then again on to dry land- avoiding a lake of poisonous blood.

In a game we played two weeks ago a PC was fighting (in a ring) a guy with 5 times his HP and twice his level, he spent two rounds attempting WWF style attacks and rolled '20' four times in a row- result dead guy from 170 HP to around 40-50 in two rounds of play.

Last thing about stunts- you tell me what you're going to do, I don't want this to slow up the game so you say what moves your PC is making, what skill checks you're taking- and then roll them, there's no debate, I adjudicate the results depending on what you want to happen- you may have to clue me in.

All that said you may never use a stunt in-game at all, but try to remember there's always a way, and your heroes, and together we're trying to manufacture a narrative that later you will want to recount to others.

You can be heroic, or paragonic (and stray outside, or augment the rules), obviously if it's funny and coll then your chances of success may miraculously increase...

Right then, I'm going to stat up Gorken's PC, put him on the map and then in the next hour or so open up an IC thread.

Cheers Goonalan

Any questions?

IC Thread-

http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/306687-scales-war-1-rescue-rivenroar-ic.html

Last edited:

RavenBlackthorne

First Post
All sounds great! I'll try and keep on top of things Psion wise. It really isn't that different from normal by the looks of things: the power points really sub for encounter powers with a little extra resource management.

Only one question: dice rolls. Invisible Castle or here?

RavenBlackthorne

First Post
I've never used the in house dice roller so this is just a practice. Sorry for the intrusion, people

RB wondered if it was possible to edit his post after a roll (knowledge enworld: 1d20 + 3)

His brain locked up and he had no idea. Fortunately, simple trial and error solved his problem.

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
I've never used the in house dice roller so this is just a practice. Sorry for the intrusion, people

RB wondered if it was possible to edit his post after a roll (knowledge enworld: 1d20 + 3)

His brain locked up and he had no idea. Fortunately, simple trial and error solved his problem.

Yeah, I/we had the same issue Invisible Castle or here- the EN Dice Roller has proved to be excellent but I don't mind which you use as long as we can all see the results.

Cheers Goonalan

tiornys

Explorer
Goonalan, you might find this thread on the WotC D&D boards helpful. It's a pretty comprehensive look at spirit companions. Since I'm a hybrid shaman (without the appropriate feat), I don't have the ability to make OAs through my companion...yet.

t~

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Goonalan, you might find this thread on the WotC D&D boards helpful. It's a pretty comprehensive look at spirit companions. Since I'm a hybrid shaman (without the appropriate feat), I don't have the ability to make OAs through my companion...yet.

t~

Thank you, working my way through it- will probably refer to it in future, thanks again.

Cheers Goonalan

Thanee

First Post
[MENTION=16069]Goonalan[/MENTION] : I think it would do no harm, if you made all the initiative rolls together at the start of any combat. :)

Also, if it turns out, that going by strict turn-order doesn't work too well, maybe using group initiative (everyone rolls, take the average for each group, individual members of each group can go at their group's initiative in any order, i.e. just like they happen to post their actions). Groups being PCs & Monsters, usually.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads