• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Semi-new to 3.5e Need help in trip modifier and other stuff..

animewatcha

First Post
copy and paste from other boards for more answers..

"Basically, I'm semi-new to DnD in general. Played a few games to get the hang of things and learn about new things with each game. We uses a home-brewed method of doing stats so MAD isn't as much of a problem depending upon luck. I got a bunch of books and need help with a few mechanics.

From OA, if you qualify for more than one school of martial arts via the right feats, do you benefit from all schools at once ( provided pre-reqs are met, etc. )

If so, then what is happening with modifiers and such in the following character build cause I'm a bit lost in numbers/mechanics a bit. I don't want suggestions on builds/optimization/etc. Just to know what all the numbers are for tripping, disarming, etc.

Half-minotaur template for human monk. 7th ECL. 6 class levels of monk.
Broken fist style from 309. taking karmic strike at 9th level of monk, but anyways.

"BROKEN FIST MASTERY I
You have mastered the initial secrets of the Broken Fist
martial arts style-a hard/soft form emphasizing movement,
knockdowns, and fast strikes. At this level of mastery, you
become adept at knocking opponents off their feet.
Prerequisites: Str 13, Dirty Fighting, Improved Initiative,
Improved Trip, Improved Unarmed Strike.
Benefit: You are treated as one size category larger than
you actually are for the purpose of trip attempts."

Temerad style from dragon, 309
"
TEMERAD MASTERY I
You have mastered the initial secrets of the Temerad
martial arts style-a soft form emphasizing movement and
defense. At this level of mastery, you learn to move like the
wind.
Prerequisites: Dex 15, Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike,
Mobility, Spring Attack.
Benefit: The dodge bonus you gain from the Dodge feat
rises to +2. You can choose to apply the entire bonus against a
single attacker or split it between two designated attackers,
gaining a +1 dodge bonus against each."

Using Cobra strike style.

1st combat reflexes
H- combat expertise
f1 - improved init
f2- improved trip
M1- dodge
M2 - mobility
3rd - dirty fighting
M3 / 6th - Spring attack / defensive throw
9th - karmic strike

Basically, if you hit or miss me, trip/attack of opportunity.

Main thing is, can one benefit from multiple martial school benefits at once and what are the stats/modifiers after the size category change from medium to large. That and can do I get + 2 to dodge for 2 opponents /or +4 versus just one ?

Please assume that my opponent is a medium human.

Also for to help simplify. Base stats are all 10 BEFORE modifiers/changes/etc and that i can benefit from all the feats."

emoplato

First Post
copy and paste from other boards for more answers..

"Basically, I'm semi-new to DnD in general. Played a few games to get the hang of things and learn about new things with each game. We uses a home-brewed method of doing stats so MAD isn't as much of a problem depending upon luck. I got a bunch of books and need help with a few mechanics.

From OA, if you qualify for more than one school of martial arts via the right feats, do you benefit from all schools at once ( provided pre-reqs are met, etc. )

If so, then what is happening with modifiers and such in the following character build cause I'm a bit lost in numbers/mechanics a bit. I don't want suggestions on builds/optimization/etc. Just to know what all the numbers are for tripping, disarming, etc.

Half-minotaur template for human monk. 7th ECL. 6 class levels of monk.
Broken fist style from 309. taking karmic strike at 9th level of monk, but anyways.

"BROKEN FIST MASTERY I
You have mastered the initial secrets of the Broken Fist
martial arts style-a hard/soft form emphasizing movement,
knockdowns, and fast strikes. At this level of mastery, you
become adept at knocking opponents off their feet.
Prerequisites: Str 13, Dirty Fighting, Improved Initiative,
Improved Trip, Improved Unarmed Strike.
Benefit: You are treated as one size category larger than
you actually are for the purpose of trip attempts."

Temerad style from dragon, 309
"
TEMERAD MASTERY I
You have mastered the initial secrets of the Temerad
martial arts style-a soft form emphasizing movement and
defense. At this level of mastery, you learn to move like the
wind.
Prerequisites: Dex 15, Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike,
Mobility, Spring Attack.
Benefit: The dodge bonus you gain from the Dodge feat
rises to +2. You can choose to apply the entire bonus against a
single attacker or split it between two designated attackers,
gaining a +1 dodge bonus against each."

Using Cobra strike style.

1st combat reflexes
H- combat expertise
f1 - improved init
f2- improved trip
M1- dodge
M2 - mobility
3rd - dirty fighting
M3 / 6th - Spring attack / defensive throw
9th - karmic strike

Basically, if you hit or miss me, trip/attack of opportunity.

Main thing is, can one benefit from multiple martial school benefits at once and what are the stats/modifiers after the size category change from medium to large. That and can do I get + 2 to dodge for 2 opponents /or +4 versus just one ?

Please assume that my opponent is a medium human.

Also for to help simplify. Base stats are all 10 BEFORE modifiers/changes/etc and that i can benefit from all the feats."
The only time when things don't stack when not explicitly said are if they provide same category of bonus(enhancement, competence, insight,..etc), so yes if you have all the requirements than you get all the benefits.
As for size modifiers they go up by +4 each category. If you are regular medium character you get another +4 on top of improved trip. You also can trip huge opponents.
I don't know where you are getting the +4 dodge bonus you get a +2, no more. It only can be split once.

Issue being interactiveness between cobra fighting style

Variant Character Classes :: d20srd.org

and the feat-based styling of the temerad.

That and what are the stat changes that happen when I go from medium size category to large via the half-minotaur thing.
There is nothing preventing the combination of the different styles. If it's not explicitly stated you can't, quite often you can.

As for what happens with the size increase, Improving Monsters :: d20srd.org has the differences.

Going from medium to large, you'd get: +8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, +2 natural armor, -1 on total AC, and -1 on all attack rolls.

Remove ads