[Serenity RPG] Across the 'Verse: Old Friends

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Castor hear Balino turn away from him, and this Wildstar (whose voice he has heard more than once over the past week) start speaking agai. Castor lets him make his pitch. He thanks Balino with a "Thank you, sir" but continues on to look for Mason.

Thanee

First Post
Tatjana

Tatjana shakes the hand of Mrs. Balini, smiling friendly.

“I'm pleased to meet you. I'm Nadja, the cousin of the pilot of Cpt. Wildstar. So, basically just tagging along, as things are.”

Now Tatjana has to chuckle, too.

“And I suppose, I'm not only unknown to you, but to the merchant families here as well. So, not a welcome match for their sons, it seems. Good, that I'm not here for that. No, this is, as you will know as well as I do, also a great occasion for business, and that's, of course, the reason, why we are here. If you take a look over to your husband, you will see Cpt. Wildstar already talking to him.”

ethandrew

First Post
Lucius's eyes follow the path of Castor and this Wildstar fellow all the way toward the big boss in the room. He stayed in his corner, content to be a shadow, oblivious to the Blue Suns if he can. Finally, though, he makes his way along the wall toward Melody Josephs. It's clear she's the white elephant in this room, and despite knowing this could cause him to stand out to other partygoers. He pulls up next to her and casually states without blatantly engaging her, "Rough crowd in here tonight, but lively happenings."

Maerdwyn

First Post
Derek pauses a moment and smiles before continuing. "Well... I guess you can say I'm in the shipping business. I normally captain a ship. But said ship was 'acquired' by another individual. I have been following after it and have finally found it here at Second Life Ships and Scrap. I am currently working on trying to 'acquire' it back."

Balino smiles expansively. "I know how it is when something - in your case a ship, in mine, our fair moon - gets a hold on you. But it's good to hear you will soon be be back on the bridge. If Lou has her down at Second Life, he'll give you a fair deal. He's a good man, and he's been a big part of our success here on Liann Xin." He drops his voice an insignificant amount and say conspiratorially, "He'll usually gives a cash discount, too. Just don't tell him I told you so."

Maerdwyn

First Post
Castor moves past Balino and Wildstar, hearing the gist of the conversation. He heads in the direction he thinks Mason is based on the direction the Blue Suns' had been facing when talking about him. He triangulates a bit, and soon hears in a nervous voice, "-don't think we're a good fit right now, Mr. Mason, but, uh, keep us in mind for the future. Really enjoyed meeting you." When the response comes, Castor has the voice - forties, baritone, dedicated smoker: "Same here, Friend - mighty pleased to meet you." The last is a lie, or at least an exaggeration, Castor is certain.

A few seconds later Mason calls over to Castor, "Well, Friend, I seen you circlin', but you don't look like no buzzard, so you might's well come on over. That's if you kin fight yer way through the crowds of my admirers."

Maerdwyn

First Post
Tatjana shakes the hand of Mrs. Balini, smiling friendly.

“I'm pleased to meet you. I'm Nadja, the cousin of the pilot of Cpt. Wildstar. So, basically just tagging along, as things are.”

Now Tatjana has to chuckle, too.

“And I suppose, I'm not only unknown to you, but to the merchant families here as well. So, not a welcome match for their sons, it seems. Good, that I'm not here for that. No, this is, as you will know as well as I do, also a great occasion for business, and that's, of course, the reason, why we are here. If you take a look over to your husband, you will see Cpt. Wildstar already talking to him.”

Mrs. Balino's smile turns more genuine. "My dear Nadiya," her lilting pronunciation adding a vowel where there was none, "if you stick to business tonight, you will save me a thousand tiresome conversations with the defensive mothers of plainfaced girls."

"Now, what is this business that has brought you and your Captain Wildstar, uninvited, but not unwelcome, to my husband's celebration tonight?"

Maerdwyn

First Post
Lucius's eyes follow the path of Castor and this Wildstar fellow all the way toward the big boss in the room. He stayed in his corner, content to be a shadow, oblivious to the Blue Suns if he can. Finally, though, he makes his way along the wall toward Melody Josephs. It's clear she's the white elephant in this room, and despite knowing this could cause him to stand out to other partygoers. He pulls up next to her and casually states without blatantly engaging her, "Rough crowd in here tonight, but lively happenings."

The woman, her cheeks set tightly as she looks out over the ballroom, glances at Lucius and then back to the far wall where an old-style stillshow depicts scenes from the early days of Liann Xin's colonization, Mr. Balino figuring prominently in most of the pictures. "All hail the Glorious Leader," she says, bitterness evident.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Mason calls over to Castor, "Well, Friend, I seen you circlin', but you don't look like no buzzard, so you might's well come on over. That's if you kin fight yer way through the crowds of my admirers."

Castor smiles, and steps forward, trusting the crowd to part for him. "My name's Castor McMenomy, sir, and I thought I'd introduce myself." Castor pulls his hands into a sampeh, and performs a little bow, a trick he has learned to avoid the awkwardness of not quite knowing where to offer a hand to shake. "Enough people on the other side of the room seem intent not to meet you, that I thought I should come round and take a look. As it were." He smiles out of one corner of his mouth.

Castor will happily speak to Mason for as long as he can, though he tends to doubt himself on things like this, and is likely to excuse himself if a silence is perceived to have gone on too long. Still, any opportunity to discuss travel offworld will pique his interest, and he will try to push that -- does Mason travel himself, have need for a crew, "why yes, I actually am a mechanic myself", there's plenty of travellers who seem to have ended up beached here, yessirree.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Castor smiles, and steps forward, trusting the crowd to part for him. "My name's Castor McMenomy, sir, and I thought I'd introduce myself." Castor pulls his hands into a sampeh, and performs a little bow, a trick he has learned to avoid the awkwardness of not quite knowing where to offer a hand to shake. "Enough people on the other side of the room seem intent not to meet you, that I thought I should come round and take a look. As it were." He smiles out of one corner of his mouth.

"Ehh, the 'Suns is probly jus jealous of my gorgeous count'nance. Hard to compete for the ladies' 'tenshun with the likes of you an me 'round. What was they sayin' 'bout me, anyway?"

Castor will happily speak to Mason for as long as he can, though he tends to doubt himself on things like this, and is likely to excuse himself if a silence is perceived to have gone on too long. Still, any opportunity to discuss travel offworld will pique his interest, and he will try to push that.

Mason seems happy for the conversation, which goes on easily for a few minutes. When the conversation turns to the way they spend thier respective days, Mason says, "Mechanic 'eh? Yer heart's off on the Black somewhere, then, is it, Castor? Mine? Nah, I heart's with the land - I know its smell, its feel. Sometimes I can get it to talk to me - tell me where the bodies are buried. (Sorry. I just winked mysterously there, Castor). Heh, there weren't some much damn Black between me and all that land out there, I'd never board another ship. As it is, I gotta know my way around. And gettin around, I mighta gotten to know some flyers willin' to help out others who work the land spread their bounty around the 'Verse. An', maybe, everyone involved makes few credits."

"So, and this is assumin' yer the decent fella y'seem t'be, y'got a ship, Castor?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Castor decides quickly that he likes Mason, and happily makes up a story about how the Blue Sun is anxious at his confidence showing up at a party like this. It's meant lightheartedly, and he trusts that that shows. But as talk turns to ships, he turns more serious: he runs his thick fingers over his scalp (tracing the line of one of the longer scars on his head as he does so) while the man speaks, and then Castor responds.

"Well sir, no. There's a number of us among you grounders right now. Space on a crew is a hard thing to find. But even harder is the run of a ship itself. I'll bet there's half a dozen in the hotel tonight who have ships in mind. You'll forgive me for thinking you might be one of those lucky ones.

"But you're right -- it's out there I long to be. It's just a matter of catchin' the opportunities as they fly by."

It would be nice, he thinks, if something serendipidous happens at just this moment, but Castor doesn't expect it, but he does hold his breath for a second. Following a brief silence, he'll repeat his little sampeh bow and excuse himself, saying "I hope you enjoy the evening."

And as he says that, he has a different idea for the song he'll sing first when it's his set.

Remove ads