• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Serenity RPG] Across the 'Verse: Old Friends

G

Guest 11456

Derek Wildstar

"Fancy, huh? D’un yi shia! Don't have an eye for that. A bit short on the creds too. But lead on and if we can get her back duhn ruhn you da pilot."

Maerdwyn

First Post
Castor and Lucius head into the ballroom, which is bustling with activity. A small orchestra is practicing, while event staff continue hanging decorations. Lucius sees Malanie speaking with an enormous middle aged man in a business suit. She sees Castor, and smiles, waving to Lucius to bring him over to her.

ethandrew

First Post
"It's busy in here," Lucius states for Castor, "but I see your Malanie girl over this way." He begins walking slowly while he talks, to make it easier for Castor to follow.

"They've got an orchestra off to the side for now, and there's lots of staff here finishing up fancying this place up," he smiles at Malanie as they both walk over.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Castor and Lucius

As Lucious and Castor approach them, the big man breaks into a broad grin, and takes Castor's hand, shaking it more than firmly before dropping it. When he speaks, his voice is booming and deep. His tone is friendly, and his accent is affected with the precision of Londinian society, of which he is clearly not a member.

"Ah! Mr. McMenomy, I was so very pleased when our Melanie gave me the news that you will do us the honor of performing at our celebration this evening. I suppose it is not the type of venue at which you normally perform, but my wife is tremendous admirer of your work. If we must only break decorum in some small way to provide her a special gift like that of your voice, I think we should do so, don't you?" Meliani starts to respond, but he quickly continues, "Melanie, you have seen to Mr. McMenomy's accommodations, have you not?" She agains starts to respond, but he assumes the answer, "Good, good, good. Now, Mr. McMenomy, if there is anything else you need, just speak to her, and she will find a way to get it done."

His attention now focused on the orchestra, he looks about to walk away.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Castor likes people who speak clearly and to the point, and as a result he is very impressed with this greeting.

"Well, Thank you, sir. The pleasure is all mine, and I am happy to be able to contribute to your wife's enjoyment of the evening. You've done such wonderful things for Concord and Liann Xin. Melanie has been very helpful so far... I won't keep you longer, but I wish you a delightful celebration."

"Lucius?" He turns back to the big man after he says this, "(as I'm sure you understand, I need all sorts of help getting around here, and my muffled friend here has been giving me a hand)" -- then, back to Lucius, "Lucius, can you lead me to Melanie? Mr Balino has things to do, I'm sure."

Maerdwyn

First Post
Mr. Balino give a quick nod to the two of them, a permanent, if not particularly personal, smile on his face as he says, "Mahalo, gentlemen." He walks away toward the orchestra conductor.

Melanie watches him go for a moment, before turning back to the men. She looks as if she is trying not to look harried. "Welcome to the Kala Ballroom, gentlemen. Mr. McMenomy, I have found a room for you;I'm sorry for the confusion earlier." (There is a hint of annoyance there, apparently not directed at either Castor or Lucius). "Will you need a separate room as well, Mr....?"

[sblock=OOC: clothes, etc.] Those looking to obtain appropriate attire for the ball can obtain it:
Cheap Rental, with all that implies: 5cr
Cheap suit or plain dress: 10 cr
Moderate suit or dress: 20 cr
Nice suit or dress: 20 cr
Quality suit or dress: 40 cr
Designer attire: 100cr+
[/sblock]

ethandrew

First Post
"Oh no, I'm fine, really," Lucius answers, attempting to pass over the question of his last name. Perhaps it would behoove him to keep his identity close to the chest for now, hard to do with his giant scar, but such is life out in the outer worlds.

"If you wouldn't mind," he asks Melanie politely, "Could you point me in the direction of Mr. McMenomy's room so he can get prepared?"

Maerdwyn

First Post
Melanie looks a little relieved. "Certainly - Mr. McMenomy, you will be in room 312, in the south tower. The room will be ready within the half hour. Until then, it would be my pleasure to show you the space where you will perform, introduce you to the soundman, Benjamin. The orchestra will be rehearsing for the next hour or so, but you may have whatever time you need after that."

"I also wanted to run down the schedule for the evening." As the starts to do this, her, speech speeds up, and her nerves become more apparent. "The doors open at 7:00, and our arriving guests will enjoy Acrobats from a Sihnon troupe while the orchestra will be playing in the background and our staff serves drinks and hors d'oeuvres. At 8:00, the formal dances will begin, and will continue as long as practical -- Mr. Balino done a wonderful job bringing culture to Liann Xin, but that don't always hold off world..." She corrects herself and restarts using better enunciatiation and formal sentence construction. "Mr. Balino is aware that while he holds all his guests in high estee, there is a mix of tastes among them, as they come from all parts of the 'Verse. He is trying to provide an enjoyable experience for all of them. I believe that is why he asked me to contact you about peforming."

When the time is right, I will signal the conductor to introduce you, Mr. McMenomy, and you will perform. Try to keep the guests happy and entertained - if you can think of something for Mr. and Mrs. Balino to dance to in front of Mr. Balino's guests, so much the better: something slow, mind you, given Mr. Balino's physique. Some time after midnight, Mr. Balino wil approach the microphone and bid his guests goodnight, and you will be free for the rest of the evening."

"Will that all work you, Mr. McMenomy? Will you need the services of any of the musicians for your performance, or anything else? Do you need more information about Mr. Balino or his guests to design your set? I will do my best to get you anything you need to make this evening go smoothly."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"That's great, Melanie. i do appreciate your hospitality. The schedule you describe sounds fine by me, and gives me a chance to enjoy the party. I'll do my best to find an appropriate song for the Balinos to dance to. A sound check will be needed, and I can talk to the orchestra leader.

Why don't you take me to meet Benjamin?" he asks, offering his arm to her.

Castor falls into his old routines easily. The sound check shouldn't take long, but he wants a chair on stage with him. If he speaks to the orchestra leader, he will suggest being ready with three songs, "Lonesome Navigator" and "Ni Men Jie Hun Dio Jiu Le?"* (both slow McMenomy classics), and the old standard, "Orbits" (with its unforgettable sing-along chorus, "When everything revolves around you, | I'm kept at a distance making true | Orbits") -- and, since it's always good to have a spare handy, perhaps "Kaulana Kawaihae" would be an appropriate given the venue.

* ("How Long have you been married?")

Maerdwyn

First Post
When they begin arriving at the ball, the guests enter to see a simulated moonlit sky overhead while tiki torches along the walls provide pleasing, if minimal light. A warm breeze drifts through the room, as a small orchestra plays unobtrusively in the background. The scene suggests a twilight soiree by the beach.

As the guests arrive, each is announced, and Mr. Balino greets them with a smile.*

When about two dozen guests have arrived, a burst of fire erupts in the far end of the hall around a statue of a stylized dragon, and the orchestra stops playing suddenly - only to begin again playing a fast Chinese melody as the fire fades. An acrobatic troupe fairly flies out from behind the dragon and begins to perform to the small crowd's delight.

[Sblock=OOC]
*Lucius, familiar, at least by news vid, with most of the bigwigs on Liann Xin, recognizes most of the guests so far as local merchants - wealthy perhaps, but not well enough moneyed to have bought their way into the loftiest of social circles.

Castor doesn't know any of the names mentioned, so far, which, if he has read Balino's goals for the evening correctly, must be slightly disappointing for the big man.

We will assume, the other characters found a means to be admitted to the ball, if they so desired, and their players can either reference how they did so, or can just leave it unspecified. If they attend, describe their attire and give the name they will give the hotel when they are announced (or, not, if you choose to sneak in).

[/sblock]

Remove ads