You use shields not just for protection but also for
offense. You gain the following benefits while you are
wielding a shield:
If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use
a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet
of you with your shield.

• If you aren’t incapacitated, you can add your shield’s AC
bonus to any Dexterity saving throw you make against
a spell or other harmful effect that targets only you.
• If you are subjected to an effect that allows you to
make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half dam -
age, you can use your reaction to take no damage if
you succeed on the saving throw, interposing your
shield between yourself and the source of the effect.

With this feat do you have to attack first? Can you declare the attack action, then use the bonus to shove and then attack?

If so, you can then knock someone prone and attack with advantage.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'd say you need to attack before you can use your bonus action to shove -- "if you take an attack acti action, you can shove....

Otherwise, you can attempt to shove, fail, and then conceivably choose not to attack at all (or to do another action altogether). Attack-then-shove creates the smoothest flow every time.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I'd say you can take the bonus action before or after attacking, as long as you take the Attack action. Likewise, i think a fighter can use Commander Strike before making one of his attack when he take the Attack action.

Certainly more fun this way!

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I'd say you need to attack before you can use your bonus action to shove -- "if you take an attack acti action, you can shove....

Otherwise, you can attempt to shove, fail, and then conceivably choose not to attack at all (or to do another action altogether). Attack-then-shove creates the smoothest flow every time.

Yes, I would say the english here is clear enough.

If you fall into a pit, you can use a bonus action to tumble when you hit and take one dice less of damage.

If you do x, you can do y seems pretty clear.

Stalker0

Legend
Based on my reading it does appear that the bash has to come after the attack. Is there any language on bonus actions that would dispute that?

It seems that they are emulating the old 4e Tide of Iron ability....which also required an attack before the effect.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Based on my reading it does appear that the bash has to come after the attack. Is there any language on bonus actions that would dispute that?
There could be this-suggesting that you Shove when you take the Attack action-depending how you interpret the wording though i'm not sure if it fit as a specified timing;

PHB189 Bonus Actions: You choose when to take a bonus action during your turn, unless the bonus action’s timing is specified

Last edited:

Juriel

First Post
If the feat meant 'after you have attacked this turn', it would say so. Instead, it says 'when you take the Attack action'. Attack action is what leads into attacks, but these are separate things, as you can have multiple attacks per turn, the Attack Action just encompasses all of those.

Given you can use bonus actions whenever, I feel confident saying you can declare that you'll be spending your action for this turn on the Attack action, then bonus action the target to the ground, and then move into your actual attacks.

Pickles JG

First Post
If the feat meant 'after you have attacked this turn', it would say so. Instead, it says 'when you take the Attack action'. Attack action is what leads into attacks, but these are separate things, as you can have multiple attacks per turn, the Attack Action just encompasses all of those.

Given you can use bonus actions whenever, I feel confident saying you can declare that you'll be spending your action for this turn on the Attack action, then bonus action the target to the ground, and then move into your actual attacks.

This is certainly the way I am inclined to play it though I do not think it's clear (that's why we have rulings?)

What about taking bonus actions between attacks. eg at level 5 I polish of a kobbold with attack 1, move to engage an ogre; can I shove it before I take my second attack?

Are attack actions atomic with regards to bonus actions as they are not with regard to movement?

Last edited:

This seems correct. No idea why people think Bonus Actions have to taken before/after the Attack Action. This isn't 3/4E - Bonus Action isn't a discrete action-unit like Minor Action or Move Action, it's more akin to a Free Action, only you can only have 1/turn.

fjw70

Adventurer
As written I would say you have you actually have to attack first before using the bonus action since you haven't taken the attack action until you actually attack. I don't think declaring actions is a thing in the rules. But after your first attack I don't see an issue with using the bonus action between attacks unless I am missing a rule that says you can't use a bonus action until you complete your action.

That said, As a DM I would probably allow the bonus action to go first.

Remove ads