Single-race fantasy adventure parties?

RFisher

Explorer
Driddle said:
Humans don't count

Hah! As if that ever happens. Seems I'm usually the only human in the party.

I played with a guy once who would nigh refuse to play a game if human was the only option for PCs.

I've never been in a all-one-race or all-one-class party, but I've often thought it could be lots of fun in the right circumstances.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Hey, I'm actually in an all-Human party atm! In our group, it's essentially super rare, especially with one person who tries to be the weirdest thing ever and another who picks races based on what their stat bonuses are.

Ambrus

Explorer
Nyaricus said:
Why, why does that make me want to run a game with those characters. Oh damn, that would totally blow the socks off my players.
And you could have a wight be the BBEG! :p

I also played in an all-dwarf campaign once. It was great! Our battle chant was "DWAAAAARVES!!!" All the characters were lawful good and all variations of tank characters. One was the party cleric/confessor, one was a career soldier, one was the battle-field engineer, one was the tacitician/leader, etc... Everyone knew their place, cooperated with each other and each had his own specialty; which everyone else defered to automatically without complaint when an issue fell under their purview. We were the most well-organized and harmonious PC group I've ever seen. We were all also super-pragmatic and industrious. If there was a wall to be scaled, we didn't just throw up a rope, no, that wasn't the dwarven way! Our characters would all stop, break out our axes, chop down some trees and build a ladder, or staircase if we had the time. :D

One we were in a city and were supposed to be discreetly spying on some suspects so we built ourselves something aking to a duck blind in an alleyway and proceeded to stake out a tavern across the street; five dwarves in plate armor trying to hide. It was hilarious! After the people we'd been watching came out to investigate the odd group of dwarves we beat them down from behind the palisade we'd erected and wondered out loud how'd they'd managed to find us out. :lol:

We'd all get into a great huff if an NPC suggested acting dishonorably or underhanded or even said the word "poison". The campaign was great because the players were all on the same page and just instinctively knew how to do things "the dwarven way". :cool:

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
We did a one-shot where we were all halflings and gnomes (technically two races, but not really....) investigating a cave of Kuo-Toa. It was a blast, and not just because we had NO idea we were fighting Kuo-Toa.

My Halfling Druid was awesome. The gnomish bard (With a whip!) showed the group that bards don't HAVE to suck. We had a halfling sorcerer who was amazing. And then there was the poor gnomish hexblade...

I've always wanted to be in an all-dwarf group. I've got a dwarven ranger/rogue that I've wanted to play for years. Maybe one of these days.

In 2e, we did the "all-elf" group, but it wasn't out of Player choice. The GM actually said "okay, it's an elf-only campaign", so we all had to make elves. And, for some reason, in 2e we were pretty anti-multiclassing. I can't remember what I wound up playing; probably an elven ranger or rogue. The game didn't last very long.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Played in a one-shot where the party were all dwarves, middle-aged ones at that. The first hour of the adventure was us complaining about how our armor didn't fit anymore and how our followers weren't up to the task. :)

I've also played in a GenCon one-shot with us playing halfling musketeer wannabes. That was fun too.

jollyninja

First Post
all dwarven campaign, battlerager in a giant city

"you know, one of us could bathe in a bowl of that size"

now picture five dwarves stripping out of their platemail after upending the mugs of ale they had been served as a joke into bowls. needless to say it was a fun campaign. the high point for me was when we were fighting a skeletal warrior, the 2e veriety, and all the characters but mine had magic weapons. we were using the old school weapon knockdown rules and i asked the dm after hitting it twice and having no effect, "what's the knockdown dice on a dwarf in platemail who flings himself at an opponent?"

turns out it's a d10. I kept knocking him down and the rest of them hacked it to pieces.

Eltharon

Explorer
The only single race game was human that I've played, but I've played in a single classed party. All rogues, baby. That was alot of fun.

Drowbane

First Post
2e

All Elves once or twice... but that would be like all humans now (unless of course, you mean all Elves of teh same subrace!).

In Darksun we had an all Kreen party.

3e

In six years, it just hasn't happened in any of the groups I have been in. It is more likely that everybody in the party is of a different race entirely.

I would like to see a party of Warforged at some point though. :D

Thurbane

First Post
Eltharon said:
The only single race game was human that I've played, but I've played in a single classed party. All rogues, baby. That was alot of fun.
We once took a run at an one shot adventure with a party composed entirely of Wizards. From memory it was in an issue of Dungeon, and the author claimed to have been inspired by the original Tomb of Horrors. Let's just say that while it seemed we were "pwning" at first, we all ended up getting slaughtered by a Golem. :p

Remove ads