• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Smart's Shackled City

Smart

First Post
Still waiting on Rylic. I'd like to update tonight if possible. I like how fast the pace has been the last couple of days. Hopefully we can keep it up!

Smart

First Post
As the creature sailed back and over the worktable, Gilthanus drew an arrow to his bow, sighted, and loosed. The arrow struck the creature full in the chest. Adaliz leapt up on the table and swung, but her opponent managed to duck the gleaming sword. As Rylic moved back to cover the exit, Tancred stepped on to the table and drove his sword through the creature. With an audible gasp, it dropped its rapier and slid to the ground.

"HA!" Laughs a voice from the curtain behind you. You turn around to see Keygan Ghelve, his face a triumphant grin, his ankles bound to stilts that made him seem taller behind the counter. His face suddenly falls: "No. Oh, no... now I may never see Starbrow again... they have him, you see. Oh..."

Please continue!

Smart

First Post
Keygan looks at the party anxiously. "Starbrow is my companion... a rat, a familiar. I'm a dabbler in the arts arcane, you see. Starbrow is within a mile of here - somewhere in deep darkness, and is being held in order to force me to cooperate."

Keygan turns to Rylic. "And the answer to that question is more complicated. In exchange for a copy of my three master keys and my cooperation, the tall ones," he indicates the strange figure you defeated,"and the short ones left me alone and kept Starbrow alive. They came up from Jzaridune, you see; no one remembers where the entrance is anymore; it's been many years since the plague, and I've got one of the only entrances left... wait.. I'm going too fast, aren't I? Oh drat it, I can't get it all out straight!"

Continue... ;)

crickp

First Post
Rylic

"That explains how the kidnappers were able to enter the orphange without leaving any signs, but it doesn't explain why they are kidnapping the townsfolk."

"Master Gnome, what can you tell us about these creatures and their allies? Do you know what their objective is? What is Jzaridune? What is the significance of that place?"

Smart

First Post
Keygan gets a bit red in the face. "That's what I'm tryin' to tell you! They're tall and short, and they speak a language I don't understand! The tall ones are usually naked, gray-skinned. They've got blue eyes and I've seen 'em use the skin to blend into their surroundings. The short ones are like gnomes, but more pallid, with big noses and black hooves for feet. They all like the dark cloaks and cowls."

"They come up from the deeps, somewhere, from Jzaridune. That's where my people used to live - 'till the plague claimed the gnome city, and all the gnomes left for the surface. I... knew they were taking people, but didn't know what for. I just felt so powerless. But you're here, and maybe I should tell you - no one remembers Jzaridune any more. And there is an entrance here, in my shop - but it is a very dangerous place... and is well guarded, my father told me. But they have Starbrow, and... though I'm no hero, it looks like some of you are, or want to be, at any rate."

C Nielsen

First Post
Tancred says "There is an entrance here in your shop, is there? Well, it appears that my traveling companions have their adventuring gear with them, as do I."

He looks at the other adventures expectantly, clearly ready and willing to descend.

Remove ads