• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Smart's Shackled City

Smart

First Post
Note to the heroes: I know it's ponderous, but I'll be pausing in each room unless told otherwise.. this landing would be the first "room." Basically I'm waiting to see if anyone wants to do anything in the room before continuing. I'll assume that unless combat happens, if I get no replies for more than the requisite 48 hours, I'll move you on... unless a decision is to be made (direction choice for example). Anyway, as no one has replied, I'll move you down the stairway on my next update.

Smart

First Post
Speaking of which...

The staircase descends another 20 feet before opening into a room. From this landing, you can hear strange sounds emanating from the chamber below, specifically chirping birds, rustling leaves, and cheery giggles. The landing itself is bare save for an empty iron torch sconce mounted on the south wall.

crickp

First Post
Rylic

Rylic walks cautiously down the stairs, his eyes trying to take in every detail Spot (1d20+4=12). Rylic will continue sown the stairs as soon as his friends are ready.

Not sure what standard marching order will be, but I would prefer to not be in the front for health reasons.

Smart

First Post
The party creeps down the stairs which end at a 40 foot square room with a 10 foot tall ceiling. As there seems to be no people or creatures in the room, the party steps through the doorway. A breeze blows into the room from a 10 foot wide open passage in the far (west) wall, directly across from the stairs.
Two 4 foot diameter circular doors are set into the middle of the south wall. Each is made of wood and framed by a ring of mortared stones. Of these two doors, the one on the west is closed and inscribed with a strange glyph or rune at its center. The door on the east bears a different glyph and is half-open, revealing an iron rim of gearlike teeth around the circular wood of the door. Dim light spills from the chamber beyond.
Mounted to the walls of the room are twelve tarnished copper masks. The masks are 2 feet tall and cling 4 feet above the floor, and are placed at intervals circling the room, wherever there is not a passage or a door. Each one depicts a smiling gnome's visage. The soft giggling, chirping, and rustling noises seem to pour from the very walls.

Don't forget to refer to your map occasionally. Let me know what each of the party is doing, and examine the room or make a decision on which path to take as you will.

Remove ads