So when does the new server get hooked up?

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
die_kluge said:
Why does it have a RAGE video card? I assume it's just as a cheap default? Someone's been playing Doom III on our server, haven't they? ;)

Maybe Doom II... :lol: Your not going to make Doom II requirements on that 8 MB hunk of junk... but that's okay its not designed for games.

Michael Morris

First Post
Heh hehe...

Anyway, you guys will know when the change is imminent. This server will be taken down about 5 hours to copy it's data, then turned back on with the warning that all posts made will be lost. Over the next few days beyond that point Thomas and I will be reconfiguring the database and upgrading the code.

Brother Shatterstone

Dark Moderator of PbP
Piratecat said:
We don't need a good video card! Heck, I'd throw a monochrome amber monitor on there if I could. :D

You know... I got one of them laying around here somewhere... ;) :lol:

Michael Morris[/quote said:
This server will be taken down about 5 hours to copy it's data, then turned back on with the warning that all posts made will be lost. Over the next few days beyond that point Thomas and I will be reconfiguring the database and upgrading the code.

This is the first I've heard of this... This time frame when posts are going to be lost is going to be a few days long? Ahhh we know that not every user reads meta, we also know that not every user reads the warnings so its it possible to lockout forums so no one can post in them? I'm sure that none of the PbP really wants to see missing gaps of posts in the middle of their games.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Yes, I'm with BS on this. We should close all the game forums. We could, perhaps, leave out of character discussions open, but even that is a bit dangerous.

Michael Morris

First Post
If you guys want those forums closed during that time, and if Russ has no problem with it, it will be done. We'll also be closing the reviews area to new reviews during this time.

Adlon

Mortality.net
Heya guys, remember one thing: this is a linux server. No need for anything great for video. We'll NOT be loading KDE, or any of the other window managers.

For linux console, all one needs is a 4 MB video card. This board happens to have an 8 meg card on board, which is more than fine.....

The box should be loaded with an OS and have a LIVE IP just before X-mas, and we can start moving stuff around just after the holiday.

Once the server is operational, with it's OS, I'll need a day to configure the mail server, web server, security, php and mySQL. Then, they web guys MAY want to update Apache, PHP, or mySQL, not too sure.......

Then, the data transfer begins.

EricNoah

Adventurer
We're all really looking forward to the results of your hard work, Adlon, Thomas Heretic, and Michael. Thank you for taking care of us. Here's to a frustration-free move!

Remove ads