Song of Ice and Fire may end up being 2,000,000 books

NewJeffCT

First Post
The worst people usually live the longest. I'm betting he will end up making it to about book 34 before he dies.

He doesn't seem like a bad guy? Sure, he doesn't write as quickly as he should, but I've never heard anything about him being arrested or beating his wife or abusing children or animals? Sure, the characters in his books are often miserable people...

NewJeffCT

First Post
Someone needs to fire Martin's editor and hire a new one; that'll solve the 8-book problem. AFFC and ADWD had a lot of unnecessary fluff. Or better yet, let's fire Martin and hire Brandon Sanderson to ghost write the rest of the series -- he can keep to a deadline at least. (I would say he can stay focused due to his three Wheel of Time books, but I'm in the middle of Words of Radiance right now and it has a fair bit of extraneous padding, so the jury is still out there.)

Agreed that his editor needs to be tougher on him. The Dorne & Iron Islands storylines could have been compacted, as could Sam's journey and Dany in Meereen. Jon's story at least had some memorable highlights to it in Dance, but was still overly long.

Dioltach

Legend
I find it easier not to think of the series as the story of certain characters, but as the story of a country/world. That way I don't get too hung up on new developments or places or people.

Remove ads