Spanish word for gold

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Klaus said:
"Oro" means gold.

"Dorado" means golden.

"El" before the word means "the", so "el oro" is "the gold", whereas "el dorado" means "the golden".
To add, since "dorado" is an adjective and "the golden" doesn't make much sense in English, I figured I'd comment on a quirk of Spanish:
The noun is sometimes left out.

For some reason. "El dorado" would translate to "the golden (thing)." It's just implied.

Though, Klaus probably knows more Spanish than I do. How would one say "gold piece" in Spanish?

Someone

Adventurer
That would be "pieza de oro", though "moneda de oro", translated back to gold coin would be closer to the meaning (since rarely is "pieza" used as sinonym for "moneda")

Another quirk of the spanish is that nouns always go with definite articles; in english "gold" means all gold ("gold is yellow") as opposed to a particular set of it ("the gold in my pocket is yellow"). In Spanish both woth with "el": "el oro es amarillo" ; "el oro en mi bolsillo es amarillo".

You must use "el" since "oro" is masculine. Probably it mates with silver ("plata"), which is feminine...

okay- oro

now if I recall to make something "cute" or "little" one adds ita or ito (female / male).

So oroita would be "cute" gold or little piece of gold?

Klaus

First Post
No, it's "orito" ("little gold", since oro is masculine) and "platita" ("little silver", since plata is feminine).

A gold piece would be "pieza de oro", but if it's a standard mode of currency, you could just say "oro" (singular) and "oros" (plural), as in "that costs you diez oros, gringo!" (ten golds).

Richards

Legend
By the way, the "ororo" which the original poster guessed at is (if I remember correctly from my X-Men comic books) Swahili for "beauty." It's Storm's first name; she was born in Kenya.

Not that that has any bearing on the discussion at hand, but consider it your trivia for the day. :)

Johnathan

Remove ads