Spelljammer Spelljammer setting Unlocks on the DMsGuild 8/16!

The taldorei pdf is beautiful.
A "beautiful" PDF is counterproductive. It's expensive to print, and like every other PDF, it looks bad on a screen.

D&D rules shouldn't be "beautiful", they should be clear. Formatting is a waste, what matters is the text, maps and art for use in game.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
All the PDFs that I have look great on the screen. Also, I don't have the need to print them, so that is not a factor for me.

But besides all that, we're still back to the point I made in a previous post. You don't like them? Don't buy them, don't read them, don't use them. No one is trying to convince you to do so. Why do you keep trying to convince us not to use them? It's honestly baffling...

darjr

I crit!
A "beautiful" PDF is counterproductive. It's expensive to print, and like every other PDF, it looks bad on a screen.

D&D rules shouldn't be "beautiful", they should be clear. Formatting is a waste, what matters is the text, maps and art for use in game.
It looks amazing on screen. I especially love the double tap behavior on my ipad and the swipe stuff. Plus I have a broad choice of annotation software.

What are you on about? Counterproductive? For what?

You don't like them? Don't buy them, don't read them, don't use them. No one is trying to convince you to do so. Why do you keep trying to convince us not to use them? It's honestly baffling
Designing a document for PDF and designing a document for a web format are two different jobs. It's not profitable for a commercial company to do both. Since we can only have one format, I choose Web format, which is much easier to make accessible to dyslexics like myself. Not to mention the colour blind and partially sighted.

dave2008

Legend
Designing a document for PDF and designing a document for a web format are two different jobs. It's not profitable for a commercial company to do both. Since we can only have one format, I choose Web format, which is much easier to make accessible to dyslexics like myself. Not to mention the colour blind and partially sighted.
I am dyslexic as well, but I fail to understand how a web format is better for me than a PDF. Do you care to explain?

To be clear:
  1. I like PDFs & web format content
  2. I prefer web format for when I am gaming or creating content
  3. I prefer PDF format for when I am just reading / viewing.

Yes, but they are already designing it for print and web. If you are designing for print, it is pretty trivial to make a PDF of it.
Not that trivial. As pointed out a "professionally produced" PDF looks better than an amateur one. This is because time, effort, skill and more expensive software has gone into preparing it.

dave2008

Legend
Not that trivial. As pointed out a "professionally produced" PDF looks better than an amateur one. This is because time, effort, skill and more expensive software has gone into preparing it.
IDK, I have done a fair bit of graphic layout for print and it has always been pretty easy to make a PDF with Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. Now, the bookmarking used to take some time, but it seems the newer versions of software have even streamlined that process.

Professionally, I am an architect and we make everything print to PDF now (and have for some time). So there is actually no extra steps for us. If we are printing a set of drawings, we send the PDF to the printer. We don't make plot files anymore, just PDFs.

That being said, I am more interested about your dyslexia comment. As both my daughter and I are dyslexic I am curious how or why web content is /could be better for us?

That being said, I am more interested about your dyslexia comment. As both my daughter and I are dyslexic I am curious how or why web content is /could be better for us?
There are a number of different causes for dyslexia (I've had lots of long debates about clasifcation), so exact needs will vary. Which is kind of the point, PDF is hard to change.

A few things that help some dyslexics:

1) Text colour/background colour. Search scotopic sensitivity (AKA Irlen syndrome).

2) Font. Whilst dyslexic-friendly fonts are available, it's usually enough just to avoid fancy fonts. Serifs are a no-no. Ariel is probably the best common font.

3) Text size.

4) Avoid big blocks of text. Have plenty of white (or whatever colour helps) space. Notice how I tend to format my posts?

Remove ads