• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

spells you think are the wrong level

Tessarael

Explorer
MerricB said:
I think Heal is correct; it's the lower-level spells that need adjusting. Perhaps, 1d8, 3d8, 5d8, 7d8?

It really depends on how much you want a party to be able to recharge before resting. I agree with Merric, some boosting would not go astray. Another option would be to make the standard healing spells range close rather than touch and have lower level or same level versions that heal more at range touch, or have mass curing type spells earlier as well. Plenty of ways to boost curing spells a little without breaking the game.

Huw

First Post
boolean said:
You weren't letting them use both DMM and DS in the same round, were you?

No, I was planning to do it myself :]

Honour (and the easily overlooked little sentence from Complete Divine you posted :uhoh: ) have made me make the character less cheesy.

In my defence, the DM is a terrible munchkin, and has told us anything goes. So far no Incantatrices or Frenzied Berserkers - but as I said, he's DM'ing, not playing, and I think all the players are too nice.

Gold Roger

First Post
Huw said:
No, I was planning to do it myself :]

Honour (and the easily overlooked little sentence from Complete Divine you posted :uhoh: ) have made me make the character less cheesy.

In my defence, the DM is a terrible munchkin, and has told us anything goes. So far no Incantatrices or Frenzied Berserkers - but as I said, he's DM'ing, not playing, and I think all the players are too nice.

No sweat, use the PHB2 alternate class feature that replaces sponaneous curing with spontaneous domain spells. Makes the combo cost one turning less to.

Huw

First Post
Gold Roger said:
No sweat, use the PHB2 alternate class feature that replaces sponaneous curing with spontaneous domain spells. Makes the combo cost one turning less to.

He doesn't have PHB2. I've offered to lend him it. At the moment allowable sources are Complete ..., Races of ..., and some of the FR books.

full_moon_draw

First Post
How about Arc of Lightning (from the spell compendium) for a spell that's powerful for it's level (seem to remember it's Druid 4, Wizard/Sorcerer 5)

Same sort of damage as a lightning bolt, but to multiple targets & there's no SR.

Personally I feel it's about right - but two of my DMs feel the spell is way over the top! May be it's cos it ignores their pet monsters of the hour's SR that causes this reaction? I don't know. But I wondered what others though of the spell?

Cheers - FMD

shilsen

Adventurer
full_moon_draw said:
How about Arc of Lightning (from the spell compendium) for a spell that's powerful for it's level (seem to remember it's Druid 4, Wizard/Sorcerer 5)

Same sort of damage as a lightning bolt, but to multiple targets & there's no SR.

Personally I feel it's about right - but two of my DMs feel the spell is way over the top! May be it's cos it ignores their pet monsters of the hour's SR that causes this reaction? I don't know. But I wondered what others though of the spell?

Cheers - FMD
I don't think it's way over the top, but I don't like the fact that it ignores SR, so I house-ruled that aspect away. I've never cared for many of the conjurations that ignore SR.

BTW, have you noted that, as a Conjuration (Creation) spell with instantaneous duration, once you cast Arc of Lightning it is supposed to hang around indefinitely? See PHB pg.173 for details.

Hussar

Legend
I heartily agree with the point that Conjuration spells should NOT be doing energy effects. That's the whole point of the Evocation school. Conjuration should be bringing in objects/creatures, but never energy.

This, IMO, really needs to be addressed. It makes Conjuration WAY too powerful if you get direct damage spells as well as summoning.

Shade

Monster Junkie
boolean said:
"Lesser restoration dispels any magical effects reducing on of the subject's ability scores (such as ray of enfeeblement)..."

The three round casting time means it isn't very useful, but it does work.

Oops! I suppose it doesn't hurt to go back and actually read the spells from time to time. I've been playing with some of these spells for so long that they don't get looked up anymore, which obviously can lead to problems. :eek:

lukelightning

First Post
Hussar said:
It makes Conjuration WAY too powerful if you get direct damage spells as well as summoning.

I don't have a problem with direct-damage conjuration spells, but I don't think conjuration should get a free pass to bypass SR. It's idiotic that a conjured fire can bypass SR while evoked fire can't.

painandgreed

First Post
STARP_Social_Officer said:
I've always thought Raise Dead is a pretty over-powerful spell for 5th level. A 9th-level Cleric is bringing back the dead - that's a pretty hard-core miracle, when you think about it.

Well, back when the spell lists were created, 9th level was "name level' IIRC and considered the begining of high level. At that level, they were supposed to be preforming some hard-core miracles. Now that the game has been respeced so that the average campaign is supposed to end in epic level play, it has become mid level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads