stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

James Heard

Explorer
Janis twitches and looks askance toward the circle before addressing the group.

" The circle... whatever it once was for, it's broken now. Someone, something...I think they've been feeding it," she says, her brow deepening.

" It stinks of death and fear. Maybe we won't have to go down into the cave pre-emptively, if we could somehow destroy the witches circle?" Janis speculates and ponders.

OOC: Relevant skill checks I guess? Is it an actual magic item, or is just a big expensive magical focus, or something else?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
James Heard said:
color=slategrey] OOC: Relevant skill checks I guess? Is it an actual magic item, or is just a big expensive magical focus, or something else?[/color]
[Spellcraft and Knowledge (arcana)]

The circle itself does not seem to have been broken, only worn down over the years. On closer examination, Janis is certain it used to be a circle for holy rites. She suspects, however, due to the wear and tear on it, that the circle no longer distinguishes between holy and unholy acts, and will empower any who attempt to us it now. A perfect quality when witches come calling.

James Heard

Explorer
" Hrm, I think that one of you others would be better suited to this, " Janis says, waving at the circle.

" Maybe, instead of breaking it, we'd be better off summoning something to aid in advocating it for a more pure purpose? Does anyone have any magic that could serve the cause directly?"

stonegod

[Janis suspects that only powerful magic (e.g., hallow) or an expensive retooling of the circle would fix its impurities.

James Heard

Explorer
stonegod said:
[Janis suspects that only powerful magic (e.g., hallow) or an expensive retooling of the circle would fix its impurities.

Yeah yeah, but I was hoping that with all these almost priests someone could pull a celestial with the goods out of their behind. :D

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Janis said:
"Maybe, instead of breaking it, we'd be better off summoning something to aid in advocating it for a more pure purpose? Does anyone have any magic that could serve the cause directly?"
Jarrith shakes his head. "Never got into calling on others. I have a hard enough time keeping myself and Khensu in check." he chuckles to himself.

"So it's a no-go on the bear, huh? Well if Daellin's staying up here to watch over the horses and cover our backs... having the bear here too wouldn't be a bad idea. Question then is whether you're staying up here too, Janis... or coming down with us? But I think it's time we get this thing started."

Jarrith nods, then begins to descend the ladder into the shaft.

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn quietly dismounts as the others investigate. She then turns to face her mount and stares into its eyes a moment. In that moment the two communicate empathically, I am going below the ground ... Guard the herd ... yes, even the big furry one ... Speak with me like this if danger comes.

After a long moment Ashlyn turns and walks over to the ladder upon which Jarrith has begun to descend. As she arrives, she turns to listen to Janis and at Janis's words she shakes her head and replies "I'm afraid that my expertise lies elsewhere ... perhaps one of the others ... ?"

stonegod

The party descends into the earth, Daellin, Janis, and her bear staying above. It is 50 foot climb, and Jarrith's sunrod makes the shadows dance as they move. The air is strangely warm, almost tropical in its humidity, and there is a strong sickly-sweet aroma in the air.

At the bottom of the ladder, the cavern opens up into a largish landing, with two passages bending north and south into darkness. Everywhere the group looks, odd plants that are very out of place underground and in Barovia cling to every surface. Though the group is tense for a moment, nothing reacts to their descent, leaving them with a decision of where to go next.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith puts an index finger to his lips in the universal symbol to be silent, pulls the sunrod out from his pack and hands it to Perrwimple, then he moves to the northern tunnel and enters it a few feet. He stops and stands rock still, doing his best to listen for any sound that might be reverberating up from the tunnel. (Listen check +4)

If he hears nothing of note, he moves to the southern tunnel to do the same thing.

stonegod

As Jarrith moves quietly to the north passageway, the distinct lack of screams indicates to Janis that her companions are still alive and unassailed. As she climbs down, she overcome by the wrongness of the place. Her dealings with the Eldeens and her own studies had given her an inkling on the natural order of these, and this cave was highly unnatural. The flora belonged more to steamy Q'Barra than to the cold Karrnathi countryside, but even then, the shapes of the leaves were all wrong. [Knowledge (nature)]

Peering north, Jarrith sees the passage extend 20 feet until it meets a steep cliffside, a difficult climb. However, nothing moves. To the south, the passageway quickly bends out of side, but the shadow of strange vegetation seems to indicate a sloping corridor to the west.

Remove ads