D&D 5E Storm King's Thunder [OOC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I will be travelling tomorrow and will be offline until I find suitable WiFi spot. May happen I don't post for couple of days

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I can update over the weekend, I'm on vacation and away from the books and computer. Game on, hopefully we're not jumping into orc combat immediately. Right?!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
[MENTION=6873732]seriousmoonlight[/MENTION] I can't remember if you are allowing feats. What do you (and anyone else) think of Aremus taking "Inspiring Leader" (I think of it more as "Infectious Optimism") - It would mean that with 10 minutes of prep, Aremus could give six of us 7 temporay hit points. That's 42 extra HP for the party, given the right circumstances.

I haven't played much with feats, not because I or my DMs don't allow them, just because most of us seem to feel that stat-bumps are usually "better'. I just felt like being different here....

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I have Inspiring Leader on Errol. He has a +1 Charisma, but it's still very useful.

Stat bumps to cap on your primary attributes are mechanically probably better, but if you have a strong concept, Feats are great. 5e is great in that there isn't the "to hit" race that 3 and 4 had because of bounded accuracy. It's very forgiving of so-called "sub-optimal" builds. If you see Aremus as an inspiring leader, take the feat! Don't worry about the mechanics too much :) You'll get more ASIs.

TallIan

Explorer
Feats were allowed (or I am playing an illegal character with the lucky feat).

I really like them and I have never found taking them to be detrimental, they certainly make the character more interesting at the very least and often better than a feat. The mastery feats for fighters are a good example of a feat giving you more than the ASI would.

Fistan is the first character where I can say none of the feats are tempting enough to delay the ASI, wizards are just too focused on INT.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Don't worry about the mechanics too much :) You'll get more ASIs.

Oh, I always play like that. I didn't mean to imply that we do it because we strongly feel it's a better choice (I have no optimisers in my IRL games, really), but partly that we're lazy and we know that ASIs will be useful for the character, and we're not always sure about feats. Also, it makes levelling up way faster just to bump a Stat than to go "hmmm... let's look at these feats!"

In my case, I DM more than I play, so for someone who's played 5e at least twice a week since the playtest started, I can be a little unfamiliar on the specifics of certain character options. (If I haven't seen them in play and haven't used them myself, I probably haven't read what they do since the day the book came out.)

Thanks for responses, gang! I'm going to take it.

But don't think of Aremus as an "Inspiring Leader" but more of an "Infectiously Confident Companion"

Remove ads