• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Storms of Change OOC Part 4

Manzanita

First Post
It's water under the bridge at this point, but for my own rules edification, I want to ask about the combat. Manzanita was trying to run directly away from the gnoll before casting her spell. That doesn't cause an AoO does it? Is that what the gnoll took? Or was it simply his turn?

Manzanita

First Post
You're right, Silentspace, as I knew you would be. I had thought you could retreat w/o provoking an AoO if you retreated directly away and thus didn't move through any threatened areas. Upon reviewing the SRD, I see that this is not so. (did this change in 3.5?)

Manzanita could have taken a 5 foot step back and cast her spell w/o provoking an AoO, couldn't she have? Or she could have done a withdraw, which is a double move, but no attack.

In retrospect, her goal was to cast her spell and avoid an AoO. She should have simply taking a 5 foot step away and cast.

Manzanita

First Post
I knew it would cause a bit of interparty conflict, but I felt Manzanita would feel no pity for the gnolls and offer them no mercy. She'd like one alive to charm and send back to its kin, but the party isn't in a position to hold them captive. I think its w/in her alignment.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads