• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strange New Worlds season 2 - SPOILERS

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Ryujin

Legend
Mood right now.

363417371_10159765050153691_687583592531609807_n.jpg

Kaodi

Hero
I am not caught up so I am not going to read the rest of the thread right now but I was watching the first half of the J'Gal episode last night and the commander was named "Buck Martinez" which 100% has to be a tribute to Buck Martinez, the Blue Jays announcer, given that SNW is shot in Toronto.

Good finale. Not sure what the budget is for this show but Disney take notes

I thought for sure the transporter trick from season 1 was going to be used so in that I was disappointed but I am enjoying the enemy

Finale is SNW's Best of Both Worlds. Except this time we have ongoing strikes, so the wait will be forever. gaargh

I enjoyed it, the only thing that bothered me is the convenience of Chapel not only seeing Enterprise from her window, but also Spock! But I guess they could have invented any other reason why she knows they're out there.

Scotty sounded very scottish...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'd like it if they started giving us a few rationalizations for the behavior of the Gorn. They are, at the same moment, nearly beasts, subject to instinctual drives driven by light exposure, and intelligent beings who can make and fly starships and send messages to governments to set territorial boundaries?

I know that giving us enough information to rationalize that behavior would effectively break canon, but the inconsistencies are otherwise starting to look arbitrary, which can be convenient for storytelling, but isn't great worldbuilding.

MarkB

Legend
I'd like it if they started giving us a few rationalizations for the behavior of the Gorn. They are, at the same moment, nearly beasts, subject to instinctual drives driven by light exposure, and intelligent beings who can make and fly starships and send messages to governments to set territorial boundaries?

I know that giving us enough information to rationalize that behavior would effectively break canon, but the inconsistencies are otherwise starting to look arbitrary, which can be convenient for storytelling, but isn't great worldbuilding.
I think what they're working towards is a race that is intelligent but still driven by strong instincts, to the extent that they've built aspects of their society around them.

This is something that Star Trek likes to examine. Look at Ponn Far in Vulcans - not the sexual aspect that seems to be emphasised in subsequent depictions, but the salmon-like homing instinct that drives them to return to their place of birth even across interstellar distances.

What I hope they ultimately do is use this as a lens through which to look at some of the unexamined assumptions in our own social structures.

Ryujin

Legend

Given that the Gorn are a thing at all, at this point, means that canon isn't an issue to them at all. At this point they're already calling out ship types they encounter and with Kirk spending almost as much time on the ship as Pike (exaggeration for effect) there should be no way that he would be at all surprised after encountering one, in person, in the episode "Arena" of TOS.

As humans we have our own instinctive responses that are so ingrained, that we don't even think about them. Adrenal activity for fight/flight response. A tendency to freeze in place when startled. Examining alien species that have different instinctive responses makes for interesting SciFi storytelling, I think.

Remove ads